Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How do you store "other" fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-other-fabrics-t243141.html)

Snooze2978 03-14-2014 08:31 AM

I have my "other" fabrics in the other room to keep them separate. As I usually buy 5-10 yds of that sort of fabric I put them onto the empty bolt boards I get from the fabric stores. They usually just toss them so you can ask for them. Fabrics not large enough for the bolt is either folded onto the comic book boards or such as fleece I keep in totes.

quiltmom04 03-14-2014 10:02 AM

I have one plastic container of " other " fabric. If I get more than that, I make myself get rid of some so it always stays in one box.

Lizard 03-14-2014 10:03 AM

Wish I'd have known about the election signs a week or so ago, we just had local ones and there were plenty to chose from. I don't have room for any large totes, I'll look into some smaller ones. Luckily there isn't a ton of other fabrics, I just have several knits that would "slouch" right off anything I tried to do vertically. Thanks everyone.

ArchaicArcane 03-14-2014 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use the coroplast as well. I put painters tape on the edges so it doesn't snag the delicate fabrics, then I store it all with the rest of the quilting fabrics. My hope with that is that I will want the space back for the quilting cotton and use up or get rid of the "other" and not just hang onto it because it's not in the way. So far it's working. I cut out a skirt and 3 tops to take with me to our sewing circle on Monday to serge up and assemble.

This is currently what it all looks like:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467223[/ATTACH]

The first 2 shelves are quilting cotton, and the next 2 are other, then the last is batting and such. You just know I'm going to want to reclaim that space before long...

dinlauren 03-15-2014 05:24 AM

I too use the clear plastic totes and sort by color or fabric, such as how i'm going to use it....all the kids' fabrics for their clothes are together so I can find it easily and make their clothes before I run out of steam searching for it. LOL It works well for me.

tessagin 03-15-2014 05:40 AM

I just use totes and mark what the fabric contained. I use those little silicone packs and put a couple in each tote so to keep dry. Been collecting the silicone packs for years.

Lizard 03-15-2014 11:27 AM

I have tons of those silicone packets, they seem to be showing up in everything lately and my husband keeps asking what I do with them all. I found a couple totes I can try out, smaller ones, but they should fit in the few cubbies I have to put them in. My problem is my room doesn't have a ton of space, it's a bedroom, but it's closer to small nursery size, so things can get awkward in there if I don't keep up with my mess. Thanks everyone.

mjhaess 03-16-2014 09:38 AM

I use clear totes....

deedum 03-18-2014 03:59 AM

I too, keep mine in the large totes. I have double knits to make some quilts. They are so warm and I hope to make some lap quilts for the nursing home when I get time. Might be when I retire. Anyhow, all my non-cotton material is in totes.