Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Cleaning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/cleaning-t181353.html)

EllieGirl 03-02-2012 06:26 AM

Cleaning

How often do you clean your sewing room? Mine has hardwood floors and underneath the cutting table it gets dust bunnies quickly. We converted our den that has built in shelves into my sewing room, so I have plenty of shelf space but the room is small, maybe 8x8. I'm starting to pile up a bunch of stuff under the table that are too big for the shelves. I see threads on the floor and just would rather sew than clean! lol

LynnVT 03-02-2012 06:58 AM

I sew in my living room, so when company is due I have to put everything away and fold up my sewing unit. That is, unless it's a quilter or other crafter who would be nonjudgmental and not mind sitting in a mess. I love order, but when I quilt, there is stuff all over. Now and then, it's nice to clean up and start over again.

mighty 03-02-2012 07:20 AM

I clean when I clean the rest of the house. I pick up everyday and keep neat. I can not stand to work in a mess.

RonieM 03-02-2012 07:23 AM

My sewing room is above our detached garage, so I am usually the only person out there. I pick up after every project to keep things tidy and vacuum when the threads start to bug me or my husband has tracked mud up there while he is on a candy search. A couple of times a year, I pull everything that is moveable out and clean under them. Otherwise, if I can't see it, I don't worry about it. :)

quiltyfeelings 03-02-2012 07:42 AM

My mom always says, "a messy room is the sign of a creative mind." I'm going with it :)

Pat-w 03-02-2012 07:46 AM

My sewing room is also my guest room, so it gets cleaned properly when I know I have guests coming to stay. Otherwise, I try to straighten up between projects and vacuum when the threads start to bug me. I do have carpeting, so I keep a little sweeper cleaner handy for quick thread cleanup. Why waste time cleaning when you can be sewing!

elizajo 03-02-2012 08:16 AM

I moved my sewing machine and table to the master bedroom while my MIL was staying in the guest bedroom/sewing room for a month. I've left it there for a few more weeks because she may need to come back and stay while she recovers from another surgery. I like the light in my bedroom, but the thread on the floor is driving me crazy, so I end up vacuuming several times a week. I don't have my organizational drawers nearby either, just a table top. My usual organizing routine for placing notions, presser feet, and pieces of my project feels out of sync. I waste valuable sewing time finding where I laid something down on that table! I'm trying to finish some summer clothing before I can reward myself with quilting time, so I don't like to waste minutes of my sewing time. I'll be glad when I can reassemble my ironing table and put my sewing cabinet and machine back in the guest bedroom.

Tartan 03-02-2012 08:39 AM

I vacuum the sewing room once a week in my regular house cleaning circuit. I dust all my tables first to get all the threads and fuzz onto to the floor to vacuum. My "stuff" I straighten after each project. I do NOT major clean my sewing room. I'm still looking for stuff since making that mistake last year.

fayzer 03-02-2012 08:44 AM

I got a swiffer vac. I can clean my hardwood floors in a minute or two. Love that thing. It even picks up small scraps.

luvTooQuilt 03-02-2012 08:50 AM

I clean when I cant find my sewing machine anymore.. :shock: