Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up quilting space - pegboard

Question Setting up quilting space - pegboard

I am finally getting my new space set up and I am wondering how many of you have and use pegboard in your spaces? A friend gave me a box of hooks from her closed business so all I need is the board itself. I just want to be sure it is something I will use. What is your experience? Pictures would be great too! Thank you for any help.
    Barb in Kansas

yel
    Blog Entries
    take a hook along when you go to buy pegboard there are 2 different size hole out there

Power Poster
    Peg board is super! I have a little alcove behind my one machine that has peg board. I hang my stencils, scissors, rulers, extra packaged pens, pins, patterns etc. instead of digging through piles of stuff it is right where I can see it. Think of spaces that you can attach leg board to just not a wall. The back of your sewing room door, the back or side of a sewing desk, inside a cupboard door....
    Forgot to add...I put some strapping on the wall before putting up my peg board because you need space for the hook to go through the hole and out the back of the peg board.

I use a big one all the time. I painted it the same yellow as my wall and framed it with trim from Home Depot. Painted the frame white to go with my furniture. I hung it close to my cutting table.

On mine I hang:
    all my big rulers
    scissors
    dollar store mini buckets (one for glue sticks and tape, one for tape measures ,one for rotary blade packs, one for marking pens)
    quilting gloves
    mini flashlight that has a wriststrap on it

Sorry, I don't have a picture of it. One of these days I'll get my sewing room all clean at the same time and take pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    I use a big one all the time. I painted it the same yellow as my wall and framed it with trim from Home Depot. Painted the frame white to go with my furniture. I hung it close to my cutting table.

On mine I hang:
    all my big rulers
    scissors
    dollar store mini buckets (one for glue sticks and tape, one for tape measures ,one for rotary blade packs, one for marking pens)
    quilting gloves
    mini flashlight that has a wriststrap on it
    I also hang lots on mine. DH made my stash storage cabinets and inset peg board in the top half of all of them. One set of them are in my LA area hanging baskets hold all my odds and ends needed for LA, needles, oil, cleaning supplies, sips, bobbins,

Blog Entries
    I love mine. It's a huge part of my sewing room. My hubby cut it to fit the wall I wanted it on. He also spray painted it a pretty pink color I choose. I also bought a magnetic strip at Harbor Freight and he added that to the bottom of the pegboard. Go for it!!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    I have peg board on 2 complete walls of my sewing room. Hang all of my supplies, scissors, rulers, thread, just every thing that will hang. I would post pictures, but my sewing room is a complete disaster at the moment.

My pegboards are painted and framed (to make it easier to slip in the hooks). I have three. One for stencils, and two more where I've organized my rulers, scissors, rotary cutters, and spray cans(505 spray, starch, etc.). Most rulers have holes for hanging, but my husband had no trouble drilling holes for the ones that didn't.

I think it would be great and it would be the first thing I would put up if I had wall space.
    Anna Quilts

I LOVE my pegboard. I have only gotten one sheet down to my apt (rest are still in storage). I hang my stencils off them but so many other things such as patterns and quilting tools. Just like a husband hangs his toys in the garage, you can organize your quilting toys just like his!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have a rotating carasol (sp) that is peg board on all four sides about 5 feet tall with about a foot near the bottom that doesn't have the peg board, about 18" square. It is full. That is one thing when I had to give away a lot of stuff to get my long arm in the room that was not going anywhere. I don't have much wall space. I have 12 ft windows on 2 walls, back door and door to the other room on the other 2 and shelves to the ceiling on the rest of the walls.

I use pegboards all over my sewing/cutting rooms. Of course that takes away wall space to put wall hangings but I had to make the sacrifice to put all my tools, rulers, threads, etc. I also use the metal hooks instead of dowels as they just didn't stay in the holes well. I found the metal hooks online in larger packages for a lower price too. The long pegboard holds most of my embroidery threads and larger spools of quilting threads. The smaller quilting spools are in a drawer next to my quilt machine. Each color has their own drawer. I have my embroidery threads arranged to match the thread chart so easier for me to find quickly.
    The photo showing my serger threads also shows my shelves of dress fabrics before I got them all on bolt boards of comic book boards. Had a broken pipe above the shelves just shortly after taking this photo. Not pretty either.

Here are my photos..............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I use pegboard above my sewing machine and as sliding ruler holders in my cutting/ironing table. Love it for organizing things in sight.
    Name:  S. wall of craft room.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  1.49 MB

Name:  DSCF4288.JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  1.56 MB
    The open space on the edge of the cutting table has three grooves where three separate peg boards slide out to reveal all my rulers.

Blog Entries
    Where do you buy peg board and the hooks and do they come in different sizes? And about how much are they? Also, How do you hang them on the walls? I have a really small bedroom with no room and I would like to put one of these up on the wall so any advice would be wonderful.. Thanks. I think its a great idea using a pegboard.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

Blog Entries
    I love my pegboard. I found a whole sheet in my neighbors trash. I had just priced it at Lowes. Also they have the hooks. I have seen hooks at the Dollar store but I haven't looked lately. YOu put some 1" strips of board on the wall and hook the pegboard to it. You need the pegboard out from the wall a little bit so you can get the hooks in. I mostly keep my rulers on mine. After looking at the pictures I think I need to add some more in the corner above my sewing space.

I also have a pegboard & I don't know what I would do without it. I hang scissors on it, small rulers, my embroidery hoops etc, etc. I took some decorative card stock strips (from the $$ store) the kind teachers use on their boards & framed the edges of my pegboard just to dress it up a little.
    Dance like no one is watching

If you have a retail shop supply store near you, they're usually the most cost effective for the pegs. Miles ahead of the hardware shops. This is one we have here: http://www.eddies.com

Like everyone else who has posted, I love my pegboards. I use them just like they have mentioned for my notions. One thing I did differently was use small thread spools to mount mine away from the wall for clearance of the metal hooks. Bought my hooks at Lowe's and Wal-Mart.

Emilia and Suz: Thanks for the pictures. Have admired pegboards for years. They seem like a simple answer to an ongoing problem, namely tools lost under piles of debris. What a blessing it would be to just find my scissors.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...78-479531.html

There's a couple of pictures that show my pegboard use. They are so useful. Just wish I had more open wall space so I could hang some more.

I have one whole wall with peg space.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, mountian dew in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. Yea haw what a ride! Suzie Sew

Ksdot: What a lovely studio, designed to use every inch but still maintaining a openness. Thanks for the peak.
    Suzie: I'm not dreaming that big, not that I couldn't fill up a whole wall.

Thank you all for the advice and ideas. Especially love the pictures. I believe I will go ahead with my plan for pegboard. If I ever get the room in some kind of order I will post pictures! This board and its members are the best!
    Barb in Kansas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...78-479531.html

There's a couple of pictures that show my pegboard use. They are so useful. Just wish I had more open wall space so I could hang some more.
    i so agree! I love, love mine! I love using the baskets too. You can see the extra piece that was cut off. I want to use it for thread but only wall space holds family photos. Haven't been able to bring myself to take them down...yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I am in the middle of a reorganization in my craft room right now, but have always had a half sheet of peg board on the wall and hang lots of tools on it. I am sure it will go back up after the room gets a fresh coat of paint. The other half sheet is on the carpet under my chair so it will roll easily. Works better than one of the plastic ones and doesn't slide around on the carpeting.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast