Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Telling Bobbins Apart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/telling-bobbins-apart-t251650.html)

DOTTYMO 08-12-2014 11:47 PM

I had this problem until I thought of old pipe cleaners. I thread through the centres and then twist to stop sliding off by each machine. The pipe cleaner with metal thread inside is the easiest to use.

ManiacQuilter2 08-16-2014 01:46 PM

WOW, I guess I am lucky. I have two Bernina and they both use the same bobbins.

redtweety 08-20-2014 01:28 PM

I have fishing/craft cases for my bobbins for each machine with the machine name on case. I use hair ties for keepin thread on bobbins. I also have travel cases for machines that bobbin cases fit into. Nice to have everything fit for quick grab and go.

tenngal 08-21-2014 11:38 AM

bobbins

Wow, I'm so glad you asked this question - what great replies!

bearisgray 08-22-2014 08:17 AM

I wish the bobbins had some sort of mark on them stating what they are.

(Not what machines they are for - what the bobbin size/style is - such as Class 15, Class 15A, Class 66, etc)

franc36 08-31-2014 06:23 PM

I keep my bobbins in the doughnut holders kept by the machine. I have only one holder for my Featherweight; but I have 3 holders for my Bernina. One holds my quilting thread bobbins, one holds my garment sewing bobbins, and the third holds empty bobbins. The bobbins look different enough that I would not get them confused.

quiltingbuddy 09-01-2014 07:12 PM

I use the little white circles that are actually for reinforcing 3 ring binder holes in paper. I can label them with any pen/pencil I have handy. I like them because they only cover up the end of the bobbin (and I can tuck my thread in them so the bobbin doesn't unravel) so I can still see the thread color. The only thing to remember when using these is to touch the sticky side to my pants a couple of times before putting one on for the first time because they are pretty sticky.

Jan in VA 10-25-2014 12:03 PM

Because I have all Berninas (1031, vintage 830, vintage 807) I'm thrilled I can use all Bernina bobbins; had never thought about having to keep various machines' bobbins straight. :rolleyes: :)

My biggest problem is keeping different threads on bobbins separated out. Yeah, I have bobbin buddies to attach them to the spool the thread came from, but that doesn't always work and they come apart. :eek:

Jan in VA

4dogs 10-25-2014 11:11 PM

I have ( oh my ) 9 machines.........all different of course.......so all different bobbins..........I keep my bobbins in those little pill boxes from the drug store.......the ones that have all the days of the week on them...and on the side of each of those boxes, I have written the machine that it goes with.......and all the bobbins for each machine go only into their individually marked boxes............these boxes are good, they keep the bobbins all separated and they don't be rolling around and unwrapping themselves -
I too was wondering how to tell if a bobbin will fit a machine without trying it out on the machine itself )could damage that).......I inherited a big bag full of older ones and am not sure about how to use them............suggestions????

mamagrande 11-04-2014 09:22 PM

I have a little sandwich boxes with name and model numbers on the lid for each machine, I have six. I keep attachments and bobbins in them and keep it with each machine. when I use a machine I pick up the attachment box and I always have the proper bobbins.