Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Storage/ on the go/ organized

look for old suitcases in yard sale, goodwill, etc. I got rid of my ldg suitcase cuz too much for me when packed. But this might work. I like the idea of the storage containers on wheels too. Check out the container store too.Walmarts have folding tables of various sizes and they also have quilting supplies online. The tables are in the store.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

this might work " 30" Extra Large Rolling Duffle Bag Traveling Luggage Duffel Bag" from amazon.com or look for rolling backpacks or bookbags; I used one back in the days of nursing school do to having to carry so many large nsg books. Hope you find what you need. I had to do the whole put away and take out my supplies for a very long time and it's a pain in the butt.

I got my "sewing machine tote" at Harbor Freight. It's actually a tool bag on wheels. It has 6 pockets on the inside, and 2 zipper pockets on the outside. Because it's a tool bag made for carrying heavy metal tools, I think it's more durable than many of the machine totes. Also, last year Wal-Mart had sewing machine totes in their "Black Friday" sale for half-price. Since it's rapidly getting to be Black Friday time again, you might want to watch JoAnn's or Hancock's for specials they'll have. Hope this helps! :c)

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

Thank You everyone for all the help and information. Looks like I have a lot of looking into do now.

i use a large softsided insulated cooler on wheels. found it at big lots and it has held up well. i first used it on the job, it got wheeled thru gravel parking lots, thrown on the crew boats and dragged over the barges. no rips and it still wheels well. used it at work for about 8 months before it came to by sewing.

Another part of the quilt board showed a member who purchased a rolling tool box combo. Heavy duty plastic, with loads of cubbies for the small things we need, room in the bottom for the sewing machine, and all hooked together and could be rolled around on the 2 rear wheels. Lowes or Home Depot (or Wallyworld, too, probably) would have these. If your parent was looking for gift ideas for Christmas, that's what I'd be mentioning! Your dad would probably love the idea of you using something like that, too!

Blog Entries
    Cowgirl, you have received lots of good advice. If you think you will be on your own sometime soon, I would not spend too much time or money on things that only fit your space now. If you are sewing in the dining room, ask if you can buy a wicker hamper or storage ottoman to keep in the dining room. Then you can store your current project, tools etc. in the work space and just move the sewing machine. I found a sewing desk on craigslist that is on wheels and I push it out in the dining room when I want to sew with more space and light.
    Just my 2 cents and probably not worth that much but I ALWAYS have an opinion!

Blog Entries
    Some of us buy second hand suitcases, shopping troll lies or dog strollers to pack machine and equipment in.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Go rent a two bedroom apartment! Problem solved!

I am not trying to be snarky but one reason I put sewing on my back burner had to do with always having to put my stuff away. Having a dedicated space is ideal. In the meantime, i would get a plastic tote on wheels. You can stack a lot of stuff into them. Cheap plastic shoe boxes are great for stacking. We all look for solutions to our organization challenges. It is ongoing! Good luck and KEEP SEWING! We need more of you to be sewing!!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Besides looking at Joann's and Harbor Freight, watch your local resale shops and Craigslist. I've been lucky to find a couple at resale shops.

Nan - IN
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

that's a great idea! try also Hobby Lobby.

Blog Entries
    I will tell you what I bought for myself with the money I had gotten last year for Christmas. I was looking for those Craftsman type toolboxes and I finally found one at the right price. Only $80. Black with silver handles and drawer handles. It is large enough that I could put a sewing machine in the bottom part if I wanted to. I have all my rulers hanging on the side, all my walking feet in one of the drawers, various other notions in the other drawers, one especially for my screwdrivers and small wrenches. You could put fabric in the larger drawers if you don't have much stash, same with the thread and bobbins. When I get a chance I will take a picture and post it. It has 4 large wheels so I can move it whereever I need it.

Also keep in mind what kind of machine you have. My Bernina is very heavy and the wheeled sewing cases at Joanns and Harbor freight just didn't have strong enough handles or wheels for this machine. I returned both and finally bit the bullet and bought a 3 piece set from a local sewing shop. It was $195 and came with a large heavy duty roller bag, a shoulder bag to hold fabric and supplies and a large flat zippered bag to hold a large cutting mat. I can't see the brand on the bag but if you are interested I'll call and find out the brand.

I am also a scrapbooker and have found the Crop n style wheeled tote to be very durable. They come in different sizes. There are many knock off brands that aren't nearly as strong. I would check Craigs list as I have seen many of these in my area for a very reasonable price, seems as though scrapbooking is a past fad for many and people are trying to rid themselves of supplies.
    Last edited by mom2boyz; 12-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Go to SewVacDirect.com they have a variety of trolleys!!!

If you can afford it buy a bag with wheels that turn 360 degrees. Otherwise the bag tips and twists and can be very heavy. You can buy small suitcases that are really lite and half wheels that spin 360.

i got my sewing machine tote at walmart for $40, i think. we were looking at the ones at joann, but they were about double the price (on sale). i wish my tote's wheels were further out at the edges of the tote, when turning corners or evading cracks it can twist, but it's not bad. and the handle has surprised me and been very strong. my machine is a bernina. i was afraid it'd take a tumble and damage the machine, or the handle would just break and thus render the tote useless. so far, so good... tho i've only had it since oct, i've done a great deal of toting. 2 classes & sewing at the in-laws' house a few saturdays...every trip involves several stair steps and lots of concrete- and grass-travel.

There are a lot of good ideas here. I sometimes spend a lot of time wandering around a store, looking in all departments for items that can be used to meet my needs. (For example: a tackle box for money and stamps; the tool box for paints; a cup for storing brushes.) So, in my mind, the tool chest or a duffle bag might be a good choice. Do consider your tools are an investment and you don't want to loose or break them, therefore, you will want something that will also protect as well as provide easy portability. Browsing on line or via smart phone can help you eliminate travel, but you won't be able to see quality, how it will actually work, and weight. It may take time but you will find a solution.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have ended up with a roller tote that was designed for a very large machine. I can fit my machine and some organizers in their. It cost 96$ with coupon. Its is mad by singer. this is not the actual measurements but close. It is like 19inch tall 25 inch long and 18-20inch wide. This also has the extend handle. padded sides bottom and top with a padded tote that's on the inside. 2 inside pockets, 3 outside pockets, and rollers. It has what feels like a durable nylon shell. I found it on the home shopping network. I hope this lasts a long time. Think I might keep my tools in it for storage space since its so large. but will; defently take my machine out to store so it does not bend the bottom. I will try to post a picture some time soon.

I'm in Michigan and went to Harbor Frieght were they sell all the manly tools , saws etc... bought a great bag with wells that guys put tools in. It's very sturdy and my machine fits in it just great.There are slots on the walls inside that I put sissors , thread and other stuff i need. Has a pull up handle like a suitcase.Best thing is comes with a second smaller bag.I believe it was under 40 dollars.

I use my dining room hutch for much of my fabric and gear. I've also seen vintage or hotel armoires retrofitted with fold down tables (a la Murphy bed style) made with hinges so everything is neatly tucked away when necessary. There are companies that make them, but very pricey.

I had one of the JoAnns tapestry covered sewing machine totes about 6 years ago. The retractable rolling handle broke the second time it was used, and each time it only had some fabric and supplies- no machine! It was a year after the first time, so not returnable. Very flimsy mechanism, was about $50 when on sale.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    It sounds like there is just a problem with keeping everything neat and tidy at the end of the day and not just getting to classes. I don't know what your financial situation is but have you considered something like this? http://www.sauder.com/Sauder/Craft-F...re/158097.aspx
    There is quite a bit of storage and two doors to hide everything behind. There are places where you can get something similar for less money. Just be sure and check out how far the doors swing open. I have a computer desk and the doors opened to 45 degrees and not clear back out of the way.
    You can buy this same one at Walmart for $299.88. Just type in Saunder Craft Armoire
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Lots of great suggestions here !!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2