Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What kind of flooring should I put in my sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-kind-flooring-should-i-put-my-sewing-room-t230726.html)

cactusmomma 09-23-2013 04:45 AM

Mysty's Mom. I'm wondering what you do while you are sewing? :-)

Cecelia363 09-23-2013 08:27 AM

I had the same question. I have laminated wood in the dining room where I use the table for pinning fashion patterns, spilled a new box of pins with tiny glass heads, I had to use a magnet to get them out of the seams between the boards! Then I used June Tailor spray basting in there too. The laminate flooring mfg. give specific instructions to not use cleaners that could damage the gloss finish! What a pain that was! Now I spray outside and will put formica type flooring into my sewing room. I will read the mfg. cleaning instructions first though, I use a lot of spray starch too.

IBQUILTIN 09-23-2013 09:28 AM

Carpet tends to hold onto loose threads, laminate is easier to clean, but if you drop shears or snips they tend to puncture the laminate. The cork flooring is very comfortable and shows none of these traits and it is not expensive

roserips 09-23-2013 10:09 AM

I have had both in my sewing room, the laminate or vinyl is easy to clean, chairs roll easily on it and pins are easy to see. Carpet, does not show the dust and dirt, pins and threads may get stuck in it and chairs are harder to roll on it. I prefer the hard surfaces over carpet.

cathyvv 09-23-2013 10:22 AM

I'd do laminate, and, if your sewing room is in a cold part of the house - basement, north side, or on a slab - I would put some radiant heating under the flooring, at least at your primary sewing station. Radiant heat can be installed easily when putting in a new floor. It can be electric or hot water. I'd choose electric so I'd never have to worry about one of the little tubes of water under the floor bursting.

Latrinka 09-23-2013 10:52 AM

Had carpet where we lived before, and laminate now. Much prefer the laminate, easier to clean, chair rolls easily, can slide furniture around much easier.

ArchaicArcane 09-23-2013 11:47 AM

This house was fully carpeted when we bought. Before I sewed, we replaced all of the carpet with hardwood.

In my sewing room / workshop as well as most rooms, I have a rug down, for warmth, this is a cold place in the winter, and a space heater. In the dining room, where my frame is and I have one or 2 machines set up, there's a woodstove close by. There's still a rug under where my chair goes for the frame or the sewing machine. This protects the floor. Anything the wheels of your chair picks up is now acting like sand paper on your floor. I also now do all starching over the rug, why? The wood floor gets incredibly slippery from the starch over-spray. I almost fell the other day, and would have hit the side of the wood stove on my way down.

So my recommendation is for a hard floor, but a rug on top, in some spaces.

Debbie C 09-23-2013 03:25 PM

I have porcelain tile because my whole lower level is tiled. If I had my choice between carpet or hard flooring, the hard flooring would always win hands down - easier to clean, no pins in your feet or my furbabie's feet, just a quick broom/dustpan for snippets and you're done! Hope you post photos!!

Stitchnripper 09-23-2013 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6309742)
I'd do laminate, and, if your sewing room is in a cold part of the house - basement, north side, or on a slab - I would put some radiant heating under the flooring, at least at your primary sewing station. Radiant heat can be installed easily when putting in a new floor. It can be electric or hot water. I'd choose electric so I'd never have to worry about one of the little tubes of water under the floor bursting.

Great idea, we have heated floors in our bathroom, but, there were considerations of what could be under and over the heating element so make sure if you go this route that they are all compatible!!

jrhboxers 09-23-2013 03:58 PM

This house had hardwoods in the room that is now my sewing room. And I LOVE IT!!!!!! So easy to clean and I can roll between my work./cutting table, sewing desk and big board ironing board. SO great.