Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing the Scraps...Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-scraps-ideas-t215277.html)

RkayD 03-15-2013 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I too have a stash that must be tended to. In lots of ways that disturbs me because it takes up time and space and costs money to maintain. I got to thinking this past year when Hub traded me rooms and I had to move ALL THAT STUFF...that I most certainly am doing it wrong. I'm not sewing near fast enough..My goal this next year is to use up as much as possible. In the mean time....we're doing it this way...

Pilgrim 03-15-2013 08:57 PM

My scraps are in shoe to sweater size clear boxes sorted by size. Strips by size and then squares by size. Then I just pull out the size I am looking for and start sewing.

bunniequilter 03-22-2013 04:15 AM

I toss scraps into a basket and once full i go thru them and recut into different sizes and shapes i.e logs for a log cabin, squares of HST etc. I hang all my strips. I thread as many as I can onto a large safety pin then put the closed safety pin onto a metal shower curtain hook and hang the whole thing. Makes it easy to flip thru them when looking for a specific strip.

tropit 03-24-2013 05:21 PM

Wow! I was sidetracked for awhile and just came back to check up on my post. Thank you to everyone! There's so many good ideas out there! I'm leaning towards the clear, plastic shoeboxes. What I SHOULD do is just sew them up, but that's another project on my very full plate. ~ C.

Retired Nurse 04-03-2013 07:30 AM

I have mine cut and stored in plastic shoebox size containers. 2X 6 strips, 5 x 5, 2 x 2 and 3 1/2 x 3/12 sqsuares. As I finish a quilt I cut the scraps. It took me 3 days to get all of my scraps cut initially. I am trying very hard to stay current. Now just to get enough scappy squares to make another quilt.

tuckyquilter 04-03-2013 10:25 PM

I cut and store scraps in clear plastic bags, then put them in a plastic bin that is only about 7x23x16 inches in size. I don't go smaller than 2 inch sq's. Plus I have a bunch of folks who give me their scraps, which I also cut into useable sizes. I don't let my scraps get out of hand as it becomes to messy. When the plastic bin is full I make quilts until it's almost empty. My stash of fabric is quite limited compared to most. Those 16x16 in plastic scrapbooking bins are great for holding projects in progress. I have photo's of my bins in my photo album. Take a look.

TeresaS 04-03-2013 11:05 PM

I put all of mine in a Victoria secret bag. When it overflows I push it down real hard. Then when full I put in a rubber maid drawer. I am awful with scrapes.

lisalisa 04-04-2013 11:17 PM

Everything I own is someone else's scraps. Even the yards. The way I work it is to "bolt" and store the yardage pieces on the shelf. I don't have many so they're all together.

All of the smaller but still big-ish pieces and FQ's are sorted by color in plastic bins. Once I go into a project the little unusable bits go into a jar, everything else goes into a big bin under the table. Every once in a while I go through, sort it out by color and bag it up. Any bigger pieces go back to the color bins. Cutting the smaller ones down to strips takes too much time. I cross that bridge when/if I get there.