Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   I've "outgrown" some books, patterns, notes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/ive-outgrown-some-books-patterns-notes-t283608.html)

kay carlson 11-07-2016 05:49 AM

I've "outgrown" some books, patterns, notes

Back in the dark ages, before internet, I had to gather and file articles to both keep up to date and have resources for teaching. I continued to do that beginning in 1998 when I really took off on my quilting passion.

Now, I am sorting my books and emptying large 3-ring binders. I guess I could look on the bright side and tell myself that I am repurposing the plastic sleeves! :-) The major push is that I feel trapped by things! My shelves were full of books, magazines, and patterns.

This purging won't be accomplished overnight. Someone posted on another thread the thought: WILL I USE IT?
Getting rid the overload should free up time to actually sew. Getting to the sewing part is the carrot before this ole horse...

tucsonquilter 11-07-2016 05:57 AM

Sounds like something I need to do.

laughingquilter 11-07-2016 12:29 PM

I need to do that too but I'm afraid I'll find even more projects that I'll be reminded that I want to work on than ones that I want to get rid of.

quiltsRfun 11-07-2016 12:41 PM

Anyone who's been quilting for a while will likely have the same problem. I've recently started to purge some of my old stuff. Looking forward to the feeling of freedom and relief, not to mention shelf space.

sewbizgirl 11-07-2016 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter (Post 7694808)
I need to do that too but I'm afraid I'll find even more projects that I'll be reminded that I want to work on than ones that I want to get rid of.

Yup, it could definitely be a rabbit trail... :D

Battle Axe 11-08-2016 05:06 AM

I made myself promise to finish a few things before I bought any more FABRIC or BOOKS. Yesterday at Lolly's.....yes, I live 11 miles from there.... I bought another book that I had heard about on this board. I'm hopeless.

mrodarme 11-08-2016 05:18 AM

i just did this...downsizing my house - going thru so many books, magazines, articles...i figured my tastes have changed...anything i want to make i can find the directions...what was sad, when i took them to the second hand book store, i got a whopping 11.00 for 20+ years of nice books...cant look at that tho...i got to use them & enjoy them...decluttering is great...now i look forward to a new area to set up...& new quilts to conquer

tessagin 11-08-2016 05:22 AM

As I try to arrange my room, I have been going through some of the patterns and have found I have multiples. So the extras are being shredded. We have a cross-cut shredder. Giving it a work-out. Have been recycling the older sleeves. That has freed up more space than I thought would. Yesterday put some of my patterns on flash drive.

coopah 11-08-2016 05:59 AM

I'm purging, too. Luckily, I have friends who are thankful for my unused things...and what they don't want, I take to my guild and put on the free table. So far, most of the things have gone to other homes. It helps. THen I went to find some Christmas fabric among my stash...oh the choices! So why do I think I need to buy more? I'm downsizing on emails from companies that sell quilting things, too, because the temptation will be removed. I need to finish or even start what I have already.

Wanabee Quiltin 11-08-2016 07:47 AM

I have just moved and I have found just tons of things I no longer use. I was looking at a quilt magazine yesterday and wanted to rip out a quilt pattern and picture I really liked. I would feel guilty giving that to a thrift store to sell. I do feel freer now after giving tons of stuff away.