Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What size is your

Blog Entries

What size is your

sewing room? Is it too big? (Ha!). Too small? Or just right? And please, feel free to elaborate why.

My husband told me to figure out what size sewing room I would need when we build our new house. I currently have 2 sewing machines, an embroidery machine and hope to receive a serger for Christmas so I have an idea what I need for those, additionally I hope to purchase a stand-up long arm and frame in the next few years but have no idea how much room I would need for that.

Any help, thoughts and/or comments are appreciated!

thanks, Marilyn
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.

I live in a 5th Wheel camper so my sewing area is my recliner with a Gidget I table & my sewing machine right in front of me at all times. My small scissors, marking pencils, small 6" rulers and seam ripper are in an old coffee mug to the right of my machine. Larger scissors, small templates and a bag with my machine binding tool hang from S hooks off the curtain rod beside my recliner. Behind my chair is a wall unit with my wooden sewing box & my library of quilt books. My fabric is stored in my bedroom closet in bins. Small spaces just require more organization. :-)

Blog Entries
    I have an 8 x 10 foot room, and I tend to use my dining room table as a cutting table. Also I use another closet in the hall for the larger pieces of fabric. Good thing I am a widow and don't have to share any of my space!

Our space was a 2-car garage, so about 20 x 24. We had cabinets installed along one wall and had an island built. The 12' quilting frame is along one long wall. We also have a full-six refrigerator in there, which takes a LOT of room. I'd say it is a good size for 2 piecers and a quilter.

I have 2 bedrooms that I use for sewing rooms. One is fairly large (about 16 x 20) and the other is smaller (maybe 12 x 15). I have 4 machines and a serger set up all the time in one room and a large cutting table and 2 bookcases for all the books and manuals plus a smaller set of shelves to hold my patterns. I tend to have lots of stuff and have managed to fill both rooms, plus the closets. You can never have too much room
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I don't really know what size mine is. It's a pretty good size room, and I have also have a very large closet and half the laundry room for storage. It's still not enough. LOL Don't forget you will also need space for ironing, a design board, a cutting table and storage for your stash, etc. A long arm setup will take a lot of space. Make it bigger than you expect to need - you won't be sorry. Have fun planning and dreaming.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info quilters!

Approximately how much room is needed for the 12’ quilting frame Wesing? Not just the frame, I’m guessing that’s 12’ but room around it to be able to comfortably function? That’s the part I lack knowledge in the most.

Blog Entries
    https://vw-handiquilter.storage.goog...ms-Oct2015.pdf

The above link gives the space requirements for the various Handi Quilter machines. I am sure other machines will have similar space requirements. Keep in mind this is just the requirement for the machine. Also larger machines will have a greater depth. I am a larger women and I prefer extra space around my machine.

So generally a room that is 3 feet longer and wider than the table. Width will vary a bit based on whether or not you plan to do Pantos. You need to access the back of the machine for Pantos. If your table has casters, you may be able to get by with less room front to back, but if you are designing from scratch, more is better.

Now if you want to store threads, batting, rulers, stencils, pins, red snappers or other leader grips, you will need space for storage units as well.

Then you need room for your sewing machines, ironing board/table, cutting table. Plus fabric storage, books, magazines, patterns, computer to surf the net etc., comfy chair, coffee maker or kettle for tea.

Important to consider, enough electrical outlets on their own breaker. Lots of good lighting, spot, task, movable etc.

You will want one wall blank for your design wall too.

I have my sewing stuff in three different rooms. Probably 400 square feet all together. My HQ 16 is in one room mostly by itself. Fabric, sewing machines and ironing board in room two. More fabric, books, patterns, comfy seating in room three. One day I will remove the walls between the spaces, but not yet.
    Last edited by Tothill; 12-18-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    That’s great info on your link Tothill, thank you!

My sewing is 10x12 and not big enough. I have utilized every inch of space so far. Of course you can always fill more space.

Is there a local dealer with a set-up that you can visit? That will give you an idea of room design. It helps to physically be in the space and walk around machines, etc. Plan out your needs for storage areas depending on the types of projects you do.

I have an 18 X 30 foot she shed for my studio. I have 2 tables for 4 sewing stations + my APQS Millennium on a 12 foot frame. I've got a really nice size cutting station & ironing station as well. I've got plenty of room for everything.

we just built an 27 x 38 room with heat in the floor. about 10 feet of it is tv room and the rest is my sewing, i have
    a stand up long arm with 10 foot frame i have 5 machines with a serger also. a cutting table and big ironing board
    also with storage and it is not crowded i love it. every thing is in one room

My sewing room is 14x32, and while it IS considerably larger than my old sewing room, it's not big enough. LOL I just got a sit down Bailey, sit down, because I have NO room for a frame, although that is what I really would like. I do have a considerable stash of fabric AND machines though, so a lot of it depends on your stash/machines.

My studio is 16 x 30 and it is none too big. I have a cutting table, a desk with a second machine on it, a large corner unit for my computer and a Janome 15K, a wall of lower kitchen cabinets with drawers and a nice long top as well as two 4' x 8' wall shelving units. There is also a 8' table by my Handi Quilter Avante. The Avante is 12' long so you need room on both ends and both sides to be able to load a quilt and stand to quilt (takes a lot of space). I also have a small ref, wall hung TV, and a couple of file cabinets. Really packed room out in our barn shaped garage up on the second floor. I am a very lucky lady. My husband and I finished it up when I decided I wanted a long arm. Hope you get your dream studio.

Husband says my room is 12 x 12. Sounds big you say? Forgot to mention that it has pocket doors to hide all my goodies.....two windows....and two closet doors in it!!! Not a solid wall anywhere. House was designed like this when I moved it after marriage. This room isn't big enough and the lack of wall area drives me insane. (Short trip I know).

And make sure all electrical outlets are above all the sewing machine tables. Mine are just about 6 inches or a foot above all the table. So as they don't get covered up. Mine is 12 x 14; I had it added on before I got my long arm. NO room for it in the sewing room which is too small. I wish now I'd enclosed the 2 car garage and added the garage on. I'd say a 2 car garage size would not be too small. Like the others have said, you cannot have too much room.

My sewing "area" is about a third of my family room. It's approximately 11 X 8 I have a large closet, two wall units, one on each side of my sewing table plus a chest of draws. All that holds my books, fabric, thread, rulers, etc. I put up a folding table when needed to cut, I also utilize my dining room table when I need a larger lay-out area and I hang a flannel table cloth over the closet doors when I need to lay out my blocks. I also use a small table top ironing board. I seem to get along just fine in those tiny quarters. I call it my "happy place".

I bought this old house with a basement thinking I'd use the entire basement for my sewing room as it also included a full bathroom. Of course the furnace and storage rooms took away some of the space and then so did the laundry but not really that much. Anyway I then had a small kitchenette installed using the old sink from the kitchen so I could starch my fabrics and hang them up on a rod I installed between the rafters. Little by little I enlarged some items such as the cutting table, quilt machine and frame, added more shelving for fabrics and supplies and finally a design wall. Now its too small for all I have here but its all mine and I tend to live down here from time to time.

I have a 26" machine with 12' frame, down to 1 embroidery machine and 1 serger, 1 regular machine, most all the walls are full with rulers, threads, etc. shelving for fabrics along 2 outer walls and 1 inner wall. I tend to use the quilt frame for my drop off when not in use. Have shelving under the cutting table that went from 3 x 6 to 4 x 8 using 2 bottom halves of a couple bookcases so storage for books and patterns, shelving underneath to keep my scraps and fat quarters.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

That is easy.....you need the WHOLE HOUSE.

I have about 1000 sq feet. I started in a small bedroom next to the kitchen, then we added on 3 times. (YAY!) I have a 12 ft. longarm, a 2 head commercial embroidery machine, a 10 1/2 x 3 1/2 ft cutting table, 3 sewing machines, 1 Sashiko machine, a seger, filing cabinet, computer and printer, small table and chairs and a smaller cutting table. I still wish I had more room. LOL
    I think it goes - however much room you have want more. I sew or quilt everyday so the space is really used. I love it!
    My DH likes to tease me about how much room I have, but then I point out how large his barns are.

I am in the bigger is better crowd. My long arm (Nolting 24" with 12' frame...wish it was a 14) and all it's supplies...batting, thread, pantos, etc...have half of a double garage unless I back the car out and then I get lots more room. I have my ironing board set up in this room too. I do my piecing on a kitchen table underneath the double windows in that room. I thought I would look out some. Not!!! All my fabric and large cutting table, and 1 more sewing machine is in the converted 15 x 20 shop with only a door between us. It, also, has a small bath. Love having that in there. I have large open shelving units along every wall in that room totally filled with fabric, old timey sewing patterns, quilting patterns, fun rulers, some yarn, fleece and who knows what else? I am a fabric junkie, so I have run totally out of space. I have totes - 2 to a shelf (about 15) filled with kits, specialty fabric...Christmas, Fall, Kids...and UFO's. I'll never get all the UFO's sewed, but that is my goal in 2018. Get half the UFO's (about 35) finished before I start on the kits. That will free up some space. Don't forget to add some space for storage of completed quilts and tops that need to be quilted. And on another shelving unit, I have thread sets/types sorted in Joan project boxes...probably 10 of those and a roll around plastic cart that has drawers with a complete 360 thread color set for when I want to embroidery on home/embroidery unit. I buy yardage when I buy fabric....don't have but a few fat quarters.

OMG....I need to get in there now and get something done. Christmas is a coming!

Overall, if I could design my own space, I would have cabinets that I could close the doors on with shelves that are 1" taller than folded twice and then rolled around a 6 inch wide ruler for my fabric. I would have a wall, that had several design walls on it, that either turn to the side or pull out for easier viewing and access. Similar to how they display the rugs in Home Depot or Lowe's. That way the projects wouldn't end up out of sight, out of mind. I would have a large cutting table, would love a 4' x 8' one, with pull out drawers all around for all the rulers, rotary cutters, blades, paper for figuring out dimensions and pencils. And larger drawers for the fabric you are working on in the current project. A wood roll around cart for all the embroidery supplies and I have a lot of different stabilizers, thread and patterns. Roll around so I can take it to the project. Figure out your U shaped sewing area for every machine and build them with rollers, that you can lock in place, with features, like being able to move the machines up and down for level sewing areas. Don't forget a sitting area with a small couch or recliner so hubby can come visit while you create. I'm thinking my perfect room would be about 20 by 60.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-19-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Quote Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
    And make sure all electrical outlets are above all the sewing machine tables. Mine are just about 6 inches or a foot above all the table. So as they don't get covered up. Mine is 12 x 14; I had it added on before I got my long arm. NO room for it in the sewing room which is too small. I wish now I'd enclosed the 2 car garage and added the garage on. I'd say a 2 car garage size would not be too small. Like the others have said, you cannot have too much room.
    You can deal with lower outlets if you have an already built room by using power strips and mounting them on the wall above the table. I did this a few years ago when I decided it was getting too hard to crawl under the tables. I have one with my iron and floor lamp on it. I use the power strip to turn it on and off so I have an easy way to tell if I've left the iron on. If the lamp is off, the iron is off.

Then I have one for my TV and the Bernina and one from the 301, serger and Featherweight
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    We did a new room addition over our two car garage last spring...I’m finally getting settled in and it seems big but I hope to fill the remaining space someday with a longarm. My new sewing space is about 18x24. I was able to put outlets in the floor and ceiling and, once I finish restoring an oak table, I will have three workspaces for machines. I have a Huffy work table for cutting and a large ironing surface. Go big if you can. : )
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by marjben View Post
    Thanks for the info quilters!

Approximately how much room is needed for the 12í quilting frame Wesing? Not just the frame, Iím guessing thatís 12í but room around it to be able to comfortably function? Thatís the part I lack knowledge in the most.
    You need the 12 feet for the table plus room to walk around. I once had one end of mine against a wall but sure got a lot of extra exercise walk around one end only. Now, in a new place, I'm able to walk around both ends and do notice the shorter walking distance. On the sides you need the width of the table and at least 2 1/2 feet on each side for walking. I have seen where quilters roll they table against a wall depending on whether they are doing pantos(work from the back) or free-motion(work from the front). Come to think of it, you still need to get to the front when you are sewing pantos to do placement, starting and stopping, etc. so don't know how others do that if one side is against a wall.

My present sewing room is 4 feet short of the size of a two car garage. My longarm is in the basement. It could be in the sewing room but that does have a couple of corners with slanted ceilings which can be a problem with planning layout. I have a single bed "guest corner" in the room and if I took that out I could probably fit the longarm but actually like it in the basement which is very large and I can take all the room I want.
    As others have said, you can use all the room you can find or make.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    You can deal with lower outlets if you have an already built room by using power strips and mounting them on the wall above the table. I did this a few years ago when I decided it was getting too hard to crawl under the tables. I have one with my iron and floor lamp on it. I use the power strip to turn it on and off so I have an easy way to tell if I've left the iron on. If the lamp is off, the iron is off.

Then I have one for my TV and the Bernina and one from the 301, serger and Featherweight
    This is a great idea cashs mom.
    Sally

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast