Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you store "other" fabrics?

How do you store "other" fabrics?

You know, things like knits, tulle, and all those not really for quilting fabrics? I have all my cottons and such on the comic book boards, but some of my fabric is too slinky (?) or fragile for that. It's taking up a lot of space just folded and stacked, so I figured I'd ask and see what everyone else does.

I use a large tote for each kind that really isn't quilting. Like knits, t-shirting, etc. That way it's separate from the fabric I use for quilting/sewing.
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Me too .. I use see thru 30 gal totes stacked in the walkin closet for stuff like that ...

All my "other" fabrics are in the large plastic totes(65 qt. or larger) and stored in a retired 18 wheeler trailer, sorted by the type of fabric. I do realize that most people don't have that luxury or space to do so, but since we have 80 acres, I do. I have mentioned to a few people that I know in town, that I do have that fabric and that a good deal of it, is for sale, at a very reasonable price.

I don't have much non-cotton fabric,but what I do have is kept in a dresser in my sewing room/guest room.

I don't have much "other" fabric. What I do have is ruler folded and in it's own cabinet.

You know when people running for office put signs up on those wire frames they stick in the ground? Those signs are made of corrugated plastic. After elections are over, I stop and collect those signs, wash them in my bathtub then cut them to 7" by 10" rectangles. They are my 'comic boards' - I have made hundreds of them over the years to wrap all my fabrics....cottons, silks, wools, etc. I feel everything looks its neatest when wrapped and stored vertically on my shelving systems. Everything is sorted by color from lightest to darkest. It makes me happy when friends come by and say they want to 'go shopping' in my quilting store~

Besides my cotton fabrics, I have lots of silk, satin, brocades etc. I use in my crazy quilting. I keep it all in an old armoire, along with everything else to do with CQ. (sorry about the spelling)

Blog Entries
    My quilting fabric is stored in 4 floor to ceiling Ikea cabinets with doors to keep out the light and dust. All of the 'other' fabric is in 2 storage bins in the closet in my sewing studio. I have pared this stuff down to 2 bins of knits, tulle, heavier canvas stuff and my lace wedding dress (I always planned to cut the beautiful lace and make something with it- 32 years and counting so far it is still a dress).
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
    I use a large tote for each kind that really isn't quilting. Like knits, t-shirting, etc. That way it's separate from the fabric I use for quilting/sewing.
    I use large clear plastic totes as well for all that isn't on comic boards. I love that it's already sectioned off by seasons or project-types before I start looking. I have one large tote that is just Christmas. Sure makes it easy when I start a Christmas project to know what I have because it's already sorted together. Took a little time initially but it was worth it.

I have my "other" fabrics in the other room to keep them separate. As I usually buy 5-10 yds of that sort of fabric I put them onto the empty bolt boards I get from the fabric stores. They usually just toss them so you can ask for them. Fabrics not large enough for the bolt is either folded onto the comic book boards or such as fleece I keep in totes.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have one plastic container of " other " fabric. If I get more than that, I make myself get rid of some so it always stays in one box.

Wish I'd have known about the election signs a week or so ago, we just had local ones and there were plenty to chose from. I don't have room for any large totes, I'll look into some smaller ones. Luckily there isn't a ton of other fabrics, I just have several knits that would "slouch" right off anything I tried to do vertically. Thanks everyone.

I use the coroplast as well. I put painters tape on the edges so it doesn't snag the delicate fabrics, then I store it all with the rest of the quilting fabrics. My hope with that is that I will want the space back for the quilting cotton and use up or get rid of the "other" and not just hang onto it because it's not in the way. So far it's working. I cut out a skirt and 3 tops to take with me to our sewing circle on Monday to serge up and assemble.

This is currently what it all looks like:
    Name:  IMG_1517.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  719.5 KB

The first 2 shelves are quilting cotton, and the next 2 are other, then the last is batting and such. You just know I'm going to want to reclaim that space before long...

I too use the clear plastic totes and sort by color or fabric, such as how i'm going to use it....all the kids' fabrics for their clothes are together so I can find it easily and make their clothes before I run out of steam searching for it. LOL It works well for me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just use totes and mark what the fabric contained. I use those little silicone packs and put a couple in each tote so to keep dry. Been collecting the silicone packs for years.

I have tons of those silicone packets, they seem to be showing up in everything lately and my husband keeps asking what I do with them all. I found a couple totes I can try out, smaller ones, but they should fit in the few cubbies I have to put them in. My problem is my room doesn't have a ton of space, it's a bedroom, but it's closer to small nursery size, so things can get awkward in there if I don't keep up with my mess. Thanks everyone.

Power Poster
    I use clear totes....

I too, keep mine in the large totes. I have double knits to make some quilts. They are so warm and I hope to make some lap quilts for the nursing home when I get time. Might be when I retire. Anyhow, all my non-cotton material is in totes.