Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Not Again !! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/not-again-t268873.html)

tjk829 08-17-2015 03:14 PM

Not Again !!

4 Attachment(s)
Just getting back into the swing of quilting and starting to keep up with the board after real life got in the way for a while. I had a beautiful quilting area in the lower level and had it just like I wanted... and then... a slow leak in a water supply line that went undiscovered for quite some time has put me back to square one and I do mean square one! I have attached pics of what it looked like although I had repainted.The green was hard to live with over time but I liked it. And the after pictures are breaking my heart. Now I have to start all over and I feel overwhelmed with the amount of choices I have! Pinterest is the devil! The only thing decided on is the floor....the last thing to be installed! Color scheme ? Nope. Floor Layout? Nope. Finishes? Nope. Lighting? Nope. I have all my machines, fabric, batting, etc crammed into a small room and just feel like its too much even think about....sigh. I have the books Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space and Dream Sewing Spaces but right now that is just providing me with more options that I can't seem to narrow down! The space is very large about 32 x 32 plus some odd nooks and crannies that i can have if I want. Anyone know a good space planner cause I am floundering!

Onetomatoplant 08-17-2015 03:27 PM

Fabulous space! Just take it one step at a time. First, step away from Pinterest. Haha! What colors make you happy? What did you like about your old room? What would you have changed? Think of it as a do-over. C'mon, you can do this!

Judith1005 08-17-2015 03:45 PM

Sometimes, too many choices is a curse. Why don't you concentrate on the big choices first. Lighting, color and flooring. Then maybe your organization. On your color, think about what would really make you happy everyday to go into your quilting room. Or, do you want it to set off your finished pieces that will decorate your room. If you liked the green, why did you eventually not like it. Is it the wrong shade, too dark....

Lighting, now that you've used the room already, you know where the lighting is lacking. Go with your gut on what you'd like.

You have the flooring picked out. One problem solved.

Organization, again, you've already used the room. Think about what it was missing.

Did you not like anything about the room before the disaster? It really was a pretty room. I hope you have fun decorating and that you end up with the room of your dreams.

NJ Quilter 08-17-2015 06:15 PM

If the area was set up just the way you liked it before, is there some reason you can't just put it back that way? Maybe a different color if the green wasn't exactly to your liking? But if you liked it the way it was before, why change it once you get the repairs done?

tjk829 08-17-2015 06:21 PM

Thanks for the pep talk. That room was the sixth sewing room I set up in the last few years and I finally had it almost right. The green while bright and fresh was jarring after a while and so I went more neutral and that worked with all the fabric adding color. A step at a time... I know the ceiling will be white, so that's two decisions down... a few more to go. Thanks again for the encouragement it is much needed!

tjk829 08-17-2015 06:27 PM

The room will actually be quite a bit larger since there were walls removed and added another 300 square feet so now it is about 700 square feet in size which is about double what is was. It just seems daunting to figure out how is should be... on the other hand I probably need more fabric....hmmmm lol

Judith1005 08-17-2015 06:30 PM

oo, don't forget a nice big design wall also. They are fairly easy to make on your own.

NikkiLu 08-17-2015 06:30 PM

Was it a water line leak or a foundation leak???

tjk829 08-17-2015 07:20 PM

As we have discovered after gutting it, it was both. In a way the pipe leak was a blessing because we were able to see the problems with the foundation. The foundation repairs will begin tomorrow and then we can start rebuilding from the cement in. We have already installed new gutters and rainspouts, changed the landscaping and will be sealing and waterproofing the foundation after the mason has finished his repairs. I'm really thankful that none of my sewing machines were damaged.

greaterexp 08-17-2015 07:35 PM

I have no advice, but I'm sorry about the difficulty you're having. How wonderful you'll feel as each step of the process is finished! You'll have quite the accomplishment to share!