Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Dining room = Sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/dining-room-%3D-sewing-room-t232493.html)

girlsfour 10-16-2013 04:57 AM

I too use my dining room for a sewing room. It's only gets used a couple of times a year, so I just put everything away then. I don't really like to be isolated when I sew, so using the dining room works for me.

nygal 10-16-2013 05:00 AM

For YEARS I used my dining room table as my place to sew. My sweet husband didn't mind at all that I kept my projects out. We always found another place to eat our meals while I was actively working on a project. I can't post pictures of it since that was long ago. I have my own craft room now and I LOVE it. It was worth the wait to have an empty nest for the spare rooms!!

ohstr 10-16-2013 05:05 AM

DH so graciously gave up the attached garage for my quilting space - it is wonderful - painted the floor and the peg board - it was already heated and paneled - now it is 2 stalls of quilting heaven!!! I guess he finally got tired of hearing me whining about needing more space.....LOL!!!

tessagin 10-16-2013 05:17 AM

I know I'm blessed to be able to use the spare bedroom (youngest son's former bedroom) as my sewing room. After many said it was too far to travel to visit, I thought great the stay was too long anyway. I turned it into a utility room with the ironing board up then pulled out my sewing machine and stash. If I had no where to set up and be able to walk away and shut the door, I wouldn't be sewing. I do like your kitchen and hope your DH gets your room completed for you soon.

mighty 10-16-2013 06:48 AM

I use to use my dining room to sew. It is more like a nook than a dining room but it worked.

Carol34446 10-16-2013 07:10 AM

My husband has dinning room table covered with his junk, so I don't have even the dinning room table, someday! He also has one spare bedroom full of his "stuff" he does nothing with. Oh to have my own room, I would think I went to heaven.

irenecarter 10-16-2013 10:04 AM

I turned a bedroom into a sewing room when we moved in. Unfortunately, there isn't enough room for everything. so I bought a curio cabinet and filled it with fabric. I placed it in there according to color, and it looks pretty good. I guess I'm like a lot of others, I have sewing supplies in just about every room. It might not be right, but it works for me.

Vistacruise 10-16-2013 10:43 AM

I used our dining room to sew. I bought an old buffet that had a space for serving platters and such (cabinet doors) that was large enough for my sewing machine, cutting mat, and ironing pad so I could put everything away at the end of the day. It was not ideal because I had to put everything away, but having a nice sturdy dining room table (that was quite large) was great for tackling a project. Now that my GS has moved out, I use that spare bedroom as a sewing room. It is nice to leave everything out!

bearisgray 10-16-2013 10:47 AM

Those people - like my husband - that think they have to eat at the kitchen TABLE, for pete's sake!!!! There is a perfectly good coffee table in the living room that he can use!

CindyA 10-16-2013 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]441621[/ATTACH]

QuiltingNtheRain, YES I quilt in my dining room. And not just when I have a project going - pretty much all the time. We have a small round kitchen table in the kitchen for our family meals. But I need to clean out the dining room before family gatherings and book club. OK, that's the plain ugly truth!! :) See my computer screen on? That's on your post, I did not take time to straighten up. I took the picture as soon as I read your post.

I have NOT found a great way to keep things organized. I don't have a good place to store it when I have to clean it up. I have NO hope of getting a room for my quilting. I also have work items that I need to keep and some of them are on the floor right now beside the dining room table. I was going to clean it up so I can have friends over this weekend. I just found out it's only 2 of them, I know them well, they don't have the quilting/crafting bug and are both very tidy. BUT, we'll have the living room and kitchen.

In the picture, you can see my chair, I got a comfortable one because I just need it. See the dining room chairs stacked in the corner? They stay that way until I need them for company. There were just too many and the room is too small. To the left of my chair is the big ironing board. It's only up because I had some yardage that needed to be pressed. Usually I have a tv tray set up there with a small ironing board on top of it. You'll see a portable tv. It's for movies only. I can also stream on the laptop while I sew. I'm putting the binding on a snowball quilt, using my featherweight. The half-squares of red/white and green/white are leaders and enders (Bonnie Hunter's String Fling). Over on the buffett (to the right) you can see a binder laid out. It has my information for the Dear Jane I'm also working on. Just under the dining room table I have three stackable bins, maybe 10X15 and 8" deep that have some fabric and my completed DJ blocks.

So, there you have it and I'm so glad there's someone else out there still sewing on the dining room table! :)

PS The single best thing I have is the white plastic cart (to the left of the china cabinet). It is great for storing all my supplies (i.e. extra needles, pins, thread, fray check, hot glue gun, machine quilting supplies (pins, etc.). It has see through drawers which helps and I also label the front of each drawer.

Good luck.