Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Storing Strings Like Jelly Rolls

Storing Strings Like Jelly Rolls

This system might not be new to you, but it's the first time it occurred to me to try to store my strings differently. At one time, I had them neatly stacked in random groups and clipped together with Wonder clips, stored in an Art Bin. But it took 2 clips to keep the stacks together, and even then they shifted a lot whenever I moved the bin. A neat mess is still a mess.

This evening I burned 6 calories coming up with (what I hope proves to be) a better method.

1. Stack strings in your hand, keeping the longest one on top, facing you. Do your best to keep the left edge of all of them lined up. Stacks can vary in size, as long as a clip fits on the stack.
    2. Roll the stack like a jelly roll. The longest one (the top one) will wrap all the way around the stack to keep the shorties tucked in.
    3. Clip a Wonder clip to the roll and place it in your storage container.

(I rolled all my whites together because I may want to use them as center strips throughout a quilt. Other than that, my strings were random.)

Advantages:
    1. Rolling them gives a fun look from the side , like a jelly roll does.
    2. Rolling takes up less space and half as many clips as stacking, and should stay tidy.
    3. See at a glance what you have.
    4. When you're in the mood to sew strings, just grab a roll and go. You're not overwhelmed by the decision of a whole pile or bag or scraps, and they shouldn't need to be pressed again.

Name:  IMG-9539-compressed.JPG
Views: 842
Size:  41.4 KBName:  IMG-9541-compressed.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  12.0 KBName:  FullSizeRender-compressed.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  7.5 KB

Power Poster
    ​Cute bundles! I wonder if you could also wind them on a pool noodle and secure with a pin into the noodle.

This is a great idea that I may hijack for my 1.5", 2" and "2.5" strips which are currently laid into plastic shoe boxes.

My strings are all less than 1.5" though and are dropped into a tote under my cutting table, triangles go into a bag ready for 'corners' of QAYG blocks. I may give it a try to roll these but I'm not sure I would keep it up though. What are the smallest pieces you keep zozee? I keep short strings for 3" wide 'adding machine paper' piecing and pieces shorter than that I keep for ................. well, I'm sure I'll think of something
    Singer Featherweight 221, Janome MC 4800, Janome Horizon 8900QCP Special Edition

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing your organization method
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I like this!! Mine are all jumbled up.
    But only 6 calories? I'm disappointed

Blog Entries
    Currently mine are one big mess! They are all in a scrap bin. As part of the cold snowy weather plans for the winter this would be a great thing to sit down and take care of. I love this idea and the noodle might work too for all the different widths that I have.

Blog Entries
    Great idea. I’ve been tossing strips into a basket as I cut them, or they are left from my current project. It’s definitely a mess. I may set aside some time today to roll a few bundles. Thanks for the ( push) to organize
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Nice and tidy, Zo...

I fold mine like ribbon candy, the length of a plastic stacking drawer, then stack them on their sides in the drawer. I can see what I have pretty well that way.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Me too. Mental calories oughta count. Is there an app for that?

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Nice and tidy, Zo...

I fold mine like ribbon candy, the length of a plastic stacking drawer, then stack them on their sides in the drawer. I can see what I have pretty well that way.
    Smart idea. They stay uncreased that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Great idea. I’ve been tossing strips into a basket as I cut them, or they are left from my current project. It’s definitely a mess. I may set aside some time today to roll a few bundles. Thanks for the ( push) to organize
    Make stacks of strings as you cut out your current project while the fabric is still ironed and roll as soon as that stack is about 1/2 in thick.. I promise it’s a lot less work than re-ironing later.

What a fantastic idea and thank you so much for sharing your creative organization way. Now when you have a few minutes you can just go and sew a few strings together and before you know it you have a block. Thanks so much

Blog Entries
    Great tip Zozee and SBG...thank you for posting.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I hang mine on the velvet scarf hangers. They never fall off. I can get dozens on one hanger.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
    This is a great idea that I may hijack for my 1.5", 2" and "2.5" strips which are currently laid into plastic shoe boxes.

My strings are all less than 1.5" though and are dropped into a tote under my cutting table, triangles go into a bag ready for 'corners' of QAYG blocks. I may give it a try to roll these but I'm not sure I would keep it up though. What are the smallest pieces you keep zozee? I keep short strings for 3" wide 'adding machine paper' piecing and pieces shorter than that I keep for ................. well, I'm sure I'll think of something
    The smallest I keep these days is 2x2, but not for long. I'm trying to sew up the ones I have into 4-patches (as the mood strikes) but really have little tolerance for little pieces. I save crumbs (which, to me, are any size I'm tired of that'll fit into a snack size ziploc bag) but when the bag is full, I give them away. Same for selvages and strings I'm "done with" psychologically. I keep charms and scraps about that size or larger, plus strings at least 1.5 x 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I hang mine on the velvet scarf hangers. They never fall off. I can get dozens on one hanger.
    They don't slide off each other, huh? What size are your strings?

Blog Entries
    Great idea, zo..thanks for sharing.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

This is the kind of mindless work that pays off later. You could do it while watching TV or listening to a book.

Great ideas. I am going to start on sewing them together to make blocks. After Thanksgiving.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I do the same thing except I sort mine into color groups and don't lay them on their sides but upright if that makes sense. I use Sterilite 6 qt plastic containers to store them in.
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    I do the same thing except I sort mine into color groups and don't lay them on their sides but upright if that makes sense. I use Sterilite 6 qt plastic containers to store them in.
    Yes, that makes sense. I thought about doing it that way. Do you clip yours together? At one time I tried to keep my strings grouped by colors, but then realized I'm not going to make a monochromatic string quilt, so it's easier to keep bundles of assorted colors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. I thought about doing it that way. Do you clip yours together? At one time I tried to keep my strings grouped by colors, but then realized I'm not going to make a monochromatic string quilt, so it's easier to keep bundles of assorted colors.
    No, I don't clip together, just roll 'em up and place them in container like you would rolls in a pan. They hold each other together. I do have rolls of different colors in same box because right now I don't have enough strips cut to have all one color in one box. I have enough scraps to make boxes of jelly rolls but haven't taken the time to do it.
    Last edited by misseva; 11-25-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    TwandasMom