Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Does anyone not keep a big fabric stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/does-anyone-not-keep-big-fabric-stash-t242324.html)

hopetoquilt 03-03-2014 06:46 PM

I buy per project. I use up scraps when they fill a wastebasket sized container. I don't like excesses of anything. I am a minimalist...

I also narrowed down the types of techniques I am interested in doing so the number of tools, books and patterns is also limited. I make great quilts with my DH's old dress shirts. He is 6'5" so it's a lot of material.

judi43 03-04-2014 04:38 AM

Hi, I didn't realize how big my STASH was until my son made me a sewing room in our outback shop & now I know I don't need to buy any fabric for a LONG time. I have however put it all in color order so I know what I have, plus the many patterns I've saved from this site. I'm really enjoying my new work shop too.

Stitchnripper 03-04-2014 04:46 AM

I am not a stasher. I know lots of you love it. That's great. I do love fabric and go and look and fondle. But, don't have room or desire for more than I have, which isn't much. I do like the little remnants in the bins at the stores, and have a bunch of those. And I do use them. I have made several quilts without buying anything extra, but now I have a bag of scraps and seems like the more I use, the more there is. What's up with that?

2manyhobbies 03-04-2014 05:10 AM

Define 'big' :-)

LAHH 03-04-2014 05:34 AM

I have a stash (neatly organized). When I worked I didn't have time to make quilts, which I dearly loved, so I would shop for bargains with both fabrics and tools and collect them for my retirement. I retired in Jan. 2013 and have completed 4 quilts for gifts since that time and have not spent a penney. It was a good investment (and thank goodness it doesn't multiple).

My problem now that I will be moving from IN to WI in a couple months (due to DH job) and we are lookiing for a house that has a nice space for my quilting room.

Daisy Dew 03-04-2014 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ragquilter (Post 6604357)
I no longer have a stash. I just sold 3 boxes of fabric and donated 2 bags. I found myself overwhelmed and still didn't have what I needed. I had bought a lot of fabric from yard sales and thrift stores. I only kept fabric that I felt I would use. I agree with PatriceJ, control is the key. Don't be in a hurry to build a stash (my mistake).

Same here! I use to have a stash but then realized I had too much fun looking at the new lines. I only keep scraps that I can cut into 2.5" or 5" squares for scrappy projects.

Just traded some fabric, via mail, I was disappointed, fabric was cheap and old, old, old. I sent new Moda, Benartex, RJR - don't know if I will trade again. So NO stash for me.

neece 03-04-2014 10:05 AM

What can I say??? At one point my Mom said if I used what I had I could probably never buy any more fabric.I love fabric and am addicted. Some times I buy for a project but sometimes I just can't pass up a deal.My sister loves the electric acid green. I found some fabric and thought I would make her something. Months later I found a duvet cover on sale the same color. I made pillow shams and she has quite the bedroom. I haven't found a fabric I didn't except polyester so I am staying with my bad habit.:D

amcatanzaro 03-04-2014 10:57 AM

I have a medium sized stash. I was an avid buyer at first and then last year nothing appealed to me and I managed to control it and thin a bit. I have 7 shelves of fabric and a few bins of scraps. I would like to get it down to 6 shelves this year.
My neighbor only buys what she needs for a project at a time. She has one small shelf of leftover fabric.

sewbizgirl 03-04-2014 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6606955)
Do whatever works best for you... I do stash fabric, mainly because I buy when I find it on sale, clearance, and any other really good deals. I could not afford to just walk into a shop to buy for a project, paying full price-- so I stash it when it's cheap and then "shop my stash" to make my quilts. I also stash nice 100% cotton shirts for quilting.... lots of good fabric there for $.50 to $1.00 per shirt!

I must apologize for not answering your question. I misread it and didn't catch the word "NOT" in your question. I thought you were asking about our stashes, but you were asking if anyone DOESNT stash. Sorry!

charhend 03-04-2014 03:25 PM

Oh my, I have a huge stash. I have been quilting for 20 years and my fabric must have had the rabbit genes in it. It just kept multiplying! I could always let the squirrels in and share it with them for their nests!