Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

For all of you that have a longarm would you want the power cord coming down from the ceiling if you could?
    My DH is suggesting this option. He is capable of rewiring the basement ceiling so that the cord comes down instead of laying on the floor underfoot.
    I know I'd like it out of the way, but am not sure if hanging down is a good option.
    Any thoughts?
    SVAL

Blog Entries
    What a great idea! I would love that for my DSM also! You're lucky to have someone that can do that for you!
    Last edited by hairquilt; 07-06-2016 at 04:44 AM. Reason: spelling

And maybe the iron? that pesky cord is always in the way.

Would love to hear what everyone thinks of the practicallity of having cords coming down from the ceiling.

We just finished the basement with a dropped ceiling. So the electrical system is accesible. And my husband is a very handy guy.
    He's offering to wire both appliances from the ceiling.
    But before he goes to the trouble, I'd love to know if it's a good idea.
    SVAL

I think it is a great idea!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

For some things it would be great. I'm not sure how many things I'd want wired that way, but I can see the advantage of having that for some things. I plug all my machines and my iron into a power strip. I have the power strips mounted on the wall behind the machines above the table top so that I can easily unplug them when I"m finished working. I have my iron plugged into a similar strip mounted about 4 foot up the wall with my Ott lamp I used by the ironing board. That makes it easy to know I shut them down.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I think I would like it. Hard to say without trying it.

I just had another thought. I would not be able to reach it to unplug in my longarm room. This would definitely be a problem as I unplug when it's not in use. (Mainly because I live in Texas and we have a lot of electrical storms.) I could, of course, get a step stool but then this would probably be more in the way than the cord.

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    I just had another thought. I would not be able to reach it to unplug in my longarm room. This would definitely be a problem as I unplug when it's not in use. (Mainly because I live in Texas and we have a lot of electrical storms.) I could, of course, get a step stool but then this would probably be more in the way than the cord.
    This is a reason why I wouldn't want a plug in the ceiling. Also having a cord dangling from the ceiling would look unfinished to me.

Don't forget too that the cord travels with your machine as you move along the table. Do you have your cord placed over one of the cross bars under the table? This was done when my table/machine was first set up and although the cord is there under the table this seems to keep it out of my way so it doesn't bother me at all(or maybe I'm just used to now).
    Sally

Blog Entries
    I am planning a basement reno and having hanging power boxes is part of my plan. They are often used in industrial settings and have to be in proper conduit so there is no strain on the wires. The outlet box is not in the ceiling, but hangs down.

I work in a commercial bakery from time to time and we have two outlets hanging above one of the free standing tables.

In planning my reno, I will have two or more hanging outlets and numerous countertop ones.

There is no problem unplugging from the hanging outlets, they are well within my reach. I am 5'5" tall. In my basement, where the ceiling is a bit lower than most, it will not be a problem at all.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    I am planning a basement reno and having hanging power boxes is part of my plan. They are often used in industrial settings and have to be in proper conduit so there is no strain on the wires. The outlet box is not in the ceiling, but hangs down.

I work in a commercial bakery from time to time and we have two outlets hanging above one of the free standing tables.

In planning my reno, I will have two or more hanging outlets and numerous countertop ones.

There is no problem unplugging from the hanging outlets, they are well within my reach. I am 5'5" tall. In my basement, where the ceiling is a bit lower than most, it will not be a problem at all.
    Do you think the longarm is a practical application for the hanging outlet? I'm concerned about the cord hanging in the way as the machine travels from end to end. Retractable would probably cause a tugging, don't you think?
    Any info you have on this would be greatly appreciated.
    We are just finishing up a basement renovation with a dropped ceiling. So access is very easy for the power.

Excellent idea! when our house was being built and the electrical was going in I told my DH I wanted an outlet about 5 1/2 to 6 feet from the floor in the utility/laundry room for my iron...it's nice but the cord still hangs on the ironing board so I have to put a fold or two and then rubber band it.

Blog Entries
    I am still on the fence with this idea...I will be starting a sewing room late this fall (above our garage). I am waiting for our contractor to give me the overall dimensions and where my dormer and windows will go so I can put the measurements on graph paper. I haven't decided on the longarm machine yet but am thinking I might want the plug in the floor once I know where it will live in my new sewing room.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    My long arm is set up with the coward coming down from ceiling- it is a great set up! Never catches on anything or is in the way. When we remodeled my room my hubby wired it this way for me with a good surge protector box. So much better now. Before I had to run a big extension cord under the table over to the wall plugin, it was a trip hazard, was always getting caught on something.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have my cords coming from the ceiling. When I moved to this house I changed out the fuse box to a breaker box and added lots more wall plugs on separate circuits so I never overloaded them in case I decided to have all my machines going at one time. Here's a pic of my setup. I have the machine on a voltage regulator and the robotics and auto-advance on the surge protector.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Since my hubby is Tim the tool man, when we built my quilt room/wood shop/3 car garage he installed outlets in the ceiling in all 3 areas. In the sewing room and wood shop we have 2 reels from sears craftsman in each area that has an extension cord hanging down. Just pull down cord when needed and plug into it. When not in use, unplug and it rolls back up to the ceiling. Works well with my quilting machine since it sits in the middle of the room. The machine and lights plus into a bar and the bar is plugged into the power cord reel.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

I could see this setup working for someone who is running robotics like Snooze but I feel it would get in the way for someone who is going to work from both the back and the front of the machine hand guiding, it is especially evident in Snoozes picture. Can you imagine trying to work from the back and having all those cords hanging down and in the way?? All of my power cords are wire tied right to my frame and on on a surge protector with enough slack that the machine can move freely in all directions the entire length of both back rails and front to back rails. But even with surge protector my dealer was very adamant that I unplug the machine when not in use so (due to electrical storms) that would be another reason I would want the plugs more accessible. But if you are in an area that never gets thunder storms that would not be a consideration.

As for me I would rather have the cords on the ground than hanging down where the machine or you could get all tangled up in them.

yel
    Blog Entries
    I had little brother put a plug in for me and he put it on the wall right at the ceiling ,,,I put a surge protector on it that gives the cord some weight and hangs right along the wall and i do unplug when not in use [which isn't very often ] i have a yard stick that i use to grab it .....so i can unplug from the front of the machine..love it go for it

I have my iron cord hanging from a hook up high on a piece of elastic. It's never in the way. I love it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I'm one who will pass on that, even though I do have 3 outlets in my ceilings (the previous owner used this room as a woodworking shop). I unplug everything electrical when I'm done for the day. Even power strips. I paid waaaay too much for my machines to take even the smallest chance of them blowing up from a storm or electrical surge. I've had a machine fried with a surge-protecting power strip. No way to unplug them if they're in the ceiling.

Power Poster
    My power cord is in the ceiling. It is great...

Quote Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
    My power cord is in the ceiling. It is great...
    For both your iron and your longarm? I can potentially see how it could work with the iron, but I'm just not sure about the longarm. I'd hate for my DH to go to the trouble and then have me end up using the wall socket.
    Any information or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
    SVAL

I bought a six-foot heavy duty extension cord which I keep plugged in at the ceiling. The machine plug is then very easy to separate from the extension cord when I am done quilting.

I'm not worried about being able to unplug it. It concerns me that it might be in the way hanging down while I'm doing a pantograph at the back of the table.
    Any thoughts on that?
    SVAL

Blog Entries
    I am envious of all your thread. Not really envious, but it looks beautiful on the wall behind your machine.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast