Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing Strings Like Jelly Rolls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-strings-like-jelly-rolls-t308228.html)

zozee 11-23-2019 07:22 PM

Storing Strings Like Jelly Rolls

3 Attachment(s)
This system might not be new to you, but it's the first time it occurred to me to try to store my strings differently. At one time, I had them neatly stacked in random groups and clipped together with Wonder clips, stored in an Art Bin. But it took 2 clips to keep the stacks together, and even then they shifted a lot whenever I moved the bin. A neat mess is still a mess.

This evening I burned 6 calories coming up with (what I hope proves to be) a better method.

1. Stack strings in your hand, keeping the longest one on top, facing you. Do your best to keep the left edge of all of them lined up. Stacks can vary in size, as long as a clip fits on the stack.
2. Roll the stack like a jelly roll. The longest one (the top one) will wrap all the way around the stack to keep the shorties tucked in.
3. Clip a Wonder clip to the roll and place it in your storage container.

(I rolled all my whites together because I may want to use them as center strips throughout a quilt. Other than that, my strings were random.)

Advantages:
1. Rolling them gives a fun look from the side , like a jelly roll does.
2. Rolling takes up less space and half as many clips as stacking, and should stay tidy.
3. See at a glance what you have.
4. When you're in the mood to sew strings, just grab a roll and go. You're not overwhelmed by the decision of a whole pile or bag or scraps, and they shouldn't need to be pressed again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620127[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620129[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620128[/ATTACH]

Tartan 11-23-2019 07:45 PM

​Cute bundles! I wonder if you could also wind them on a pool noodle and secure with a pin into the noodle.

Bobbinalong 11-24-2019 01:43 AM

This is a great idea that I may hijack for my 1.5", 2" and "2.5" strips which are currently laid into plastic shoe boxes.

My strings are all less than 1.5" though and are dropped into a tote under my cutting table, triangles go into a bag ready for 'corners' of QAYG blocks. I may give it a try to roll these but I'm not sure I would keep it up though. What are the smallest pieces you keep zozee? I keep short strings for 3" wide 'adding machine paper' piecing and pieces shorter than that I keep for ................. well, I'm sure I'll think of something :D

QuiltnNan 11-24-2019 03:44 AM

thanks for sharing your organization method

SusieQOH 11-24-2019 04:39 AM

I like this!! Mine are all jumbled up.
But only 6 calories? I'm disappointed :D :D

juliasb 11-24-2019 05:16 AM

Currently mine are one big mess! They are all in a scrap bin. As part of the cold snowy weather plans for the winter this would be a great thing to sit down and take care of. I love this idea and the noodle might work too for all the different widths that I have.

ckcowl 11-24-2019 05:55 AM

Great idea. I’ve been tossing strips into a basket as I cut them, or they are left from my current project. It’s definitely a mess. I may set aside some time today to roll a few bundles. Thanks for the ( push) to organize

sewbizgirl 11-24-2019 05:56 AM

Nice and tidy, Zo...

I fold mine like ribbon candy, the length of a plastic stacking drawer, then stack them on their sides in the drawer. I can see what I have pretty well that way.

zozee 11-24-2019 07:46 AM

Me too. Mental calories oughta count. Is there an app for that?

zozee 11-24-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8331824)
Nice and tidy, Zo...

I fold mine like ribbon candy, the length of a plastic stacking drawer, then stack them on their sides in the drawer. I can see what I have pretty well that way.

Smart idea. They stay uncreased that way.