Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Moving my fabric & sewing rooms (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/moving-my-fabric-sewing-rooms-t263613.html)

Sandygirl 04-06-2015 04:04 AM

Purge.you will feel better. I do. I never aspire to have a stash as large as yours. Too overwhelming. I donate a large tradh bag or two every year. 4H learners. Mlocal senior group, etc. Always nice to get rid of pieces that I will never use in my lifetime.

sandy

Quilty-Louise 04-06-2015 04:12 AM

Material Witness - Come on out, the weather is starting to improve.
At least it will by this summer LOL.

NJ Quilter - No I don't make scrappy quilts, so giving them to
someone who will use them.

Sandygirl - I tried to donate to the senior center (3 different places even)
and they didn't want ANY of the fabric. Haven't received a call back yet
from the 4-H here locally, the one place that seems to want fabric only
wants LQS, which I have little of.

Still looking for other places willing to accept fabric.

rjwilder 04-06-2015 06:57 AM

I'm in the spring cleaning purge mode also. I purchased space bags and put all my fleece in it, amazing how small that pile got. I'll bring it out again next fall. I'm also contacting my local American Sewing Guild to see if any of their groups do charity sewing and see if I can donate my fabric to them. Otherwise I might just end up buying more space bags and store it until I can find a home for it.

tron80 04-06-2015 07:02 AM

Oh my!!! I envy your stash! it is heaven...

Mariposa 04-06-2015 07:09 AM

Oh my! Quite the stash!! Perhaps pace yourself: clean out/sort a bin, then sew some, repeat. :)

dfelker 04-06-2015 12:04 PM

Louise~I am sitting here drooling over your STASH!! I even showed it to my hubby and said ONE DAY I will be so blessed with fabric!!
You have my address in case you need it... just saying! :)

TinkerQuilts 04-06-2015 12:59 PM

O M Gosh Louise. That's a very impressive amount of fabric, and it looks like your bins are very labeled and organized.
I'm in Colorado too, just in case you need some help with it. :0) I'll be retiring in November, and plan to spend most of my waking hours making charity quilts and quilts of valor.

sewbizgirl 04-06-2015 01:53 PM

Personally I'd tell the hubster to go jump in the lake if he dared to take my sewing room... But you seem to want to destash anyway. I have an idea. With the popularity of scrap quilting these days (thank you Bonnie Hunter!) you could easily SELL your fabric scraps. Sort by color and stuff some gallon ziplocks and sell it by weight or by the bag. If you put them on Ebay they should FLY out of your house and give you some money to buy new things... or maybe batting or whatever you need. If you aren't going to use the scraps, that is.

ManiacQuilter2 04-06-2015 02:44 PM

At least your organized with labels on the plastic totes.

ctrysass2012 04-06-2015 07:52 PM

Is there a Linus chapter near by? I'm also trying to purge fabric this year. Got a Horn cabinet & had to move at least 1/2 of my bins & boxes out of the room in order to remove a large dining room table & put the Horn in. So I'm reorganizing & removing many things. It's a slow process & I'm itching to sew.