Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Design wall: batting, fleece or batting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/design-wall-batting-fleece-batting-t181577.html)

Retiredandquilting 03-05-2012 03:45 AM

I used flannel!

Difergie 03-05-2012 05:20 AM

Flannel works great. I bought on sale sheets at kmart.

valleyquiltermo 03-05-2012 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG (Post 5030478)
Yesterday at JoAnne's I saw a Fons and Porter Design Wall for $20+ and all it was was a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth (at least from initial appearances)...I couldn't believe it!

Yes and I can get them at the dollar store for $3.00, have been using mine for 10 years now. Pretty good return on $3.00 I'd say.

gardnergal970 03-05-2012 05:34 AM

I tried the Fons and Porter design wall and was disappointed. A good flannel backed tablecloth would do as good in fact that's how I would describe it. I just out cotton batting on mine because I had some extra and it works great over the insulation board. The other day I had a quilt up but needed to look at another project so I simply layered on another piece of batting and put it up. The first layer stayed just fine after I removed the added project and batting.

valleyquiltermo 03-05-2012 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman (Post 5032329)
We just purchased the "Disappearing Design Wall" from the internet. I fits over the closet doors and when you don't need it you can just leave on your pieces of fabric, and roll it up on the blind - it is like the flannel backed tablecloths that you see. The shelf that holds the design wall, has a shelf on top, so you can use it for various items. It is really nice, and the wooden shelf is made from a really light wood. You can get them any colors that you like.

That is really cool, I'm going to make me one for my new studio. Thank you for posting this.

ShirlinAZ 03-05-2012 06:45 AM

I love my foam board covered with white flannel. A lap size top will cling nicely without pins. Larger sections or quilted pieces get pins stuck in just to be sure they don't land on the floor. I used upholstery flannel - 54" wide.

anita211 03-05-2012 06:47 AM

You might think I am nuts, but I use flannel on an old projector screen. When it isn't being used, it can be rolled up with the blocks inside. I have two... and if I need the extra room, I put the other up and use them both together.

Anita in Northfield

damaquilts 03-05-2012 07:36 AM

I found some white flannel in a thrift store and use that. works fine for me.

AZ Jane 03-05-2012 07:48 AM

Old vinyl fabric-backed tablecloth. That way I can take to classes with me. But I'm new and need a lot of classes!!!! LOL

chaskaquilter 03-05-2012 07:54 AM

I have a big flannel backed table cloth pinned to my wall with tacks. Holds beautifully and was only a few bucks. Tablecloth is sure ugly, but no one sees that.