Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area >

Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

Old 06-10-2018, 02:51 AM

Default Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

I'm moving hopefully by the end of the year from a four bedroom house to a seniors apartment complex. It is an older building and very spacious. The open concept living room is very large with Great natural light and will be set up as sitting/TV area and possibly a work area for my sewing/quilting, office and music space. I want to be able to use my computer while sewing. I also have two part-time jobs requiring the computer. Am I crazy to have this area out in plain sight?

On one hand - I am usually very neat and organized and it will be just me. I also figure, since I will be able to access everywhere, I will be diligent about keeping everything neat and getting things put away properly. Right now it's easiest to let my DD take things upstairs and put them into my sewing room for me to put away WHEN I get there. Stairs are a problem so I'm not up every day or even every week so things get built up and I have to clean at least 2 hours - by which time I usually need to go downstairs to the bathroom, get a drink, answer the door. And I only go up when DD is home for fear of falling. I have been through three years of not being able to use my sewing room either at all or very rarely (and depending on my physical state or if someone is around).

But - This open area will be right "there", first thing visitors will see. I hope to be able to enjoy my quilting, etc more often and don't like the idea of being shut up in the second small bedroom. And I plan on using the second bedroom closet for storage for my sewing and quilting supplies. And I plan on a trip to IKEA for furniture for my craft/office area so it will be super organized and cohesive.

The only other alternative is to make the second bedroom mine and use the master bedroom for sewing/office. But the lighting is terrible and I wouldn't be able to have my grandkids visit (there are rooms for visiting family members but the grands are too young). And the large open area would be under-utilized.

So - please myself or keep everything ship shape?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-10-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-10-2018, 04:12 AM

Go for it! You should please yourself and enjoy the great new space and accessibility. And, quit worrying if the space is (a little or even a lot) disorganized looking. No one will be upset and you will have your quilting back. Life is too short to be concerned about what others will think. You are doing the best for you. Enjoy!!
Old 06-10-2018, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

How often you have company versus your use of your sewing computer room should be a good indicator for you. I might check out some really tall storage units that would act to partition the big room and mount an art quilt on the back.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Why not use the space that will work for you?

It's your place - did you say that you have a "visiting area"?

If so, and you feel your work area has gotten too messy for your comfort, visit guests there.

Unless you are running a bed and breakfast, inn, or hotel, I think it is silly to worry about accommodating guests.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:01 AM

I vote to keep the large well lit area for quilting. You could get a couple of those folding screens to close off the area from visitors (unless they are quilters too) and hang a flannel or felt design wall on the backside facing the sewing area. Good luck with the move and you will make the right decision. It may take living there for awhile to figure out what is best for you.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:38 AM

sounds like you've worked out a perfect plan! go for it!! ♥
Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 AM

Don't build your daily workspace around what others might think. Your home is not a stage to be set; it's a space to be lived in and used to its very best advantage for YOU. Use it the way that makes your heart happy. Everyone else can do what they want at THEIR house. Enjoy your large, bright space!
Old 06-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Go with your plan and enjoy your big, ideal room!

Perhaps the 2nd bedroom while used for storage in the closet,
could be used as the sitting room when you do have visitors.
Realistically though, how often do you have company?
And is the company beyond your immediate family?

To me, if people are more worried about your set-up in your home than coming for the visit ... then they really are not there to visit with you!!!! Worse than Quilt Police, IMHO!

Another thought ... with a fresh start in your new smaller place, all on one level,
perhaps you will find that you will be able to keep things a bit tidier and you will be happier with how it looks.
Before you move, take the time to do some planning and set it up the way you want to.

Happy planning ... and moving to your new Home Sweet Home!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:21 AM

I agree. Do for yourself not others. I am finally getting my studio that I have always wanted but never was able to get. My garage is being transformed into a 17 by 21’ studio all my quilting will be in there and I plan on having many happy days in there
Old 06-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Have your workspace in view. I’m sure your visitors will be interested in what you do.