Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Record keeping for what you make.

Blog Entries

Record keeping for what you make.

Does anyone have a favorite printable page to record the specific information on each quilt you complete? Somewhere recently I saw a page that had some small squares at the bottom for attaching snippets of the fabrics used. Now I can't find that.

I'm getting to the age where I'm not remembering things well. So writing it down is the logical step.

I'd like to know:

1. The pattern, where did I get it? $
    2. The fabrics, where did I get them? $
    3. How difficult was it? Did it become a UFO for a time?
    4. Who quilted it? What was the backing? What was the batting? $
    5. Disposition of the finished product. Was it sold or gifted $

What other information do you think is necessary?

I know that a lot of people do keep a "journal" of quilts they're making or have make, along with pics, but I'm not one of them, if I get a pic, I consider myself lucky. LOL

There is sure to be a program out there and probably someone on here will share the site with you, I just don't know where it is. That said, I did type up my own information sheet, saved it and can fill in the blanks as needed, then print it off and place it in a sheet protector along with a picture of the quilt. Then the sheet protector goes into a 3 right binder.

I keep one of some sort but not always the same information about each quilt. For machine embroidery, I keep a list of thread colors used for each design. I do have a sheet that has spaces for fabrics too.

There are many ideas out on the net. The ones I liked the best aren't free though. A suggestion is to make a sheet that has the info you want to record.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    I know that a lot of people do keep a "journal" of quilts they're making or have make, along with pics, but I'm not one of them, if I get a pic, I consider myself lucky. LOL
    Me, too! I do record keeping all day at the office. I'm not doing it for my hobby!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I've been quilting since 1979. In the beginning I kept a journal but never looked back on it. There was always a new quilt in my head that I wanted to try. Now I take a photograph of every quilt or project that I do and I keep them in a photo album. It's fun to look back on it from time to time.

I use a Word document - one page per project. I standardized a table for the top of each page for information that I wanted to track for each quilt. The rest of the page is blank, so I can insert comments and pictures. I do include lessons learned and things that I would do differently. I am thinking that I might expand to 2 pages per quilt as it is hard to pare down the information to one page.

As a relatively new quilter, I started my log, to track my projects and was surprised to discover the real number of UFOs and how few completes I had. So far, my journal/log exists online but I am hoping to maintain a physical journal with my completes. I love reading through my comments and thoughts about each quilt. It allows me to be proud of my accomplishments and oops.

I have a notebook next to the machine.
    About all that I record are the settings, foot used, thread, etc. when I am machine quilting.
    They're good references when I start with another project, as a starting point,
    and avoid some of the frustrations in getting started at it.

Otherwise, I couldn't be so organized to have a detailed journal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I take pictures of my quilts when finished, and in progress. I also have a list of the quilts, when they were finished, who I gave them to, how big they are, what I named them, and whether or not they have a label. I enjoy keeping this and going back over it brings me memories.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. This entire journey was initiated by trying to find a snippet of a fabric that I'd like to locate again. But I do need to write down some of these things.

Then my worry free for 4 years phone decided to have a melt down over the weekend. It literally got really hot then quit. Have brand new pink phone Samsung S-10-e. I'm thankful it did not start a fire.

You could make a basic document using Word or Excel or another program and add to it as you go

DJ
    I don't keep a formal record of all the details, but I post pictures on my blog with a brief description and who the recipient was. What I often wish I had kept is a better record of the fabrics, including information off of the selvage edge and the sku number from the receipt. I so often want more of the fabric for one reason or another.

I keep a journal, but not all the details, I have alot of pictures saved to print out and add to it.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

I used to keep a record but then just lost interest. Sent too many away failing to take a picture first. Tried to ask people to send me pictures with the baby or who ever it was, but it rarely happened. I have started keeping track of quilts I make without a pattern. Since I have written it out, decided I might as well keep the notes. That way I don't need to recreate the wheel if I want to make it again in a different color.

Blog Entries
    After choosing all the fabric for a pattern, cut a 2" square of each fabric.

Get one or two sheets of copy/ looseleaf paper.

Lay the first swatch on the top left side of the paper and sew it to the paper with a basting stitch.

Place the next one below the first and continue sewing each swatch in a column down the left side of the paper.

Write any information you want next to each swatch. The fabric info from the selvage, how much you need, where it goes in the pattern like background or star points or part A, B, C, etc., and how many pieces to cut.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Great suggestion!

Blog Entries
    Agreed, great suggestion to sew them onto a paper. Beats the dreaded staples, pins and losing the sample.

Blog Entries
    Interesting reading the commentary. What you do about record keeping is such a personal matter! I think you could just make up an information sheet of things about the quilt that you feel you might want to know in the future, copy it and keep one for each quilt in a notebook or your computer.

I give most of my quilts away, and have a poor memory, so I decided to keep a scrapbook of my quilts, so I could remember them or share with an interested other quilter. I include pics and notes about the process, unusual problems or interesting discoveries-whatever sticks out in my mind about the quilt, such as what I named it, a pic of the label, samples of the fabrics, names and pics (if possible) of recipients, thanks yous, etc. I am not too technical, so I don't feel the need to give that kind of detail, unless something unusual is involved. I do enjoy reviewing my pics once in a while, when I am ready to remember and re-enjoy my work.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    I take a pic, post it in word and then write all the info under it (including date and who got it - whether it was gift or sold). I have it on the cloud but also copied onto a flash drive that I can take with me for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    Me, too! I do record keeping all day at the office. I'm not doing it for my hobby!
    I did enough office work keeping track of records too - haven't done any quilt record keeping.

I have a list of quilts I made before 2013, I think. Did it in Excel. Since I donate most quilts now I don't keep a pic or put on a list.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Here is a link to a form that the Lost Quilt Come Home website suggests. http://lostquilt.com/qd.pdf
    It is very thorough documentation, including places for photos and fabric samples.

They say to feel free to make copies of it and distribute it freely.

I have just started documenting my quilts because I wanted a way to track show quilts and then decided I'd also like to track the quilts that I make to give to family and friends as well. I did a streamlined version of the Quiltmaker's documentation. Just the information that I couldn't get by looking at the quilt (like batting used, current location of quilt, appraised yes or no, etc.). I did one page for each quilt that is still in my possession. Quilts that have been gifted did not get a page as I don't have enough info on the ones that I remembered to do much more than list them and who they were given to.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Here is a link to a form that the Lost Quilt Come Home website suggests. http://lostquilt.com/qd.pdf ...
    that is quite the comprehensive form. thanks for sharing
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I almost always take pictures of the front and back and maybe a close-up of the quilting, but that's as far as I get with documenting what I've done. When I save the picture I give it a name that is descriptive, usually the pattern name. I make sure the time/date on the phone/camera is correct so that when I look at the picture properties I can figure out when the quilt was made. I'm not prolific enough to have trouble remembering what I did with them - LOL!
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I love the idea of keeping a record but I've never gotten around to actually doing it. I remember when I first started my quilting journey I couldn't wait to document everything. Never happened!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast