Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics >

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

So, what's your opinion about the huge retailer's "Quilt Fabrics" offerings? One just announced 6 new lines of quilting fabrics. While I haven't seen them, I'm sure they are as colorful and pretty as the brands found in many quilt stores. But still...quality speaking, what's your opinion of them? Price doesn't always determine quality one way or the other.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Administrator

you will need to look at them in person to determine whether or not you are pleased with the quality in relation to price.
sometimes big box fabrics are a good value.
other times not.

just as in a fancy LQS.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
So, what's your opinion about the huge retailer's "Quilt Fabrics" offerings? quality speaking, what's your opinion of them?
Would be easier to answer your question if I knew who you were talking about....
Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I buy name brand name fabrics I trust for online because I know the quality. At Walmart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, etc. I have to feel it. I don't care what store fabric comes from as long as I'm pleased with it.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 AM

In the 90s when I worked at JoAnn's (back in the days when they had decent quilting cottons), WalMart had the exact print in several fabrics as JoAnn's. On closer inspection, they were off color and flimsier fabric. Misprints?? Samples that weren't accepted?? Who knows, but they weren't the same. We will have to touch the fabrics to know. If in doubt, buy a small amount and launder it.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 AM

I agree with Onebyone. I found a batik at Walmart that I really liked. But hate most of their other fabric. It's scratchy to me.

I have found similar fabrics at Joann's that I like....but some I hate.

So....I know it isn't answering your question, really, but I think you need to feel it. If you find something you like at a good price, I wouldn't care that it came from a big-box store. Although many LQS's will give you a punch card for frequent buyers, which adds up to free items. So...that's something to consider, too
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM

I agree that you do need to feel them. I've bought fabrics at Joann's that were very nice, but I've seen some pretty ones that when I felt them I passed. They just didn't have a nice hand.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM

I used to buy all my fabric at JoAnn's (off the cheap wall), but have started buying name brand. The cheap fabric acts and feels different than the good stuff. JoAnn's premium fabric is okay, but just as expensive as LQS. Hobby Lobby's is the worst IMO. But, I only buy the "good stuff" on sale. Can't afford $10+/yard, so I shop at a discount warehouse locally that
I can get quality fabric @ $4-6/yard or online sales.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I buy name brand name fabrics I trust for online because I know the quality. At Walmart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, etc. I have to feel it. I don't care what store fabric comes from as long as I'm pleased with it.
i agree also
Old 08-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Well, strictly speaking, I think you get what you pay for. Having said this everyone has a different budget and makes quilts for different reasons. Also there can be exceptions to that rule.
I buy most of my fabric online. The prices are good and the brands are what I like- Moda, Kaufmann etc. Once in awhile I buy in quilt shops but rarely. I used to a lot more. I think they are out-pricing themselves these days.
I personally have never been disappointed in my online purchases.
My philosophy is for all the work that goes into quilt making I want the best fabric possible.
I realize this doesn't work for everyone. For me it does.