Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storage/ on the go/ organized (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storage-go-organized-t233710.html)

peachs 12-24-2013 01:13 PM

i got my sewing machine tote at walmart for $40, i think. we were looking at the ones at joann, but they were about double the price (on sale). i wish my tote's wheels were further out at the edges of the tote, when turning corners or evading cracks it can twist, but it's not bad. and the handle has surprised me and been very strong. my machine is a bernina. i was afraid it'd take a tumble and damage the machine, or the handle would just break and thus render the tote useless. so far, so good... tho i've only had it since oct, i've done a great deal of toting. 2 classes & sewing at the in-laws' house a few saturdays...every trip involves several stair steps and lots of concrete- and grass-travel.

BevF 12-25-2013 06:01 PM

There are a lot of good ideas here. I sometimes spend a lot of time wandering around a store, looking in all departments for items that can be used to meet my needs. (For example: a tackle box for money and stamps; the tool box for paints; a cup for storing brushes.) So, in my mind, the tool chest or a duffle bag might be a good choice. Do consider your tools are an investment and you don't want to loose or break them, therefore, you will want something that will also protect as well as provide easy portability. Browsing on line or via smart phone can help you eliminate travel, but you won't be able to see quality, how it will actually work, and weight. It may take time but you will find a solution.

cowgirl89 01-24-2014 06:52 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I have ended up with a roller tote that was designed for a very large machine. I can fit my machine and some organizers in their. It cost 96$ with coupon. Its is mad by singer. this is not the actual measurements but close. It is like 19inch tall 25 inch long and 18-20inch wide. This also has the extend handle. padded sides bottom and top with a padded tote that's on the inside. 2 inside pockets, 3 outside pockets, and rollers. It has what feels like a durable nylon shell. I found it on the home shopping network. I hope this lasts a long time. Think I might keep my tools in it for storage space since its so large. but will; defently take my machine out to store so it does not bend the bottom. I will try to post a picture some time soon.

tubsfam 01-28-2014 01:27 PM

I'm in Michigan and went to Harbor Frieght were they sell all the manly tools , saws etc... bought a great bag with wells that guys put tools in. It's very sturdy and my machine fits in it just great.There are slots on the walls inside that I put sissors , thread and other stuff i need. Has a pull up handle like a suitcase.Best thing is comes with a second smaller bag.I believe it was under 40 dollars.

Monroe 01-31-2014 12:19 AM

I use my dining room hutch for much of my fabric and gear. I've also seen vintage or hotel armoires retrofitted with fold down tables (a la Murphy bed style) made with hinges so everything is neatly tucked away when necessary. There are companies that make them, but very pricey.

Monroe 01-31-2014 12:24 AM

I had one of the JoAnns tapestry covered sewing machine totes about 6 years ago. The retractable rolling handle broke the second time it was used, and each time it only had some fabric and supplies- no machine! It was a year after the first time, so not returnable. Very flimsy mechanism, was about $50 when on sale.

jcrow 01-31-2014 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 6380548)
It sounds like there is just a problem with keeping everything neat and tidy at the end of the day and not just getting to classes. I don't know what your financial situation is but have you considered something like this? http://www.sauder.com/Sauder/Craft-F...re/158097.aspx
There is quite a bit of storage and two doors to hide everything behind. There are places where you can get something similar for less money. Just be sure and check out how far the doors swing open. I have a computer desk and the doors opened to 45 degrees and not clear back out of the way.

You can buy this same one at Walmart for $299.88. Just type in Saunder Craft Armoire

luvTooQuilt 01-31-2014 07:02 PM

Lots of great suggestions here !!!!