Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of flooring should I put in my sewing room?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

What kind of flooring should I put in my sewing room?

I'm redoing my flooring throughout my house. I'm putting laminated wood flooring in the living room and dining room and carpet in the bedrooms and vinyl in the bathrooms and laundry room and already have new vinyl in the kitchen. Should I put laminated wood in my sewing room or carpet and why?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have carpet in mine but either would be fine with me.

Blog Entries
    I have carpet in mine, but, laminate is much easier to clean & those pesky pins that leap out of my pincushion would also be easier to find. Saying that, if you have a rolling desk chair it also is easier to move on the laminate. But, I don't have any problems rolling mine on carpet. I like the warmth the carpet gives. Guess it depends on your needs & wants.
    Did any of that make sense? HaaHaa!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I had carpeting, in my old sewing room. Now I have laminate.
    With carpeting, I could lay out and baste a quilt, on the floor. Laminate makes it slip around, too much . . . BUT I now use Elmer's School Glue and my cutting table, so basting isn't a problem.
    Carpeting was friendlier to my feet (I sew with my pedal foot barefoot) . . . until I dropped a pin, which my barefoot did NOT find friendly.
    Overall, I think I prefer laminate. I can see what's on the floor, before I step on it.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Carpet is warmer on your feet but not as easy to clean, and can "hide" pins.

So what is more important to you? Do you need the warmth in the winter months? If not, I would go with a hard floor.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Banned
    I have laminate. Much easier to clean with 4 cats and a dog and all the threads and snippets of fabric in the sewing room. In fact I have laminate and laminate wood throughout my whole condo.

Laminated! Easier to clean up. No threads in carpet. Most of all, you can see needles and such when you drop them! Some of them little things hide in the carpet! I have Diabetes and my DH worries so much about me stepping on something.
    Penny
    Country 1

I have carpet but I don't like it. I drop pins and stuff on the floor and it would be so much easier just to take a broom and sweep it than to have to hung for the lost objects and then vacuum. Also get thread wrapped around the sweeper part of the vacuum and have to clean it out now and then. If we ever put in new floor coverings the sewing room will be laminate.

I have carpet, but would rather have laminate. Won't happen since my room is upstairs and hubby is afraid the noise level would be too high.

I have both . . . . . carpet at home and laminate at cabin. I would do laminate. It is so much easier to clean. You know "cleaning" that little project I always intend to do, but am captured by a project and put it off. LOL

I've had both and prefer laminate....The laminate I picked a peel and stick that was 12" sq. pattern so I could use it to measure also....I have it on a cement floor in the bsmt. Plus my serger is right next to my sewing machine and with a roller chair I can sail from one to the other..

Vat
    I have had carpet and would NEVER put is in a sewing room again. Because of dropping pin and not hearing them hit the floor and possibly stepping on them. I now have ceramic tile. Love it ! ! ! You can hear pins drop or anything else. Easy to vaccum, swiffer and mop. Holds up to any abuse. Wonderful ! !

Blog Entries
    Anything but carpet for me. I have real hardwood floors throughout the entire house and I absolutely love them. With 3 small dogs and my now 3 rescued kittens plus all the snippets hitting the floor they are so much easier to clean. And even with all the shedding going on around here lately I still breath easier since there is no carpet or rugs in the house for yukky stuff to hide in. And if my feet get chilly in the winter I put socks on. I will never have carpet again.

Power Poster
    I am using a stick and peel vinyl flooring that looks like wood. It is the easiest stuff to put down. It has a 25 year guarantee also...

Blog Entries
    My vote would be: not carpet. Choose the easy to clean flooring you prefer (laminate or vinyl) and get some cute throw rugs that are easily washable if you need to keep your tootsies warm. :-) I'd rather be sewing or playing than picking or vacuuming pins/threads out of carpet. I have vinyl (sunny South, warm floors) and wouldn't trade it for carpet.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have the wood 'planks' from costco and like it much better than carpet. Easier to clean, find pins and roll my chair. jmho, Jennifer

My sewing room is also a guest bedroom and it's carpeted. I love the warmth and softness of it, and my chair rolls on it just fine. In terms of resale, I would think a bedroom with laminate flooring would have limited appeal. Just depends how long you plan to be there. I'd say if more than 4 years, get the laminate. You can always cover it later if you don't like it.

Exactly what I was thinking!

I have oak hardwood floors from the 1940's and ceramic tile in my house. I hate carpet and would never have it installed.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

I absolutely love my laminate flooring in my sewing room. I can clean it so quickly and I never have to worry about pins in the carpet.

Blog Entries
    Mysty's Mom. I'm wondering what you do while you are sewing? :-)

Blog Entries
    I had the same question. I have laminated wood in the dining room where I use the table for pinning fashion patterns, spilled a new box of pins with tiny glass heads, I had to use a magnet to get them out of the seams between the boards! Then I used June Tailor spray basting in there too. The laminate flooring mfg. give specific instructions to not use cleaners that could damage the gloss finish! What a pain that was! Now I spray outside and will put formica type flooring into my sewing room. I will read the mfg. cleaning instructions first though, I use a lot of spray starch too.

Carpet tends to hold onto loose threads, laminate is easier to clean, but if you drop shears or snips they tend to puncture the laminate. The cork flooring is very comfortable and shows none of these traits and it is not expensive

I have had both in my sewing room, the laminate or vinyl is easy to clean, chairs roll easily on it and pins are easy to see. Carpet, does not show the dust and dirt, pins and threads may get stuck in it and chairs are harder to roll on it. I prefer the hard surfaces over carpet.

I'd do laminate, and, if your sewing room is in a cold part of the house - basement, north side, or on a slab - I would put some radiant heating under the flooring, at least at your primary sewing station. Radiant heat can be installed easily when putting in a new floor. It can be electric or hot water. I'd choose electric so I'd never have to worry about one of the little tubes of water under the floor bursting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast