Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Carpet or hard surface? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/carpet-hard-surface-t262709.html)

ajakol 03-16-2015 06:34 AM

Carpet or hard surface?

I am turning my Hoarder Porch into my sewing/craft room. Can anyone give me their recommendation for flooring? What cleans up better? The old carpet has to come out and new something to replace it. The room is quit long and narrow and will have a bed set on one end. White ceilings, white washed knotty pine paneling and white trimmed windows. Going for the beachy Nantucket look.

Tartan 03-16-2015 06:48 AM

I have a low pile Berber type carpet in my sewing room. I like it because it keeps my threads in that room. I do have to vacuum once in a while. My rolling chair rolls well on it but stays in place when I' m sewing. There are advantages to both carpet and tile so go with what you like.

Nammie to 7 03-16-2015 06:57 AM

For me it would depend on the climate -- if in a warm all year climate I would probably go with wood. If I needed it to be warmer in the winter I would go with carpet. I've never had a choice of flooring as my room was a bedroom and it already had carpeting.

NJ Quilter 03-16-2015 07:09 AM

In my sewing room I have hardwood with an area rug under my cutting table. I like that it helps absorb some of the noise as well as warms it up a bit. We recently installed vinyl plank flooring in our dining room and are planning to put that in our bedroom as well. Still looking for an area rug for the dining room that I like well enough to pay that much $$ for. Will do the same in the bedroom. The vinyl cleans very easily and truly looks like wood. Allure brand from Home Depot. It's very soft to walk/stand on. Does not scratch like wood.

MarionsQuilts 03-16-2015 07:24 AM

I'm in the basement so a bit cooler .. I have laminate throughout the whole basement.

In my sewing area I have a small area rug (very THIN) under my feet / machine to catch threads, pins, etc.

I can easily toss it in the machine when needed

Sewnoma 03-16-2015 08:11 AM

I love hardwood or laminate flooring - when vacuuming I use the hose and the wind it creates when I push it into crevices picks up stuff from an amazing distance - that wouldn't work on carpet. Helps keep behind things where I can't reach from getting too linty!

I use a "high traffic" rug-mat under my chair - one of those low-pile, non-slip mats like businesses put in front of their doors during wet weather. Catches pins before they can bounce away and protects the floor from my chair wheels and is easy to roll around on.

I put a kitchen mat in front of my cutting table to help with hard surface fatigue - it's a nice plush memory foam mat that looks nicer than one of those black rubber ones would look and is very nice to stand on. (My sewing room is my living room so I try to keep it at least semi-attractive.)

jbud2 03-16-2015 08:18 AM

Just installed vinyl plank flooring in the sewing/spare bedroom last week. Love the look of it! I am now in the process of putting everything back in the room, in the closets, and shelves. I need to get a mat or rug to put under my sewing chair - it's on rollers and the salesman highly recommended we do that. I did have a small area rug that I put where the ironing board will sit. Just in case the iron drops to the floor for some weird reason.

grandma nurse 03-16-2015 01:04 PM

I have laminate floors and didn't realize that some wheels on the chairs could break the laminate. I now have a carpet over the ruined floor at my sewing machine. It was a good quality of laminate but I never considered or knew that some wheels would damage the laminate. I don't know what I will used when I redo.

tessagin 03-16-2015 01:35 PM

We have hardwood throughout the house and vinyl in the kitchen, ceramic tile in the bath. I use a micro fiber dust mop often and the Swiffer. Hairy shedding dogs. Am not fond of carpet and never have been would rather have couple area rugs in bedrooms for the cooler mornings. I can grab the broom then the telescope magnet (from theautomotive store) to pick up the pins and any needles. Another reason not to let the pups in the sewing room.

Mariposa 03-16-2015 06:22 PM

Do YOU have a preference? Ease in maintenance for you? I'd vote for a berber type carpet. Wood floors are too noisy and cold for me.