Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storage/ on the go/ organized

Storage/ on the go/ organized

Hello, I have a few questions and welcome all information. I'm 24 and still live at home with my parent so, unfortunately I do not have my own sewing room yet. If I drag all my quilting things out to work on a new quilt then my dad wants me to put it all away before the end of the day no matter if I will be working on it the next day. I have taken a quilting class were I had to take my own things to. My mom has this tote made for scrapbooking things. It was a large tote with wheels on the bottom so, you could pull it. It worked amazing for the 4 classes I had to haul it for. Does anyone know of a place that I could look for one. I checked out joann.com but they had bad reviews of breaking easy. I was thinking I could buy the plastic square organizers to put on the inside. One for fabric and one for tools. Then if their was a side pocket I could slide my rulers into that. And then only have to carry my sewing machine and cutting mat. Any thoughts????

What about if you got a sewing machine trolley and put the plastic containers in there? Or, when I was taking a beading class, I put everything in a wheeled suitcase.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Check out Hancock's or even your local quilt shop. Maybe ask those who attend the quilting class you went to. If you have an office supply store near you they may have what you need. Look on line and figure out what you need. Like Misty's Mom stated also, a large good wheeled suitcase. Also remember (and maybe you already have one), you can easily make your own portable design wall with skirt hangers and flannel backed table cloths. Good luck! Hope you find what you need and like!

Blog Entries
    http://www.joann.com/iris-scrapbooki...8&prefv1=false If I was in your position I would look at something like this storage cabinet on wheels with removable plastic project boxes. Roll out to work on - roll back into your bedroom to store.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I am sorry that you have to put things away each evening - I had to do the same and it drove me crazy. My first chance at a sewing space I grabbed it.

Not sure where you are located but a few members have mentioned they have obtained something similar from Harbor Freight - I have one from Joann's that I got when it was on clearance for my traveling machine and it has been great for over 5 years. When I got my Janome I bought a large Tuttoo tote on wheels. It was a LOT more expensive but works very well with lots of room. They have even larger ones now and wish I had one, but due to the price I will stay happy with what I have.

Several of the ladies in the guild I went to used the crates on wheels they got at Office Depot or Staples.

One thing about quilters, we find a way to make things work.

I did buy a large plastic 3 drawers and slid it into my closet for fabric to be held in. Mistys mom- is their a brand you recommend? Tessagin- my local shop carry just fabric and thread. I can travel about 45 min to another but they don't have any either. I have not heard of the skirt hanger and flannel. Could you please give me some more details on this?? Paulswalia- I do like the moveable trays it would fit next to the drawers in the closet. Since I keep into my room, I like to call it space saving. Quiltingcandy- I'm glad to here that I'm not alone with putting it all away. I tried to look up this tuttoo tot but i can find anything. Google keeps bringing up tutu bags. Is their any other names? We do defently make things work.

The trolley I have is a tutto sewing machine tote with wheels. I got mine from my dealer, but you can also order them online. Good luck I know it cuts into your sewing time to have to get everything out then put it back.

Here is the website for Tutto: http://www.tuttocases.com/

They are pricey but made for full sized machines.

I've had issues with durability in carts. Some stronger totes can be found at hardware supplies for tools and fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    http://www.joann.com/iris-scrapbooki...8&prefv1=false If I was in your position I would look at something like this storage cabinet on wheels with removable plastic project boxes. Roll out to work on - roll back into your bedroom to store.
    Looked at the site. Looks interesting. It was out of stock.

Love my Tutto bag. Bought it 10+ years ago. Wish I had the bigger one. It is great for hauling around your machine.

Hutnif what you are looking for is organization for moving back and forth there at home, the drawer unit posted by Paulswalia is a great idea. You could see what you have, and not have to dig to the bottom of a bin to find it.

Michaels has scrap booking wheeled cases. They are not too pricey. I know someone who uses it for toting her machine as well but not often, not sure it will hold up for that. I think that the plastic cases are made to fit these. Have fun sewing. My 25 year old son still lives home so I don't have a sewing room either. LOL

During winter months, I sew in our bedroom & have to keep things compact & picked up! I store fabric & supplies in long plastic containers that fit under the beds. I use stackable plastic containers for other quilting things, magazines & etc. I purchased a wheeled tote with slide up handle to take my machine back & forth. I have room to set my machine in & pack accessories box, cords, pin cushion & extra fabric & stuff around machine. There are side pockets for cutters, scissors & large front pocket. I store rest of stuff in tote & set on top of zippered case & wheel it along.

Blog Entries
    You can also find the wheeled type cases/carts at office supply stores. They're pretty basic, but depends on what you want.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

It sounds like there is just a problem with keeping everything neat and tidy at the end of the day and not just getting to classes. I don't know what your financial situation is but have you considered something like this? http://www.sauder.com/Sauder/Craft-F...re/158097.aspx
    There is quite a bit of storage and two doors to hide everything behind. There are places where you can get something similar for less money. Just be sure and check out how far the doors swing open. I have a computer desk and the doors opened to 45 degrees and not clear back out of the way.

I have one of the large scrapbooking totes like your Mom's. I think it came from Michael's and I really like it. I know some people found they broke theirs but so far mine is great. I pack it to the brim when going on retreat, but I do not use it for my machine. I store it back in it's box when not in use. I usually just carry my machine, but I have used the old fashioned suitcase trollies when at a conference where we had to take our machines to different buildings throughout the day. Might find them at a 2nd hand store for low cost. This is similar to my luggage carrier wheels. https://www.google.ca/search?q=suitc...hp%3B325%3B269

Blog Entries
    I use those square fold ups that WalMart sells for $19.97 in the office supplies department. My machine fits inside one with extra room for an extension cord and/or iron. For my tools I use a Tool Bag with a shoulder strap (it has several pockets inside and out for holding tools). I keep projects I am working on in 2-gallon Ziploc Freezer bags, they are very strong and can be used repeatedly. The 2-gallon bags are large enough for entire projects and are tall enough to hold instructions/magazines, keeping each project together (I was misplacing magazines/instructions before). Lowes has some great items to hold small sewing necessities.
    Last edited by Aurora; 11-01-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Stanley Tools makes a great rolling tool box (Lowes or Home Depot) with an upper compartment for tools and a lower bin that would hold fabric, WIP, etc. $34.98 online. They make another for $79. Here is a link.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_391726-82673...box&facetInfo=
    Shirley in Arizona

Blog Entries
    You might want to look at wheeled toolboxes Home Depot has Stanley's Fat Max--I understand they come in different sizes. I love my Fat Max, but you have to watch how much fabric you pack in it because of the weight when loading it into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    It sounds like there is just a problem with keeping everything neat and tidy at the end of the day and not just getting to classes. I don't know what your financial situation is but have you considered something like this? http://www.sauder.com/Sauder/Craft-F...re/158097.aspx
    There is quite a bit of storage and two doors to hide everything behind. There are places where you can get something similar for less money. Just be sure and check out how far the doors swing open. I have a computer desk and the doors opened to 45 degrees and not clear back out of the way.
    Wow - I hadn't seen anything like that as reasonable as that one. Great idea.

I don't know where you live, but check out a Costco or Sams Club or someother big box store as they sometimes carry a heavy duty foldable box on wheels and with a telescoping handle........best wishes looking for your storage/carry all.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed! 🌷

I purchased a good-sized square one with wheels at Target. They still sell them for about $30.00. I covered it in pillow ticking and made pickets so I could store tools in them during the classes. Folks always ask where I got it.

Blog Entries
    I purchased two large wheeled tote suitcases to haul my stuff around in. Sewing machine fits in there too. Of course you could get a small wheeled tote for your machine so it is protected and get a larger one for all your rulers, tools and fabric. Lots cheaper than getting the ones for machines. they are pretty good as far as holding up too. Anytime they get used for airline travel mine have held up good.

I Have a scrap booking case that sounds like your Moms I got it at hobby lobby. I also purchased a case with wheels that I got at Joanns for my sewing machine, It's large enough for my other supplies to go in when I go to classes. It has several compartments on the inside as well as the outside. Hope this helps.

I've tried many things over the years for taking everything needed to class. The best thing I've found is the Gotta Have It Bag at allbrands.com. There are two pieces to it, it's on wheels, and it has many pockets with zippers. It holds my machine, but you could use that big space to hold your quilt top in progress. I also use a multi-drawer fisherman's case for notions storage and always have whatever I might need. Check at Lowe's and Home Depot in the tool area for other containers with drawers and on wheels.

Get a vinyl tablecloth with flannel backing and some skirt hangers, the kind with two metal clips. You might need several hangers. Using the flannel side, put your blocks on it for a design wall and hang it up somewhere. You can roll it up when you need to and the pieces will stay put.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast