Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Machine needle organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/machine-needle-organization-t305511.html)

Claire123 12-02-2019 08:07 PM

I keep my needles in the original package 99% of the time. Some are in the detachable case on the arm of my machine and the rest are in the case with my extra feet. I hadn't thought too much about it other that I'd like to get some more needles in sized and types I don't have - 100 topstitch, 60 microtex - or some I run low on. Your ideas are really inspiring me to come up with something fun and creative.

Sandygirl 12-03-2019 02:56 AM

R

Originally Posted by MariaM (Post 8272007)
I store them in the original containers. Any used (but still usable) needles go into the little holes in storage container of the sewing machine. Once they are no longer usable, I have a pill bottle with a small hole I made on top and put them in there along with any dull or bent pins. Once it's full, the pharmacy will take them and dispose of them with their sharps.

Ii. Do. This. Too. Thanks for The great tip for disposal!

Sandygirl 12-03-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Blondie~ (Post 8283406)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615474[/ATTACH] (This is my first photo upload here. I hope I did it correctly, not too big.). This is what I use. I get them from Michaels. They are supposed to hold the DMC embroidery floss cards. The sections fit my needles perfectly.

Perfect!!!

juliasb 12-03-2019 06:29 AM

The picture above this post shows exactly what I have been doing for years. This makes life so much easier. Having the same size in the individual sleeves make getting the right needle, the one you need, easy every time.

Onebyone 12-03-2019 06:41 AM

To me needles are one of the cheapest things I buy for quilting. I stopped spending time trying to get them organized and put back in the right package. I use the needle size I need at the time and when I change needles to another size or type I toss the one I took out. So much simpler. No needle laying around for me to wonder which one is it. And every needle used is a new needle. I use one brand of needles, Organ, and buy them in bulk.

Quilty-Louise 03-01-2020 12:11 PM

My needle storage

3 Attachment(s)
This is the way I store my machine needles.
I reused the Crisco Shortening sticks containers with the lids. I put a quick reference
I label on each needle case with the size, then put them in the crisco box with labels
on the top side.

This has always worked well for me.

Still Sew N 03-05-2020 12:38 PM

I purchased a magnetic board with magnetic containers. I've seen the same thing used for spices. Anyway, it is hanging on a wall close to my machines and I keep them in their original packaging inside the containers. They can easily hold several needle packages. Then I used a label maker and marked each container with the size of needle. Since the lids are see thru - I can see how my stash of needles are holding up.