Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How Do You Store Your Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-your-fabric-t118252.html)

kriscraft99 11-05-2011 04:45 PM

Oh my goodness Judy - what a difference after folding! wow :)
did it seem to give her more room afterwards?

Originally Posted by grandmajuki (Post 4633657)
These are pics of two of our group after refolding using a 6x24 ruler to fold the
fabric... Amazing isn't it.. The one was actually going to take down the shelves on her wall for a design wall instead several of us went over and helped her fold and now she has a roller up that she can lower for her design wall.
judy

jcrow 11-06-2011 10:15 AM

Mine are also in stacks all over the place. I ran out of room in my drawers and bookcases and storage unit and rubbermaid tubs that I have lots of fabric folded up on top of these items. I also have fabric on my second chair in my sewing room. And on my cutting tables (I have two long tables put together with one long, long cutting board). I have old wooden bread boxes on my bookcases and tables because I can store things in there and then again on top of the boxes. I also have shelves I've put up on the walls to put fabric on. I use to be embarrassed by how much fabric I had. I thought I had OCD or something because I keep buying fabric and then I found this place and realized that I am a normal quilter. That all of you have more fabric than you actually need. I love this site!

butterjoy 11-06-2011 11:30 AM

Pictures helps me a lot. I would love to see photos of others ideas of storage :)

mcdaniel023 11-06-2011 11:41 AM

Love my storage.

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have it in totes. Then when I moved I had it in those plastic drawers. Then I found this cabinet at Goodwill. I did the ruler fold method. I totally enjoy looking at it and can find anything I want. I do have larger pieces on boards in my closet. Fat quarters are still in drawers, by types.

butterjoy 11-06-2011 11:52 AM

Using the ruler method? I am not sure what you mean. Was it hard and time consuming? I am still learning :)

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 (Post 4641841)
I used to have it in totes. Then when I moved I had it in those plastic drawers. Then I found this cabinet at Goodwill. I did the ruler fold method. I totally enjoy looking at it and can find anything I want. I do have larger pieces on boards in my closet. Fat quarters are still in drawers, by types.

bearisgray 11-07-2011 04:44 AM

Once upon a time, I very carefully folded most of my fabrics "just so" - and packed them on the shelves to the maximum.

My folded fabrics looked very lovely - until I wanted/needed something that was stacked there.

I have learned that it is helpful to me to have a bare/empty spot to pile things on while I'm looking through the stacks. (Other than the floor!)

When I had everything packed like an overstuffed suitcase, the crowdedness made looking for and extracting pieces of fabric to be hazardous.

I don't have a perfect solution. I know - usually - what neighborhood to look in for items - but sometimes the looked for item just does not want to be found when I'm searching for it.

The main idea of this post - leave a little wiggle room - if possible. It is then easier to find things again later.

The up side of having to excavate to find something - it's exercise!

Spuddy 11-07-2011 05:01 AM

This is fabulous storage and organization.

Just Fabric 11-07-2011 05:03 AM

Mine are on plastic and metal shelving, I can't imagine having so little amount, what do you make with so small amount of fabric? Most of my pieces are one or more yards, plus I have the usual landscape fabric for wallhangings etc. and smaller pieces for coin purses/purses.

Dodee 11-07-2011 05:50 AM

You mean we are supposed to have our fabrics organized. But, but, but - isn't it fun to look for "stuff"

AshleyR 11-07-2011 05:39 PM

My stash is still small enough to hang on coat hangers in the closet!!