Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Flooring suggestions for sewing room.

Flooring suggestions for sewing room.

I see a new, dedicated sewing room in my life (happy, happy days) and I would like suggestions for flooring. I know I don't want carpet. I may continue to pin baste quilts on the floor and was wondering if some flooring is better for this than others. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would go for a nice smooth slip-free tile. Easy to clean but wouldn't be damaged by pin pricks from pin basting. I have pin basted with Sharon Shamberg's method of sew basting. Just pinning instead.

I used laminate flooring, easy cleaned, you can see any pins. easily installed and not too expensive.

I had luxury vinyl put in and it's awesome. I picked a hardwood look, and everyone who has seen it thought it was hardwood. It's awesome to keep clean, too.

Do a subject search on this forum...this has been discussed over and over.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Sandy, I did search flooring on the forum but the only ones I found discussed cleaning and marring from chairs and furniture. I am questioning the best type of flooring for pin basting. I don't want a new floor to have nicks in it from pins and yet I want the pin to go all the way through the quilt. Perhaps you could direct me to a specific thread that specifically discusses pin basting. Thank you.

We put a vinyl plank flooring in our DR a few years ago. I love it. The surface has a 'distressed' look (hammer head marks). The color goes all the way through the plank. We plan on putting it in other areas of the house as well. If I didn't have 200+ yr old hardwood in my sewing room already, I'd put this flooring in there without hesitation. It's Allure brand from Home Depot.

Power Poster
    I have a very short pile commercial grade carpeting in our basement. Pins are easy to find on it.

Blog Entries
    My sewing trailer has a vinyl flooring. I was going to put a carpet in there but decided against it as it will be easier to clean and also my chair just glides on the floor

I haven't pinned on my floor but I have noticed that it does mar so I am sure pins will leave a mark. I have the floating floor wood look. I wanted to put in linoleum or vinyl tiles but didn't have the resources for that. If I had the money I would put in vinyl of some sort.
    Lynda

I have wood floors, tile floors, laminate floor and carpeted floors (I have a big house) and my favorite is by far the luxury vinyl. It's quieter, softer and easiest to clean and keeps its "new look". Love it.

Blog Entries
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    I love my laminate flooring. I would think any flat hard flooring would be great and easy to clean and find the pins.

Suz
    My daughter has a cork floor in her sewing room. When you have to spend a lot of time on your feet around the table, you legs and feet thank you. The floor is pretty, easy to clean and just enough give. So, if you are planning to do the floor only once, the cork should be considered.

Ii have a plank vinyl that has some texture -- it works well for me but I don't pin baste on my floor.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    My daughter has a cork floor in her sewing room. When you have to spend a lot of time on your feet around the table, you legs and feet thank you. The floor is pretty, easy to clean and just enough give. So, if you are planning to do the floor only once, the cork should be considered.
    I have a cork floor and I really really like it. Easy to clean but also has a little cushion to it so its easy to stand on. I even think it's warmer than a wood floor. In our former house we had cork floor in a bedroom and it's over 60 years old and didnt show any wear! I also have it in the kitchen so you might say cork flooring is my favorite! There's a variety of colors and designs too.

I would be happy with anything except carpet! Any smooth surface to easily clean and pick u pins and thread. My personal preference is ceramic tile...second best would be linoleum...only because hardwood needs more care, and who wants to do that?

Who wants to kneel on the ceramic tile floor to pin baste? Your knees will be hurting. I also know that your legs will ache if you spend a ton of time standing and walking on ceramic tile.
    Like Karamarie, I also have various flooring throughout my home. When we built we put a high grade of carpet in what is now my sewing room. I have no trouble finding pins....I could use a magnet if I did.

However, whatever you decide, I would also recommend the Sharon Shambers method of basting a quilt...whether it be for hand quilting or machine quilting (find it on you tube). It does take a bit more time but your quilt sandwich is more stable and won't shift. You can then baste your quilt on a table and not kill your knees on the floor. I have done it both ways and I will never kneel to baste a quilt again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I would go for a nice smooth slip-free tile. Easy to clean but wouldn't be damaged by pin pricks from pin basting. I have pin basted with Sharon Shamberg's method of sew basting. Just pinning instead.
    I agree. Sharon Shamberg's method of basting a quilt in fantastic. It is worth the investment for a couple sets of boards. Since I enjoy hand basting with the tailor's basting method, I am in seventh heaven! Congrats on your room.

Power Poster
    I have Alure on my floor. It is a stick down flooring that looks like wood. It is easy to install, easy to maintain, reasonable in price and has a 25 year guarentee.

I have laminate wood flooring and I love it.

I, too, think you should investigate Sharon S' way of basting. It really works well.