Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/grandmas-stash-needs-organized-help-t248397.html)

carolaug 07-12-2014 03:11 AM

This is a good idea...and if you had a person that could paint her room while you all worked in another one going through the fabric and folding them. Maybe get her a better system for storage.

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 6778927)
Maybe you could get your Mom and Aunt to help you and Granny redo her sewing room. You guys could have such a great time spending the day being together and just chit-chatting about old times and everything as you do this project. Your Mom and Aunt could fold the fabric and sort it by colors while you and Granny organized the room. If the room is to small for everyone to be in it at once, you could always fold and sort the fabric in another room. Good luck and I know Granny will think this is one of the greatest gifts ever.

AnnEliz 07-16-2014 09:58 AM

At one time I subscribed for most of the quilting magazines. I hate to dispose of them because occasionally I use one or need to find one. They are arranged nicely in magazine boxes, however, I decided to look at some and got the box down from the shelf. Needless to say, the dust flew--it had been so long since I used that box. Then as I looked through the issues (1999) I found the patterns to be "out of style." There was a few that I might want to make, but most were nothing I am interested in. It was several years' collection and as I said, I hate to get rid of them. I really could use the storage space for other things. What do you do with your magazine stash?

twinkie 07-22-2014 02:31 AM

That looks like work to me. Lots of material.

gibbette 07-22-2014 02:31 AM

work, work , work,. but what an adventure.

Honeygram2 07-24-2014 09:35 AM

I'm coming in late on this, but ... I fold my fabric by the amount of yardage. Fat quarters and 1/2 yard pieces are stored on a wooden cd case. One yard and larger are stored in a cabinet or plastic storage container. I use the 15 x 22 x 5" or a smaller 10 x 15 x 5". Anything bigger is too heavy to wrestle with. These fit well under the bed, or in a closet. Fabrics that are designated for a particular quilt (or project) are put in project boxes with the pattern or book. They are acid free, 14 x 14 x 3" made by Iris, for scrap booking, available at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or any craft store.

Honeygram2 07-24-2014 09:41 AM

I'm coming in late on this, but ... I fold my fabric by the amount of yardage. Fat quarters and 1/2 yard pieces are stored on a wooden cd case. One yard and larger are stored in a cabinet or plastic storage container. I use the 15 x 22 x 5" or a smaller 10 x 15 x 5". Anything bigger is too heavy to wrestle with. These fit well under the bed, or in a closet. Fabrics that are designated for a particular quilt (or project) are put in project boxes with the pattern or book. They are acid free, 14 x 14 x 3" made by Iris, for scrap booking, available at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or any craft store.

Sewnoma 07-25-2014 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz (Post 6803962)
What do you do with your magazine stash?

Swap or give them away to other quilters? Donate them to a thrift shop? I occasionally will buy older quilting 'zines at thrift shops, usually for about a dime.

People in my guild donate their magazines to the guild library. They track which ones get checked out, and whatever doesn't get checked out for a year or two (not sure what the threshold is) gets sold off in the guild's annual book/magazine sale.

amcatanzaro 08-02-2014 04:10 PM

I started my shelves with comic book board folding. After a while I stopped using the board and flat folded them that size.

PamS 08-02-2014 06:22 PM

GREAT advice from everyone. And, YES, definitely take a break every couple hours, not only to take a deep breath and have a cup of coffee but to step back and take a look at your accomplishments. And be sure to give yourself a pat on the back every once in a while! Happy folding and please keep us posted on the progress.

tuckyquilter 08-03-2014 01:39 PM

Are you making headway here? Love to see how you do this as you go along.