Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

I'm moving hopefully by the end of the year from a four bedroom house to a seniors apartment complex. It is an older building and very spacious. The open concept living room is very large with Great natural light and will be set up as sitting/TV area and possibly a work area for my sewing/quilting, office and music space. I want to be able to use my computer while sewing. I also have two part-time jobs requiring the computer. Am I crazy to have this area out in plain sight?

On one hand - I am usually very neat and organized and it will be just me. I also figure, since I will be able to access everywhere, I will be diligent about keeping everything neat and getting things put away properly. Right now it's easiest to let my DD take things upstairs and put them into my sewing room for me to put away WHEN I get there. Stairs are a problem so I'm not up every day or even every week so things get built up and I have to clean at least 2 hours - by which time I usually need to go downstairs to the bathroom, get a drink, answer the door. And I only go up when DD is home for fear of falling. I have been through three years of not being able to use my sewing room either at all or very rarely (and depending on my physical state or if someone is around).

But - This open area will be right "there", first thing visitors will see. I hope to be able to enjoy my quilting, etc more often and don't like the idea of being shut up in the second small bedroom. And I plan on using the second bedroom closet for storage for my sewing and quilting supplies. And I plan on a trip to IKEA for furniture for my craft/office area so it will be super organized and cohesive.

The only other alternative is to make the second bedroom mine and use the master bedroom for sewing/office. But the lighting is terrible and I wouldn't be able to have my grandkids visit (there are rooms for visiting family members but the grands are too young). And the large open area would be under-utilized.

So - please myself or keep everything ship shape?
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-10-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Go for it! You should please yourself and enjoy the great new space and accessibility. And, quit worrying if the space is (a little or even a lot) disorganized looking. No one will be upset and you will have your quilting back. Life is too short to be concerned about what others will think. You are doing the best for you. Enjoy!!

Power Poster
    How often you have company versus your use of your sewing computer room should be a good indicator for you. I might check out some really tall storage units that would act to partition the big room and mount an art quilt on the back.

Power Poster
    Why not use the space that will work for you?

It's your place - did you say that you have a "visiting area"?

If so, and you feel your work area has gotten too messy for your comfort, visit guests there.

Unless you are running a bed and breakfast, inn, or hotel, I think it is silly to worry about accommodating guests.

I vote to keep the large well lit area for quilting. You could get a couple of those folding screens to close off the area from visitors (unless they are quilters too) and hang a flannel or felt design wall on the backside facing the sewing area. Good luck with the move and you will make the right decision. It may take living there for awhile to figure out what is best for you.
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

sounds like you've worked out a perfect plan! go for it!! ♥
    Liz / Calgary

Don't build your daily workspace around what others might think. Your home is not a stage to be set; it's a space to be lived in and used to its very best advantage for YOU. Use it the way that makes your heart happy. Everyone else can do what they want at THEIR house. Enjoy your large, bright space!
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Go with your plan and enjoy your big, ideal room!

Perhaps the 2nd bedroom while used for storage in the closet,
    could be used as the sitting room when you do have visitors.
    Realistically though, how often do you have company?
    And is the company beyond your immediate family?

To me, if people are more worried about your set-up in your home than coming for the visit ... then they really are not there to visit with you!!!! Worse than Quilt Police, IMHO!

Another thought ... with a fresh start in your new smaller place, all on one level,
    perhaps you will find that you will be able to keep things a bit tidier and you will be happier with how it looks.
    Before you move, take the time to do some planning and set it up the way you want to.

Happy planning ... and moving to your new Home Sweet Home!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I agree. Do for yourself not others. I am finally getting my studio that I have always wanted but never was able to get. My garage is being transformed into a 17 by 21’ studio all my quilting will be in there and I plan on having many happy days in there

Have your workspace in view. I’m sure your visitors will be interested in what you do.

Good for you. What ever you feel comfortable with is great for you. Maybe your guests will enjoy seeing your work.

You are already neat and tidy and organized, so I'm sure your sewing space is seldom out of control, if ever. To me, the space with the best natural lighting is the best space for everything except sleeping. My sewing room is in the bigger of the two spare rooms (emptied when older children flew the coop) and I chose it because it's much brighter and bigger than the north-facing bedroom. Even though I like guests to sleep in that room because it has a queen bed, I do have to straighten it up (quite a bit!) . Thankfully, I always get a lot of advanced notice.

I like visiting people in their hobby areas. Certainly is a conversation starter and I learn from people things I didn't know before if they talk about their hobby. Figure out what arrangement will make you feel satisfied and productive and then go for it.

I think your setup will work well for you. I like Tartan's idea of dividing the space with large units. You could also have a simple folding screen for your sewing area if you wanted to block the view to it.
    Sally

Exactly my thoughts! Above all, visiting grandchildren are important, so use the 2nd bedroom as a guest room.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Thank you all!!!!! I was beginning to doubt my plans so this has made me feel much better!
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Oh, do use your open, well lit area and enjoy it! When I started quilting after I retired, I had my sewing machine in a bedroom with light and a nice view from the windows, plus fabric storage. I set up my cutting table and ironing board in our living room. It was set up most of the time, other than briefly for holidays. We do not do entertaining, just kids and grands for the most part. When people come to our house we normally sit at the kitchen table to visit. It worked great. Then I was able to move all my sewing to the basement and spread out, have a design wall which I love. It is very nice, walk-out basement so pretty good light, but actually, I sometimes miss being on the main level. So if for some reason the stairs are no longer an option for me, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to my original set up.

Suzzy,

Best wishes in your move. Yes to using the space for your sewing area that works best.

It sounds wonderful. And you are the only one you need to please!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I agree with the others. You have to do what works for you and what you will enjoy.

I would definitely use IKEA storage units to make a great office/craft room wherever you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    Don't build your daily workspace around what others might think. Your home is not a stage to be set; it's a space to be lived in and used to its very best advantage for YOU. Use it the way that makes your heart happy. Everyone else can do what they want at THEIR house. Enjoy your large, bright space!
    Totally agree - enjoy your home the way you want it!

I agree...it's your space..life's too short to worry about what anyone will think.
    I have a sewing table set up in my living room, because that's where the tv and fireplace are!I do the majority of my quilting in the winter. In the warmer months I cut and sometimes piece a bit. I have my fabric storage and cutting table in a spare bedroom.I have an ironing board in both spaces, but the living room one I fold and put away when not in use.
    I find that 99% of people love to see what's on my sewing table when they come here. The other 1% would find fault with any arrangement I had, so I pay them no mind. If it works for you, fits in your life, adds enjoyment...go for it!

Please arrange your room to make it the most comfortable and usable for YOU. I took my dining room and turned it into a room for my long arm, hubby and I always eat in the kitchen. It works great for me and everyone who comes to visit loves to see what I'm working on. Go for it and have fun. Brenda

I agree with the others - make your home any way you want it. When our daughters moved out we decided to make some changes. When you walk into my house the first room is my DH's music/computer area (he has a full drum set and piano and his computer desk). Originally it was the front room or sitting room. The smaller of the two bedrooms is a guest room and the other is my sewing room. We have a large family/tv room which has a large tv and connected to the stereo so we have surround sound. It's far from fancy but it is comfortable for us and we have no trouble getting people that come to visit and enjoy it with us.

I understand your situation...We just built a new home and I went bk/forth as to what rm would be used as a gst rm.
    The small or larger...Smaller being near full bth, other you needed to walk across the loft. I worried and worried wanting my gsts to be happy and then realized it's my hse and if they don't like the smaller rm they don't have to come back or can stay at a hotel. I decided the larger rm would house my sewing stuff and the gsts got cozy as I saw it near bthrm. Had gsts and they didn't mind the cozy at all and liked being near the bthrm. Gone are the days of worrying abt what others want and think...IT'S NOW ALL ABT ME!!!! YOU DO THE SAME!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast