Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Record keeping for what you make. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/record-keeping-what-you-make-t304064.html)

Battle Axe 04-08-2019 02:40 AM

Record keeping for what you make.

Does anyone have a favorite printable page to record the specific information on each quilt you complete? Somewhere recently I saw a page that had some small squares at the bottom for attaching snippets of the fabrics used. Now I can't find that.

I'm getting to the age where I'm not remembering things well. So writing it down is the logical step.

I'd like to know:

1. The pattern, where did I get it? $
2. The fabrics, where did I get them? $
3. How difficult was it? Did it become a UFO for a time?
4. Who quilted it? What was the backing? What was the batting? $
5. Disposition of the finished product. Was it sold or gifted $

What other information do you think is necessary?

pocoellie 04-08-2019 04:15 AM

I know that a lot of people do keep a "journal" of quilts they're making or have make, along with pics, but I'm not one of them, if I get a pic, I consider myself lucky. LOL

Bobbielinks 04-08-2019 05:07 AM

There is sure to be a program out there and probably someone on here will share the site with you, I just don't know where it is. That said, I did type up my own information sheet, saved it and can fill in the blanks as needed, then print it off and place it in a sheet protector along with a picture of the quilt. Then the sheet protector goes into a 3 right binder.

Rhonda K 04-08-2019 05:09 AM

I keep one of some sort but not always the same information about each quilt. For machine embroidery, I keep a list of thread colors used for each design. I do have a sheet that has spaces for fabrics too.

There are many ideas out on the net. The ones I liked the best aren't free though. A suggestion is to make a sheet that has the info you want to record.

cashs_mom 04-08-2019 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 8237542)
I know that a lot of people do keep a "journal" of quilts they're making or have make, along with pics, but I'm not one of them, if I get a pic, I consider myself lucky. LOL

Me, too! I do record keeping all day at the office. I'm not doing it for my hobby!

just janet 04-08-2019 06:14 AM

I've been quilting since 1979. In the beginning I kept a journal but never looked back on it. There was always a new quilt in my head that I wanted to try. Now I take a photograph of every quilt or project that I do and I keep them in a photo album. It's fun to look back on it from time to time.

my-ty 04-08-2019 07:06 AM

I use a Word document - one page per project. I standardized a table for the top of each page for information that I wanted to track for each quilt. The rest of the page is blank, so I can insert comments and pictures. I do include lessons learned and things that I would do differently. I am thinking that I might expand to 2 pages per quilt as it is hard to pare down the information to one page.

As a relatively new quilter, I started my log, to track my projects and was surprised to discover the real number of UFOs and how few completes I had. So far, my journal/log exists online but I am hoping to maintain a physical journal with my completes. I love reading through my comments and thoughts about each quilt. It allows me to be proud of my accomplishments and oops.

QuiltE 04-08-2019 09:35 AM

I have a notebook next to the machine.
About all that I record are the settings, foot used, thread, etc. when I am machine quilting.
They're good references when I start with another project, as a starting point,
and avoid some of the frustrations in getting started at it.

Otherwise, I couldn't be so organized to have a detailed journal. :D

Boston1954 04-08-2019 11:01 AM

I take pictures of my quilts when finished, and in progress. I also have a list of the quilts, when they were finished, who I gave them to, how big they are, what I named them, and whether or not they have a label. I enjoy keeping this and going back over it brings me memories.

Battle Axe 04-08-2019 11:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for their comments. This entire journey was initiated by trying to find a snippet of a fabric that I'd like to locate again. But I do need to write down some of these things.

Then my worry free for 4 years phone decided to have a melt down over the weekend. It literally got really hot then quit. Have brand new pink phone Samsung S-10-e. I'm thankful it did not start a fire.