Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help! >

Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help!

Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Default Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help!

My grandma has an immense fabric stash and it needs organizing, BIG TIME. I want to get it done before I move to Michigan in August, or at least halfway done, but I think Grandma is overwhelmed by the prospect and is kind of resistant to getting started. I'm going to inherit all this someday (hopefully a long time from now) as neither my mom nor my aunt are quilters. I'd prefer to have some semblance of organization now rather than later. There are bins, and cubbies, and tables...I bought some comic book boards for folding, but I think I'm going to need a few more packages. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated - I'm at a loss except to pull everything out and start over!
Attached Thumbnails basement1.jpg   basement2.jpg   basement3.jpg   basement5.jpg   basement6.jpg  

Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Oh my, you do have your work cut out for you! First of all I would separate the fabric as to what it is.....cotton/ home dec/ polyester/ dress making etc.... Then just start in folding. You may want to ruler fold for now. I have no idea how many of the comic board thingys you would need. I personally ruler fold mine. It would be better than what you are currently dealing with AND you don't have to wait for more boards. Also, so you have anyone you can enlist for help. I looked to see where you live to see if you were close to me, but no such luck. You definitely could use some help, plus it would make time go quicker. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM

Just grab everything out of one bin and start sorting...looks like she has a lot of white. That is where I would start. Just keep adding to the white as you find it. Separate dressmaking and home dec into separate piles as you find it. (laundry baskets work great)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:42 PM

All you can do is start and do one little place first. I sort by colors. If you just used the primary colors and sort it would get you started.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 PM

I would start with one of the tables first, you will need some place to put folded fabric before you have space on the shelves. As you fold stack by color. This will make it easier to organize later. Don't worry about ironing anything now, you can iron and refold as you need it. After table is folded, empty cubby onto table, place a stacks of folded, color sorted fabric in cubby, fold fabric on table and repeat. You may need to move some of your color stacks around a you go. Keep a trash can and a box for non fabric things that need to be put away close. At this point you are only concerned with fabric but when that is all done you will be surprised at what you have found hiding in the fabric. LOL By the looks of this you should be able to fold it in a weekend. If you stop to put away other things, or clean as you go it will take longer. I would set a timer for 1-2 hours take a break, have a cup of tea. Good luck, getting started is the hard part.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 PM

I hate to say it, but her stash is worse than mine and mine's pretty darn bad. I know how she feels. It is just overwhelming and she'd probably rather piece her way out than fold her way out.

I agree with the others. Take one bin at a time and start ruler folding and sorting by color. I'd try to make the folds so that they either double stack in the cubby's or a single fold from one side to the other. A lot of hers looks like yardage. For me, I'd love to know how much is in each piece. If she does a lot of scrappies, she won't care. I like organized quilts, so I need to know the yardage.

Bottom line...anything you do will only be a help. She may not be able to help you, but will love you all the more for anything you do for her.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM

It's very doable. As others have said, clear off the table, and start folding, and put into colored piles. Once you have the table in piles, start taking from the bins, and then start loading the bins from the piles on the table. It will go faster than you think. When you think you are making headway, you will find more, and want to cry, but it will go really fast. I went to an estate sale, and the whole house was filled with fabric all over.. Of course I took a chunk of what she had, and ended up reorganizing my stuff. I am glad I did.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Did you sneak into my house and take picture? LOL. Seriously, mine is almost that bad so I understand feeling overwhelmed. After you get so much experience straightening out hers, just come on by and show me how it is done.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Oh, my. You have a job before you, but a fun one. I agree with the others; clear a spot and begin sorting by color and/or theme like Christmas or fall. Wish I could be there; I love doing stuff like this! My friends think I'm weird, but I can't help it.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:19 PM

I agree with the other posts, if you pull everything out you are going to drive yourself crazy.

I would start with one cube Take that out and put it in laundry basket, they start to put it back like colors and types together.