Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Fabric Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/fabric-organization-t286465.html)

leaha 03-02-2017 10:00 AM

I use Polar notions boards, can put on 5 yards, and can put 3 fabrics and pattern for a project all on one board. they are great, got mine at Paducah quilt show

Snooze2978 03-03-2017 06:59 AM

I prefer the comic book boards or bolt boards for the larger quantities but after buying 1500 of them and still needing more I decided to use the ruler folding method for the rest of them. They don't stay up as nicely but works for the moment.

joysewer 03-03-2017 07:23 AM

Where does everyone get their comic book boards so I know to get the right ones?

Jingle 03-03-2017 10:35 AM

I mostly buy 4 - 6 yds, fold them with a ruler, stack them on the wire shelves. Small amounts (usually left from larger) are just folded and stack on top shelf. I have used up lots stil have lots.

lots2do 03-03-2017 01:55 PM

I've been ruler folding too and stacking. Actually, I started out being really neat and tidy but now I'm just trying to unpack it all and sort it by color and theme. I'm going for the done is better than perfect philosophy. I'm being reminded about so many planned projects and also that I really don't need any more turquoises any time soon. Feels good!

Murphy224 03-04-2017 01:00 AM

I got my comic boards at Amazon. Just do a search for "comic boards" with a lot of choices, I get the ones that are 8.5 X 11 without bags, they are the right size for my shelves and when the fabric is folded it fits perfectly. I am blessed with a large walk in closet and placed closetmaid shelving in it floor to ceiling. As it is currently pretty full, I am on a "fabric restriction" and only buy what I need to use that stash up.
My problem now is what to do with fat quarters. They are currently folded and in Artbin containers kinda sorted by color but not really and are a pain to access and use. How do you store and organize fat quarters?

knadwyer 03-07-2017 08:56 AM

Every once in a while, your call on distance, instead of inserting vertically, put a stack (fabric facing you) on its side and make it go to the top of the shelf so you use some of that vertical space. Then alternate back to stacking vertically. etc. etc. You can use some of those old metal book ends every once and a while if your shelves are long to hold vertical sections just so.

knadwyer 03-07-2017 08:58 AM

I put fat quarters in one of those shoe or sweater things that hang from a bar and have little caves.

ksdot417 03-08-2017 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts (Post 7775157)
Ksdot417 how tall are your bookshelves? I like how they sit straight up while being close together. I just helped my sister put some bookshelves together but when we put them side by side they lean, just makes it look awful.

My shelves are adjustable and I have them at 12 1/2" high. If I have a shelf that not's completely full I just put something next to the fabric to hold them upright.

gale 03-08-2017 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use the comic book boards and just limit myself to what fits in my space. I know that doesn't work for everyone. This cabinet holds all of my yardage and just a few of my fat quarters. I have a couple of drawers of fat quarters, plus a couple of unopened bundles, plus some precuts (with any matching yardage) stored in a covered box.