Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/planning-move-setting-up-sewing-quilting-area-t297511.html)

Jordan 06-10-2018 09:16 AM

Good for you. What ever you feel comfortable with is great for you. Maybe your guests will enjoy seeing your work.

zozee 06-10-2018 11:28 AM

You are already neat and tidy and organized, so I'm sure your sewing space is seldom out of control, if ever. To me, the space with the best natural lighting is the best space for everything except sleeping. My sewing room is in the bigger of the two spare rooms (emptied when older children flew the coop) and I chose it because it's much brighter and bigger than the north-facing bedroom. Even though I like guests to sleep in that room because it has a queen bed, I do have to straighten it up (quite a bit!) . Thankfully, I always get a lot of advanced notice.

I like visiting people in their hobby areas. Certainly is a conversation starter and I learn from people things I didn't know before if they talk about their hobby. Figure out what arrangement will make you feel satisfied and productive and then go for it.

selm 06-10-2018 11:30 AM

I think your setup will work well for you. I like Tartan's idea of dividing the space with large units. You could also have a simple folding screen for your sewing area if you wanted to block the view to it.

cathyvv 06-10-2018 11:52 AM

Exactly my thoughts! Above all, visiting grandchildren are important, so use the 2nd bedroom as a guest room.

SuzzyQ 06-10-2018 02:15 PM

Thank you all!!!!! I was beginning to doubt my plans so this has made me feel much better!

suern3 06-10-2018 02:21 PM

Oh, do use your open, well lit area and enjoy it! When I started quilting after I retired, I had my sewing machine in a bedroom with light and a nice view from the windows, plus fabric storage. I set up my cutting table and ironing board in our living room. It was set up most of the time, other than briefly for holidays. We do not do entertaining, just kids and grands for the most part. When people come to our house we normally sit at the kitchen table to visit. It worked great. Then I was able to move all my sewing to the basement and spread out, have a design wall which I love. It is very nice, walk-out basement so pretty good light, but actually, I sometimes miss being on the main level. So if for some reason the stairs are no longer an option for me, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to my original set up.

Rhonda K 06-10-2018 02:34 PM

Suzzy,

Best wishes in your move. Yes to using the space for your sewing area that works best.

Rhonda Lee 06-10-2018 03:24 PM

It sounds wonderful. And you are the only one you need to please!

SusieQOH 06-11-2018 02:57 AM

I agree with the others. You have to do what works for you and what you will enjoy.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-11-2018 04:28 AM

I would definitely use IKEA storage units to make a great office/craft room wherever you want it.