Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Small lIroning Station

My Small lIroning Station

Space is at a premium in my sewing room (dining room), so DH made me a small ironing station, to use beside my sewing table. It is only a trial, to see what I want/need from an ironing station. I was so eager to try it out, I did not even wait for him to finish painting it!

It is on little wheels, so I can move it nearer or out of the way as I need it.
    On the bottom shelf I placed 2 holders for big thread-spools and the Peggy Stitch Eraser is kept in a small wooden crate I found in the garage.
    Two days later he added a tool holder on top (towards the back), where I keep the small tools I use the most. So far, it works great!

A day or so later, I found 2 bathroom caddies in the garage, and he modified it to attached to one side, to keep the hot iron. The other spaces on the caddies, I filled with large mugs - one for glues, one for rotary cutters, and oils and rubbing alcohol etc.
    While using it, I have started to attached hooks for my rulers at the back and at the front.
    Now, after a few weeks of working on it and with it, I think it is ready to be made into a properly organized, ironing station.
    Is there anything you will alter or change if it was yours?
    I also need some input on what to do with the electrical cord at the bottom?
    Thanks!
    Name:  IMG_1943.JPG
Views: 1420
Size:  1.49 MB

Name:  IMG_1944.JPG
Views: 1426
Size:  1.47 MB

Name:  IMG_1945.JPG
Views: 1424
Size:  1.69 MB

Blog Entries
    wow, very nice
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Looks like it is working out well.

The only suggestion I have would be to have the plug-in part of the cord in a location that is easy to access.

That holds a ton of stuff in a small space.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    wow, very nice
    Thank you QuiltnNan, coming from you it is a lovely compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Looks like it is working out well.

The only suggestion I have would be to have the plug-in part of the cord in a location that is easy to access.
    Thank you Bearisgray, I will hold that in consideration! Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    That holds a ton of stuff in a small space.
    It sure does, doesn't it!?!?! Isn't it amazing how much "stuff" we "need" to quilt? Thanks for looking!

Looking good... and so organized... good job!

you have everything you need. Who needs a separate house for it all
    (((your husband)))

If you broke the handles off the mugs, you'd room for lots more {giggle}
    Liz / Calgary

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    you have everything you need. Who needs a separate house for it all
    (((your husband)))
    Thank you Kalama, yes, he is a keeper. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
    If you broke the handles off the mugs, you'd room for lots more {giggle}
    I got the mugs from my boys, when they were still at school....with my luck I'll break the whole mug!!

That design is so good. It takes care of a lot of storage issues that plague us all. Maybe he should think about making them and selling them at the quilt shows. Or perhaps putting a pattern together for purchase.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Thank you Barb in Louisiana, he is very impressed with you for thinking so highly of his 'putterings', as he calls it. It really is a wonderful little ironing station...I am very happy with it

Wonderful organization. Looks like everything has its place and so functional.

Love the station! a prfect place for you to iron.

Tie the excess cord with some time wraps. The cord will stay in place but you will be able to still slide some length of cord if you ever need it. Surely, your DH has a couple in his tool box that he will let you borrow.

Blog Entries
    I think you did a great job utilizing and maximizing all the storage. It is great that you have such a handy husband. I don't have a lot of suggestions about the cords though.

I have a dog that is a chewer. And, I just use a command hook strategically placed to keep my sewing machine cord high enough off the floor that the little demon can't get to it. Maybe that would work for you. Or even a binder clip hooked to cording then hooked to the command hook...…?

Last edited by Judith1005; 06-04-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    Could your husband drill a hole in the back center of the station to run the cord through? You could then run it along the bottom of the wall to the outlet.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

I would need a little "garbage can" for threads and things. I usually use a kleenex near and when I clean up the area, I just throw the kleenex away. I went back up and just saw the handmade "thread can" you made. I agree with the lady above to move the electric multi-plug to an easier to locate place. If you need a light to tell you if the iron is off or on,
    maybe a little night light could be plugged in also.

Blog Entries
    What a clever set up and a great use of space for your notions.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Since I use one room for EVERYTHING (a guest bedroom, sewing, scrapbooking, embroidering and storage), I definitely would purchase a small ironing/storage station!

I think we are serious about your DH writing up his pattern for this. I really like it and told my own DH a few days ago I needed an ironing space, and never thought about all what you added. It’s really great!

Blog Entries
    Name:  412FFECA-C03F-4757-8E3E-9470A9DA7401.jpeg
Views: 997
Size:  891.3 KBYour hubs is clever and so are you to get all that into one space! The hair clip to guide the iron cord is genius! My set up doesn't move, but DH helped by putting the extension plug strip at a level that's easy for me to reach. The strip's on/off switch is at the bottom, and the fail-safe is that the iron shows when it's on. The iron also beeps afer not being used for awhile. Maybe your husband could figure out something similar for a plug in strip, except your station moves about the room. Let us know how this turns out.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have made notes of everyone's input, and we will incorporate it in the new ironing station. Thank you all for your kind words and great ideas! I love Quiltingboard!

I used to be a professional organizer, so I loved looking at your setup...here's what I can see, and my thoughts on it. First, the bottom shelf could be better utilized. I would make you a bet that you have things in those bottom baskets that you only use once in a while...I"d put those elsewhere. It looks like you've got a black cord head in a small wooden box? I would take the cords and the heads and extensions and put the whole mess into one of the bigger plastic baskets on the bottom. Get rid of the little wooden box. Straighten your cords out and neatly loop them and fasten with a small strip of velcro. Make it a point to put it away every time you're finished with it.
    Another thing I see is those small rulers at the bottom.. I'd take those down...they're in the way and are likely to catch on things..instead put those rulers into the other plastic basket along with some supplies you know you want to keep nearby.
    You did a wonderful job with that tool holder! As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of stealing your idea! clever, space saving and easy to pull what you need and return it.
    the rest of your station looks really good. Just do what you can to keep it clean and resist the idea of adding little things that you think you might need...only add the essentials. and btw...you know it's easier to give advice than take it! I should follow my own advice!! But we do the best we can..you've got a winner with your cart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast