Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing the Scraps...Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-scraps-ideas-t215277.html)

tropit 03-02-2013 01:43 PM

Storing the Scraps...Ideas?

OK, to all of you that have those fabulous stashes stored on boards...I'm totally envious. Personally, I just don't have that much yardage. But, what I do have is a lot of scraps. Big ones (1/8 yds.,) to little ones (1" squares,) they're flying all over the place and getting mixed up. I'm planning on making a scrappy quilt, but there's 3 others ahead of that project. In the meain time, are there any ideas on storing the scraps?

THANKS!

Tartan 03-02-2013 03:02 PM

Sorry my scrap storage is just to stuff them into one of the drawers in my plastic rolling cart. Once I can no longer close the drawer, I make a scrap quilt.:D

JenniePenny 03-02-2013 03:27 PM

I use old fashioned tin kitchen canisters to hold different sizes.

quiltingdragon 03-02-2013 03:41 PM

For the bigger pieces, I use Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system - once it it less than 6" wide, it gets cut down into strips - 5", 4.5", 4", 3.5, 2.5", 2' and 1.5" - short pieces get cut into squares of those sizes. Anything smaller than a fq gets folded by color in a plastic drawer, and I go there first for small projects.

TinkerQuilts 03-02-2013 03:42 PM

I use zip lock bags for the small scraps, and write the approximate size on the bag with a black Sharpie. Then I put the bags in a bin.

QuiltFaerie 03-02-2013 03:45 PM

Go out to www.quiltville.com and read Bonnie Hunter's information on what to do with scraps (Scrap Users System). I have some cut up and ready to go but more just stuffed into plastic bags. I have a big Rubbermaid Tub that I use for my bits and pieces. Some are larger than others.

I am not the most organized of people though. I swear that my scraps all breed the minute I walk out of the house. There always seems to be more when I walk back into the room. How else can it be explained? :p

Old_Rosebud 03-02-2013 06:01 PM

Scraps absolutely do reproduce - just like dirty laundry! :) I found a book this fall called Cut the Scraps by Joan Ford. She recommends cutting any scraps into 5", 3 1/2" and 2" squares. Then I sort according to size and color (dark, light, etc.) in plastic containers. I don't have my sewing area totally clear but its much better! I will have to look into the Bonnie Hunter info listed above.

mighty 03-02-2013 06:04 PM

Bonnie Hunters way is really awesome!

deedum 03-02-2013 07:44 PM

well I did that, I cut a bunch of scraps into many diffrent sizes. Now I created a MONSTER! I have scraps everywhere, I can't keep up with them. I have rolling cart where I keep pieces smaller than a fat quarters. I also have small pieces in baskets, when the sraps gets too small, they go in a large wastebasket for doggie bed material. I like the idea of putting pieces in ziploc bags, but isn't that hard on the material?

Mariposa 03-02-2013 07:59 PM

I keep mine in plastic bins (totes) according to size: 1.25", 1.5", 2.5", etc. so they are sorted and ready to go.
Do check out Bonnie Hunter's site www.quiltville.com She has great storage ideas, and lots of fun patterns!