Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Design wall: batting, fleece or batting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/design-wall-batting-fleece-batting-t181577.html)

mom-6 03-06-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by chaskaquilter (Post 5033058)
I have a big flannel backed table cloth pinned to my wall with tacks. Holds beautifully and was only a few bucks. Tablecloth is sure ugly, but no one sees that.

Same here!

I do use pins once I've started stitching the blocks together in rows as they are too heavy to stay up then.

quiltstringz 03-06-2012 07:22 AM

I used a cotton blend batting (80/20) I think it may have been warm and natural but can't remember. We have had it up for 3-1/2 years and if it gets looking bad (too many threads) just roll a lint roller over it. Not only do we use it (it is over at my mom's house) but her Senior group all comes over and uses it and I have a group that meets twice a month and they all use it. Can't comment on fleece or felt as I haven't tried it, but I think it works better than the flannel.

QuiltE 03-06-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 (Post 5034511)
Wonder how hard it would be to use a sharpie and make grids? Are they necessary??

Not necessary ... but they can be helpful when laying out blocks to help keep all straight and square.

I have loved my fuzzy wall (black polar fleece) right from the beginning and never thought of grids.
At a course at a LQS they had design walls with the grids at 2" spacings in a pale blue on the white flannel ... it was pretty nice when we came to putting our OBW hexes on the wall.

I still love my fuzzy wall and will not be changing it, but yes, every once in awhile I think oh how nice it'd be!

sunnymom 03-06-2012 08:21 AM

I bought a flannel sheet set on e-bay in white and in king size. It works really well for my design wall, I love it! They were only 29.00 on e-bay and they were Martha Stewart brand which was nice and thick :) When fuzzies are on the design wall I just take a lint roll to it and that works great as everything wants to stick to the flannel including my sheepdog's hair! :)

QuiltnLady1 03-06-2012 01:46 PM

My design wall is 2 4x8 insullation boards. I covered it with warm and natural -- it is still great after 10 years.

JeanieG 03-06-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 5029816)
I've successfully used craft felt from Joann's for many years now. It's wide so covers the whole 4 x 8 foot insulation board that I've used and cleans up easily when covered with threads by a tape roller being rolled over it. I worried this action might ruin the "stickiness" of the felt, but it doesn't.

Yes, this is what I got on mine too. Works just great, and the price was very reasonable.

cwcquilters 03-07-2012 07:56 AM

A flannel backed vinyl tablecloth is great to use. Much less expensive than the Fons & Porter.

Podunk Princess 03-07-2012 09:13 AM

I purchased the design wall from Keepsake Quilting many years ago. It appears to be made out of a light-weight felt. I've even washed it and it still holds everything great.

RonieM 03-07-2012 12:24 PM

I use batting, mostly because I purchase my batting by the bolt (20-30 yds at a time) and that is what I had a lot of on hand.

JUNEC 03-07-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman (Post 5032329)
We just purchased the "Disappearing Design Wall" from the internet. I fits over the closet doors and when you don't need it you can just leave on your pieces of fabric, and roll it up on the blind - it is like the flannel backed tablecloths that you see. The shelf that holds the design wall, has a shelf on top, so you can use it for various items. It is really nice, and the wooden shelf is made from a really light wood. You can get them any colors that you like.

http://www.vanishingdesignwall.com/
Wow what a great idea - thank you for sharing it with us