Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Design "Wall"

Design "Wall"

In my continuing effort to declutter and redecorate my studio my biggy yesterday was to finally get a "design wall." I have very little wall space, so I just made one for the back of a shelving unit that is placed jutting out into the room (think room decider). Small, but convenient and serviceable. After all my internet exploration, the consensus seems to be that automotive headliner fabric is the best for design walls. Fabric patches stick to that better than flannel which many people use. On the internet and on here, many quilters have two 4 X 8' foam insulation boards covered with flannel and mounted on a wall of their studio. In my dreams would I have room for that! Gray color is recommended. This particular shelf is 36" wide. I only had to buy a yard- it's 60" wide. Nice and thick with a foam backing. I put a pink corduroy binding on the rectangle, turned it sideways, and clipped it to the back of the shelf. Ta Da! A design wall. I then clipped a similarly sized quilt over top of that for visual appeal. When I want to design, I'll flip up the quilt. It would also be a nice, portable item to take to a quilting escape sometime in the future.

That's a great idea!

I intend to get foam boards at some point, right now my design wall is just flannel tacked to the wall. It works, but it could be better. I know the local Joann's carries this headliner fabric. I just might have to give this a try!

I have a curtain wire I'm going to put up over my design wall, with a curtain I can pull if people are coming over and I want to hide whatever is in progress. (Either because it's not working out, or because it's a gift for someone that's coming over!) But I like your quilt idea too.

And, I'm sure this was just a typo, but I cracked up at "room decider" - it's pretty appropriate actually; it "decides" where the room boundary is! I might just start calling them that from now on. LOL

Sounds great!

Yes, Sewnoma- It's a typo, but since I don't know how to edit it, and, as you mentioned it's very appropriate, I'll leave it. LOL!!! By the way, I used a 50% off coupon for the headliner. They had 2 shades of gray, black, and tan. $14.99 a yard. So at half price, $7.50, and binding I already had, I have a nice, attractive, and inexpensive design wall.

I'm glad you're laughing - after I posted that I worried that you might think I was being snarky!

Headliner fabric is a heck of a lot easier to fit into my little roadster than big ol' honkin' foam insulation boards too! That's the main reason it's not done yet, I don't have a good way to pick them up. But I think this might actually be better so that worked out, didn't it?

I actually have some headliner scraps around - I use it to make little padded zipper bags for my DH's photography "stuff". I think my Joann's only has the grey, but I will look for tan - that's the color of my walls so that'd probably look best.

Looks like I'll be going to Joann's this weekend! Oh darn!

Eleanor Burns used automotive headliner for her design wall seen on the TV series. I assumed that it was more expensive than flannel. I always buy my flannel during the Thanksgiving holiday at JAF. Wish you had posted a picture.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I will publish a picture when I have my studio straightened out enough to get a clear shot of the area! I promise. Once I get this room done, there will be lots of pictures. Thanks for your interest.

Yes those car headliner fabric works! I have a smaller piece for couple sized blocks for visual decision making on back
    Of my door.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
    In my continuing effort to declutter and redecorate my studio my biggy yesterday was to finally get a "design wall." I have very little wall space, so I just made one for the back of a shelving unit that is placed jutting out into the room (think room decider). Small, but convenient and serviceable. After all my internet exploration, the consensus seems to be that automotive headliner fabric is the best for design walls. Fabric patches stick to that better than flannel which many people use. On the internet and on here, many quilters have two 4 X 8' foam insulation boards covered with flannel and mounted on a wall of their studio. In my dreams would I have room for that! Gray color is recommended. This particular shelf is 36" wide. I only had to buy a yard- it's 60" wide. Nice and thick with a foam backing. I put a pink corduroy binding on the rectangle, turned it sideways, and clipped it to the back of the shelf. Ta Da! A design wall. I then clipped a similarly sized quilt over top of that for visual appeal. When I want to design, I'll flip up the quilt. It would also be a nice, portable item to take to a quilting escape sometime in the future.
    Question please - where did you find this fabric do you have a site ? I am interested in this. Thanks!!

Oops didn't read all of the posts, will check at Joann's the next time I get to the town that has a Joann's - nearest one is 85 miles away, so can't get there on a daily basis. lol.
    Last edited by Gerbie; 06-13-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have a large design wall that I hang when needed but I made a smaller one out of a foam presentation board (2x3) and covered it with flannel to use to illustrate a quilt block that I was doing a program for guild. I'm surprised at how much I use that board at home too. It's certainly not appropriate for a quilt but for smaller projects or to keep blocks out of the way it is just the ticket.

Thanks for the suggestion on headliner fabric. What a great idea. It would have never occurred to me.

I really love your idea! Thanks for the telling us how you did it!

Power Poster
    I have a Fons and Porter portable design wall. It cost about 18 dollars and I put it on hooks on the wall so I can take it down at anytime...I love it...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing, can't wait for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    Question please - where did you find this fabric do you have a site ? I am interested in this. Thanks!!

Oops didn't read all of the posts, will check at Joann's the next time I get to the town that has a Joann's - nearest one is 85 miles away, so can't get there on a daily basis. lol.
    Fabric.com carries it too. My local Joann's (both of them) only have dark grey in stock, so I went online & found it in tan at Fabric.com and ordered that. I think it'll "blend" with my walls better than the dark grey. Now I'm just waiting impatiently for it to arrive!

I found a number of vendors on eBay as well. There are a surprising number of colors of this headliner fabric available. I wonder if local upholstery shops might have it or know a source if one really wants/needs a specific color. Now, I'd love to put it on my closet door in my quilting room. I'd like tan or pink for that room. It would also make a nice, big design wall. I think I could put a spray adhesive on the doors and apply the fabric. I just don't know if the doors would then function as they are bi-pass doors.

Sewnoma- let me know when your headliner arrives and what you think. Better to let the delivery person bring the fabric to your home than trying to fit it in your roadster!
    I continue with my organization project. It's feeling never-ending, but I am making progress. If I only had quilting things to organize...

If you want the foam boards but don't have space, they work great in front of bookcases of fabric. They are handy and the fabric from lite.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-20-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps