Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Does anyone here keep their "stuff" in one space, but sew in another space? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/does-anyone-here-keep-their-stuff-one-space-but-sew-another-space-t241034.html)

Toni-in-Texas 02-13-2014 08:43 PM

You could have a folding screen to put in front of your sewing area when it's messy. On the back side of the screen, you can put hooks to hang tools on like ruler, cutters, scissors, etc. No one would even see the back side of the screen but you and everything would be handy.

Amythyst02 02-14-2014 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 6573354)
Try it and call it an exercise program.

exactly what I was going to say!!

lclang 02-14-2014 05:17 AM

I have a bedroom dedicated as a sewing room, however I have macular degeneration and found out that I can see much better if I sew near the big glass doors where I get so much more natural light. So I sew in the dining room. Yes I do quite a bit of running back and forth but you learn to "bunch" the things you need and get several each trip.

pasovasz 02-14-2014 06:31 AM

My "sewing room" is upstairs and 9x10 ft. I call it my warehouse. Everything is stored there except the machine and cutting mat/ruler/ rotary cutter. I sew on the dining room table to be in the middle of things. I bring down one project from the packed full room, to sew. Keeps me focused and hopefully, I finish one project before jumping into another.

mea12 02-14-2014 06:40 AM

you can keep a little caddy with the stuff you use most and take it down with you and all cutting, planning, etc can take place upstairs. the one thing you would prob wish you had down is an ironing board or surface. if you take only what you need to just sew your project, it shouldn't get too out of control esp if the sewing table you have has even one drawer.

Annaquilts 02-14-2014 07:11 AM

Set up your table where you want to sew. Running around is not necessarily bad. Thank exercise.

Another idea that might help in the claustrophobic room is to hang up a big mirror, especially if it can catch the reflection from the other window, and put some plants in the room.

jbj137 02-14-2014 08:06 AM

*** Yep, machines are in spare bedroom that also serves as computer room & vanity.
*** No, space for cutting, so go to kitchen counter,
*** sew in bedroom,
*** quilt frame (Hinterberg floor model for hand quilting) in living room, &
*** hand work in living room chair, to see TV.

*** So, I guess I sew/quilt all over the house.

Debbie C 02-14-2014 01:02 PM

Why not make the upstairs your living room and the downstairs your sewing room? It's your house, you can do with it as you please!!

AlvaStitcher 02-14-2014 01:51 PM

I have my sewing machines in the laundry room. I have a counter there opposite the washer/dryer left over from when I used the room as an office. My stash, cutting table, supplies, etc are in another room at the front of the house. This summer we will be moving into a new house and I will have a sewing ROOM! Yea! In the meantime though, I think os it as getting badly needed exercise.

mimiof4 02-14-2014 06:03 PM

Oh yes I have my stash in the basement, my cutting and piecing area is on the second floor and my LA is also in the basement. Yes it can be quite a work out sometimes, but it is good for us to get up and move. The steps will never hurt us. Actually when I am quilting on the long arm sometimes I do it too long and get really stiff. You can make it work. Go for it.