View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 07:22 PM
zozee

Default Storing Strings Like Jelly Rolls

This system might not be new to you, but it's the first time it occurred to me to try to store my strings differently. At one time, I had them neatly stacked in random groups and clipped together with Wonder clips, stored in an Art Bin. But it took 2 clips to keep the stacks together, and even then they shifted a lot whenever I moved the bin. A neat mess is still a mess.

This evening I burned 6 calories coming up with (what I hope proves to be) a better method.

1. Stack strings in your hand, keeping the longest one on top, facing you. Do your best to keep the left edge of all of them lined up. Stacks can vary in size, as long as a clip fits on the stack.
2. Roll the stack like a jelly roll. The longest one (the top one) will wrap all the way around the stack to keep the shorties tucked in.
3. Clip a Wonder clip to the roll and place it in your storage container.

(I rolled all my whites together because I may want to use them as center strips throughout a quilt. Other than that, my strings were random.)

Advantages:
1. Rolling them gives a fun look from the side , like a jelly roll does.
2. Rolling takes up less space and half as many clips as stacking, and should stay tidy.
3. See at a glance what you have.
4. When you're in the mood to sew strings, just grab a roll and go. You're not overwhelmed by the decision of a whole pile or bag or scraps, and they shouldn't need to be pressed again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620127[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620129[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620128[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img-9539-compressed.jpg   fullsizerender-compressed.jpg   img-9541-compressed.jpg