Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Telling Bobbins Apart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/telling-bobbins-apart-t251650.html)

n10sgrrl 08-10-2014 03:26 PM

Telling Bobbins Apart

I have 3 machines, a Featherweight, a Janome 1600p, and a Bernina 830 Record. They each use a different size metal bobbin but the bobbins look very similar. I don't have many bobbins, 5 - 10 per machine. Any tips or suggestions for making sure I don't mix up the bobbins and put one in the wrong machine? Does any one mark bobbins - like with a dot fingernail polish or a marker?

ckcowl 08-10-2014 03:33 PM

You could color code them, or you could pick up 3 of those bobbin donuts each a different color to hold them. I have 3 machines with different bobbins, mine are kept in a small square tin (each machine has its own tin) and I keep the bobbins with the machine tools,notions,and manual all together. Which ever machine I am going to use has everything for that machine together.

quiltingcandy 08-10-2014 03:33 PM

The FW bobbins are easy to spot - they are much thinner than the other bobbins. I keep all of my bobbins separated with the machines they go with. But the 15-91 bobbins are metal and my Janome bobbins are plastic. I can't imagine putting a dab of paint or fingernail polish would harm a bobbin.

Nammie to 7 08-10-2014 07:28 PM

I have two machines -- I keep the bobbins in separate areas, in labeled pencil boxes. Love this time of year -- need to go school shopping to pick up unusual pencil boxes. I always find a use for them.

kyquiltlover1942 08-11-2014 05:32 AM

I used my paint pins to mark each machine a different color. Even the ones that look the same are different.

maggie_1936 08-11-2014 07:08 AM

I agree with ckcrowl

themachinelady 08-11-2014 07:58 AM

How do you tell bobbins that you have acquired fit what machine. I have a featherweight, Janome 10000, an American Home (Made by Necchi I am told) and a Singer (not sure of model). I got a whole bunch of bobbins at an auction with some other things, and am hoping that some will fit at least one or two of my machines, but how do I tell short of trying each bobbin in the machine itself. Can anyone give any advice on that? I have taken a marker and marked on the plastic bobbins with a small dot for my Janome and a letter for the other machine bobbins that I have. It doesn't need to be a big mark, just something you can see and it hasn't affected the sewing in any way.

tessagin 08-11-2014 08:14 AM

I'm a Ziploc user. I use the quart bags and mark on the outside which machine they belong. My 401 had bobbins that came with it and I have come to realize, they don't all belong to that machine. A couple of bobbins were rusty so having realized they didn't belong and even if they had got pitched.

Iraxy 08-11-2014 09:42 AM

I use nail polish to tell my bobbins apart. Red, blue and none. That way I never put them in the wrong zip lock bag or drawer. I put a dot on the side of the bobbin holder in the machine and that way I am sure I am putting in right bobbin.

Chasing Hawk 08-11-2014 09:52 AM

I use a sharpie and draw a line across the bobbin for my Bailey machine. My Brother embroidery machine uses pre-wound bobbins kept in a drawer near the machine. My Jamone hardly gets used but its bobbins are interchangeable with my Brother SQ900.