Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How Do You Store Your Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-your-fabric-t118252.html)

par4theday 11-07-2011 05:56 PM

I use 12 X 12 card stock from the scrapbook store. I buy it on sale usually about 10 cents a sheet. I fold it in half and wrap everything around it that fits. I use pins, hair clips, and bobby pins to hold it on. I put mine together the way I will be using it. Anything for a project I keep together. Batiks together, civil war together, lights all together, reds, blues, yellows, greens, Christmas together. When I start a quilt, I assign the pattern and fabric to a 12 X 12 plastic Art tote with a handle. I cut out all the pieces, and organize them in sandwich bags. This I take with me when I go on retreats so everything for each project is in its own carrying case.

roxie623 11-08-2011 12:35 PM

I have mine folded by color, theme, & size on bookcases. My problem is that there is no cover on them I thought of using clear shower curtains hung to cover but dont know how it will look.

Mariposa 11-08-2011 02:58 PM

Your stash organization is terrific! :)

KerryK 11-08-2011 05:10 PM

Fabric storage - aarrrrgggggHHHHHHH! I am just enough OCD that it drives me crazy! Should I put it in the blue bin, but oh wait, it has flowers, so should I put it in the floral bin, but oh wait, there's a good bit of yellow in there too, so should I put it in with the yellows? This is always a problem for me, so I love seeing your replies and hoping one will pop out at me saying "This is the way to do it!"

butterjoy 11-08-2011 05:27 PM

That is one of the problems I have. I look for others answers...

Originally Posted by KerryK (Post 4654330)
Fabric storage - aarrrrgggggHHHHHHH! I am just enough OCD that it drives me crazy! Should I put it in the blue bin, but oh wait, it has flowers, so should I put it in the floral bin, but oh wait, there's a good bit of yellow in there too, so should I put it in with the yellows? This is always a problem for me, so I love seeing your replies and hoping one will pop out at me saying "This is the way to do it!"

tropit 11-09-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Margo in Maine (Post 4620951)
1.Just finished sorting etc...pulled out everything that I could use for charity and put in bin outside of my quilt room..Only have what I use...I am blessed with an old bedroom that works for me.
2. All fat quarters are in plastic bins and marked by colors in a closed closet.
3. Everything about a yard are in small plastic bin with covers and filed by color.(they are cheap to purchase)
4. Anything 2 yds or more are measured and marked and piled by color in closet
5. All my battings plus small pieces marked by size....are in open wire shelves in a closet by size.
6. Special projects...christmas....etc. are in small covered containers and put in a bookcase. With my books and magazines. I keep all projects I have done...in notebooks on these shelves.
7. Pulled odd shaped material and am cutting in 2 2 1/2" 3 3 1/3" up to 6"
8. have a bin of WOF ...marked.
9. I keep everything that pertains to each machine in a desk..

I enjoy my quilt room because I can exactly what I need and when I am done a project. I immediately take care of left overs.
FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...make it uniquely YOURS!!! I decided what I wanted for furniture...open bookcase. 3-4 plastic 3-draw ....couple of wood cabinets under my short arm table...a closed closed portable ..plus a regular closet...and thread and rulers all in one place...this is long and I hop given some semblance of what i did..JUST BEGIN..

I like your ideas, very organized.

~ Cindy

Kathy Osterby 11-09-2011 07:47 AM

curtain

I have my stash in the cube storage boxes and decided I wanted to cover it so I used the shower rod holdercups and rod to hang a clothe curtain. I'm a Sunbonnet Sue nut so I appliqued them on a plain white shower curtain to "beautify the plain curtain. Already had cafe curtains with Sue on windows so they all went together. The cubes fit in a space that is the size of the closet so the rod was hung across it .

Kath12 11-12-2011 04:56 AM

I love the way you sorted your fabrics by color. I try but I think I have too much fabric and can't part with any of it LOL

butterjoy 11-12-2011 03:08 PM

Has anyone figured this one out??

Originally Posted by KerryK (Post 4654330)

4dogs 11-14-2011 01:48 PM

I have mine stacked by color too.........the problem I see is, when I want a piece and its ALWAYS on the bottom, and it messes the others up, when I go to pull it out..........so how do you figure out some other way? I like the idea about using the boards and stacking sideways like the quilt shop.....but my shelves are deep, so that would be a lot of wasted space........guess I need more shelves, inside each cabinet. Thanks for all your suggestions, makes me want to fix mine better.