Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Question about peg boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/question-about-peg-boards-t246894.html)

cinson7 05-16-2014 10:21 AM

Question about peg boards

Hello everyone I have question My family went to a sale this past Saturday I was able to buy a full l 4x8 sheet of peg board for $1.00 Not sure how to use it was wanting some suggestions

gale 05-16-2014 10:26 AM

If you have a blank wall you can use it there for lots of storage. Be sure to add some boards behind it (around the edges like a frame on the backside) so it provides room for the hooks. Plus I would paint it. Spray painting is easiest for pegboard but that is a big board and would take a lot of spray paint. Brushing on paint gets it in the holes and then it's a pain to make sure they're all cleared out. Experience speaking here.

Or you can cut it into smaller pegboards. Just don't forget the boards in the back when you hang it.

When I first got pegboard in my room (my old house) it wasn't very easy to find the hangers and other accessories for it. But nowadays they can be found easily and there are a lot of neat options.

Tartan 05-16-2014 11:13 AM

Peg board is sure handy. If you can't find a place for the whole sheet, you can cut it to fit. Think outside the box like the back of your sewing room door, the end of a wooden desk, both side ends of a book shelf .... You do need to put some boards on the back before fastening it to a surface as the hooks need a space behind the pegboard to hand correctly.

tessagin 05-16-2014 11:32 AM

You got a heck of a deal on that pegboard.

Terri D. 05-16-2014 11:54 AM

I use my pegboard to hang cutting mats, rulers, stencils, cutters and other notions. It keeps things within easy reach but off the floor and not squirreled away under a bed or in a drawer.

http://chocolatecakequiltdesigns.wor...4/05/04/sewing-room-makeovertour/

ManiacQuilter2 05-16-2014 11:58 AM

I had pegboard hanging my quilting stencils and all other notions like you see in quilt shops. Haven't yet been able to decide in my new apt where I want to put my pegboard. Go to a hardware store and they will have a section for items to hang your things from the pegboard.

Sewnoma 05-16-2014 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by gale (Post 6718897)
Brushing on paint gets it in the holes and then it's a pain to make sure they're all cleared out. Experience speaking here.

You know what works great for this? Canned air! Makes it kind of fun, even. (I didn't paint pegboard; it was perforated metal but same general idea). Just make sure you're in a spatter-friendly area, lol.

vondae 05-16-2014 09:38 PM

My hubby cut a 4X8 sheet in half, then he spray painted it the color of my choosing, which was a cheery pink color. Then he framed it out and hung it on a wall for me. I love it. I have a limited flat storage space so I use the pegboard for hanging everything from needles to rotary cutters, to painters tape, to measuring tapes. Anything that can be hung on it, will be hung on it. Oh yes, I also hang my rulers on it. I love my pegboard. And, it can be as plain as when you bought it, or you can paint it and decorate is to be a real decor focal point. One of these day, I want to take everything off of mine and paint some flower or something along those line to make it even more festive.

Geri B 05-17-2014 03:38 AM

My work area is the unfinished section of the basement......so the interior dividing wall is just studs. That whole top section is now pegboarded and bottom (like wainscoting height) I had DH put in shelves between the studs. Yes, they are narrow width( the depth of stud- or whatever it is called!) but do hold thread cones,small things quite well....almost 10 yrs and best use of wall space! Cannot beat the pegboard.....everything is in view instantly!

Ellageo 05-17-2014 03:45 AM

Also! go to Building Supply stores or local hardware & look thru all the different pegs they have. So many different kinds, & you can see what will work for all these great ideas you are getting!