Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Does anyone not keep a big fabric stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/does-anyone-not-keep-big-fabric-stash-t242324.html)

Ladibug 03-04-2014 04:05 PM

I would guess each way has it's own good points and not so good points. I suppose is I had the money I would be a "stasher" big time. Not having any LQS here except for one and then there is always Hobby Lobby and WalMart. Both HL's are a bit aways from here. My local wally world doesn't sell fabric any more except for those 2yds packs and I just don't like the quality of it. All this plus a limited income keeps my feet grounded. I have taken moths to get "sale" fabric to make something. Mostly do scrappy tho. I am just proud and happy to be able to do something that I love. :)

JuneBillie 03-04-2014 04:32 PM

I have a small stash to what most of you have for sure. I don't care so much for a big stash, but do buy a small piece when I get a chance to pick up a color that I don't have. I am seeing the need for organization. lol...

AnnEliz 03-04-2014 04:41 PM

I am only just starting to "like" scrappy quilts. I went through my scraps and sorted colors and none of them are enough of coordinating colors to make a quilt. Therefore, I cut 2 2/2 inch squares and just sewed anything together and made table toppers. I really enjoyed doing that and friends like them. I make them circular and scallop the edges. I do see these beautiful scrappy quilts all color coordinated, but I don't think I will ever have enough scraps to make one of those. I just wish------.

Purpleprint 03-04-2014 06:31 PM

I have been a stasher for years but am trying to downsize. It gets hard when you can't find a fabric and I have even at times, yes I do admit it, I have repurchased a fabric that I already had.
If you can keep it small and sane, it is wise to do so.

arline423 03-04-2014 07:00 PM

I have been sewing down my stash by making various sized small quilts and donating them to the local animal shelter. I get lots of practice with fmq, and the animals don't care about my imperfections. I've never had an animal turn down a cozy quilt.

Jingle 03-05-2014 01:18 PM

I have lots of fabrics and had some for years. I plan on making lots of different quilts and many, many quilts. I have used many large pieces up over the years. I will continue until I am called home to that big quilting room.

I bought it to use and this is what I intend to do.

peaceandjoy 03-05-2014 01:42 PM

I'm kind of in the same situation as Patrice, but thus far, am having no success controlling it! Fortunately, I like scrappy quilts best, so I lop off bits and pieces to use, as well as giving away to groups who make things for others. Once I get back down to a manageable amount, I'll be happier.

Beach Bum Quilter 03-05-2014 01:43 PM

I'm fairly new at quilting and at this time (since I work full time and don't have time to shop) don't have much of a stash. But I'm going to be retiring in a couple of years (I hope) and would like to have built up enough of a stash that I'm not having to buy all the time...I don't want overload, but would love to have enough to play with any time I want without having to constantly buy.

lots2do 03-05-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 6610833)
I have lots of fabrics and had some for years. I plan on making lots of different quilts and many, many quilts. I have used many large pieces up over the years. I will continue until I am called home to that big quilting room.

I bought it to use and this is what I intend to do.

Me too! I was introduced to quilting by a friend who stashed. A lot of my fabric cost half of what is does now at full price so I'm also saving money. I am cutting down on buying more until more gets used up.

loisf 03-06-2014 01:47 PM

Not a stasher here. I only buy for projects. Even at that, I'm ending up with tons of scraps. I just found a pattern that will use up a bunch of batik scraps that I have. I enjoy having scraps for lotto blocks too. I would go crazy if I had a big stash. To me, it would just be dozens, even hundreds, of UFOs. The pressure to use what I had bought would be overwhelming and take all the fun away. Each to his or her own.