Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Design "Wall" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/design-wall-t248320.html)

MsHeirloom 06-12-2014 05:39 AM

Design "Wall"

In my continuing effort to declutter and redecorate my studio my biggy yesterday was to finally get a "design wall." I have very little wall space, so I just made one for the back of a shelving unit that is placed jutting out into the room (think room decider). Small, but convenient and serviceable. After all my internet exploration, the consensus seems to be that automotive headliner fabric is the best for design walls. Fabric patches stick to that better than flannel which many people use. On the internet and on here, many quilters have two 4 X 8' foam insulation boards covered with flannel and mounted on a wall of their studio. In my dreams would I have room for that! Gray color is recommended. This particular shelf is 36" wide. I only had to buy a yard- it's 60" wide. Nice and thick with a foam backing. I put a pink corduroy binding on the rectangle, turned it sideways, and clipped it to the back of the shelf. Ta Da! A design wall. I then clipped a similarly sized quilt over top of that for visual appeal. When I want to design, I'll flip up the quilt. It would also be a nice, portable item to take to a quilting escape sometime in the future.

Sewnoma 06-12-2014 05:46 AM

That's a great idea!

I intend to get foam boards at some point, right now my design wall is just flannel tacked to the wall. It works, but it could be better. I know the local Joann's carries this headliner fabric. I just might have to give this a try!

I have a curtain wire I'm going to put up over my design wall, with a curtain I can pull if people are coming over and I want to hide whatever is in progress. (Either because it's not working out, or because it's a gift for someone that's coming over!) But I like your quilt idea too.

And, I'm sure this was just a typo, but I cracked up at "room decider" - it's pretty appropriate actually; it "decides" where the room boundary is! I might just start calling them that from now on. LOL

Prim Quilts 06-12-2014 07:24 AM

Sounds great!

MsHeirloom 06-12-2014 07:50 AM

Yes, Sewnoma- It's a typo, but since I don't know how to edit it, and, as you mentioned it's very appropriate, I'll leave it. LOL!!! By the way, I used a 50% off coupon for the headliner. They had 2 shades of gray, black, and tan. $14.99 a yard. So at half price, $7.50, and binding I already had, I have a nice, attractive, and inexpensive design wall.

Sewnoma 06-12-2014 08:07 AM

I'm glad you're laughing - after I posted that I worried that you might think I was being snarky!

Headliner fabric is a heck of a lot easier to fit into my little roadster than big ol' honkin' foam insulation boards too! That's the main reason it's not done yet, I don't have a good way to pick them up. But I think this might actually be better so that worked out, didn't it? :)

I actually have some headliner scraps around - I use it to make little padded zipper bags for my DH's photography "stuff". I think my Joann's only has the grey, but I will look for tan - that's the color of my walls so that'd probably look best.

Looks like I'll be going to Joann's this weekend! Oh darn!

ManiacQuilter2 06-12-2014 11:57 AM

Eleanor Burns used automotive headliner for her design wall seen on the TV series. I assumed that it was more expensive than flannel. I always buy my flannel during the Thanksgiving holiday at JAF. Wish you had posted a picture.

MsHeirloom 06-12-2014 12:53 PM

I will publish a picture when I have my studio straightened out enough to get a clear shot of the area! I promise. Once I get this room done, there will be lots of pictures. Thanks for your interest.

nwm50 06-13-2014 04:50 AM

Yes those car headliner fabric works! I have a smaller piece for couple sized blocks for visual decision making on back
Of my door.

Gerbie 06-13-2014 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom (Post 6755523)
In my continuing effort to declutter and redecorate my studio my biggy yesterday was to finally get a "design wall." I have very little wall space, so I just made one for the back of a shelving unit that is placed jutting out into the room (think room decider). Small, but convenient and serviceable. After all my internet exploration, the consensus seems to be that automotive headliner fabric is the best for design walls. Fabric patches stick to that better than flannel which many people use. On the internet and on here, many quilters have two 4 X 8' foam insulation boards covered with flannel and mounted on a wall of their studio. In my dreams would I have room for that! Gray color is recommended. This particular shelf is 36" wide. I only had to buy a yard- it's 60" wide. Nice and thick with a foam backing. I put a pink corduroy binding on the rectangle, turned it sideways, and clipped it to the back of the shelf. Ta Da! A design wall. I then clipped a similarly sized quilt over top of that for visual appeal. When I want to design, I'll flip up the quilt. It would also be a nice, portable item to take to a quilting escape sometime in the future.

Question please - where did you find this fabric do you have a site ? I am interested in this. Thanks!!

Oops didn't read all of the posts, will check at Joann's the next time I get to the town that has a Joann's - nearest one is 85 miles away, so can't get there on a daily basis. lol.

citruscountyquilter 06-13-2014 05:59 AM

I have a large design wall that I hang when needed but I made a smaller one out of a foam presentation board (2x3) and covered it with flannel to use to illustrate a quilt block that I was doing a program for guild. I'm surprised at how much I use that board at home too. It's certainly not appropriate for a quilt but for smaller projects or to keep blocks out of the way it is just the ticket.

Thanks for the suggestion on headliner fabric. What a great idea. It would have never occurred to me.