Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/power-cord-ceiling-your-longarm-t280212.html)

sval 07-06-2016 03:58 AM

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

For all of you that have a longarm would you want the power cord coming down from the ceiling if you could?
My DH is suggesting this option. He is capable of rewiring the basement ceiling so that the cord comes down instead of laying on the floor underfoot.
I know I'd like it out of the way, but am not sure if hanging down is a good option.
Any thoughts?
SVAL

hairquilt 07-06-2016 04:44 AM

What a great idea! I would love that for my DSM also! You're lucky to have someone that can do that for you!

sval 07-06-2016 04:52 AM

And maybe the iron? that pesky cord is always in the way.

Would love to hear what everyone thinks of the practicallity of having cords coming down from the ceiling.

We just finished the basement with a dropped ceiling. So the electrical system is accesible. And my husband is a very handy guy.
He's offering to wire both appliances from the ceiling.
But before he goes to the trouble, I'd love to know if it's a good idea.
SVAL

ManiacQuilter2 07-06-2016 05:06 AM

I think it is a great idea!

cashs_mom 07-06-2016 05:20 AM

For some things it would be great. I'm not sure how many things I'd want wired that way, but I can see the advantage of having that for some things. I plug all my machines and my iron into a power strip. I have the power strips mounted on the wall behind the machines above the table top so that I can easily unplug them when I"m finished working. I have my iron plugged into a similar strip mounted about 4 foot up the wall with my Ott lamp I used by the ironing board. That makes it easy to know I shut them down.

lfletcher 07-06-2016 05:34 AM

I think I would like it. Hard to say without trying it.

lfletcher 07-06-2016 05:39 AM

I just had another thought. I would not be able to reach it to unplug in my longarm room. This would definitely be a problem as I unplug when it's not in use. (Mainly because I live in Texas and we have a lot of electrical storms.) I could, of course, get a step stool but then this would probably be more in the way than the cord.

my-ty 07-06-2016 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher (Post 7595262)
I just had another thought. I would not be able to reach it to unplug in my longarm room. This would definitely be a problem as I unplug when it's not in use. (Mainly because I live in Texas and we have a lot of electrical storms.) I could, of course, get a step stool but then this would probably be more in the way than the cord.

This is a reason why I wouldn't want a plug in the ceiling. Also having a cord dangling from the ceiling would look unfinished to me.

selm 07-06-2016 08:06 AM

Don't forget too that the cord travels with your machine as you move along the table. Do you have your cord placed over one of the cross bars under the table? This was done when my table/machine was first set up and although the cord is there under the table this seems to keep it out of my way so it doesn't bother me at all(or maybe I'm just used to now).

Tothill 07-06-2016 08:15 AM

I am planning a basement reno and having hanging power boxes is part of my plan. They are often used in industrial settings and have to be in proper conduit so there is no strain on the wires. The outlet box is not in the ceiling, but hangs down.

I work in a commercial bakery from time to time and we have two outlets hanging above one of the free standing tables.

In planning my reno, I will have two or more hanging outlets and numerous countertop ones.

There is no problem unplugging from the hanging outlets, they are well within my reach. I am 5'5" tall. In my basement, where the ceiling is a bit lower than most, it will not be a problem at all.