Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you store batting?

How do you store batting?

I have a big roll of batting that fits well in the closet but I have about 10-12 king size bags of batting that I have bought on sale that are really hard to store because they slide all over the place. I took a couple of lengths of batting out and put them in the space saver bags but the seal did not hold and it exploded.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Do you still have the shipping box the roll of batting came in? You could "stack" the 10 king size bags of batting in that nicely, in the closet next to the roll.

I have always bought a roll which I use to have hang over my work table. I can see the difficulty you are having.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    ​I have my bag batts on top of my fabric cupboard. Can you put your bags inside a mesh laundry bag? How about a clothes hamper?

My batts in bags are stored on top of shelving in my quilting room. I haven't had a problem with sliding, but I don't have as many in bags as you do. I do have a number of rolls of batting in a guest room closet.

Thanks. Don't have the box the roll of batting came in -- DH recycled that right away. The netting is an interesting way to corral the bags -- I will need a couple but still have to figure out where to put it.

I do have some space on top of the shelves where the fabric is stored (there is a railing around the top of the shelves - they were made by my Dad). I could put batting up there, but right now it has all my small bins with sorted scraps. Hmmm..... I have to think this through.....
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I have not done this but had a thought - what about taking an empty tube, take the batting out of the bag and roll it onto the empty tube. Or if you want to do it right away and the local fabric store doesn't want to give you an empty tube maybe you could buy one of those pool noodles and wind it onto that.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have some batting wrapped around fabric bolts (the flatboard).

I just saw something yesterday on Pinterest where someone used bungie cords to trap their pillow forms... In the corner of the room, she put two eye screws in the ceiling about a 6" apart and another two in the floor, then stretched a bungie cord between the ceiling and the floor. It trapped her slippery, plastic covered pillow forms! That might work...

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I have not done this but had a thought - what about taking an empty tube, take the batting out of the bag and roll it onto the empty tube. Or if you want to do it right away and the local fabric store doesn't want to give you an empty tube maybe you could buy one of those pool noodles and wind it onto that.
    This would be my suggestion as well.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Blog Entries
    Between two layers of pieced cotton.

I have put packaged bat in pillow cases and left them on the bed and in the chair in my guest room. Also under the bed.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

First, I'd take them out of the packaging so they stop sliding! Then I would hurry to use them up first, before cutting anything off the big roll. Ten quilts shouldn't take too long to make, huh?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    First, I'd take them out of the packaging so they stop sliding! Then I would hurry to use them up first, before cutting anything off the big roll. Ten quilts shouldn't take too long to make, huh?
    It is true. You can take them out and then just fold them. They don't slide anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I took a couple of lengths of batting out and put them in the space saver bags but the seal did not hold and it exploded.

Okay, I know I shouldn't laugh, but I had the best mental image of this happening......LOL

I bought my Warm N Natural batting on a roll in a box. Then I made a slit in the box and store it behind a bed out of sight. As I need it, I roll it out on the bed and cut. Works for me. Smaller pieces get stored where I have room.

I like the pool noodle idea. Is it sturdy enough to stand up?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I heard a long armer that used the rolling base of an old office chair to slide her batting roll onto and then she can just pull if off and cut. I have the old office chair and took of the chair part--but can't figure out how to get rid of the hydraulic base--any ideas? anyone ever do this? I think it would be great for the long arm studio.

I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

Blog Entries
    I know someone who stores her batts in the bath tub. Fortunately, in a bathroom that's not often used for bathing.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    I'm having a hard time visualizing that.
    I can understand the confusion--basically it uses the base of the rolling chair, along with a part of the post that holds up the chair seat--then you put a piece of PVC plastic pipe over the post part and just drop the roll of bat (the cardboard part) over the PVC pipe--that way you can pull out the amount of bat needed and cut straight down. For those that have worked in a school, it's like the big rolling carts for the butcher paper that is used on bulletin boards, etc. And by having it standing upright, the roll doesn't take up as much room. But I can't figure out how to get the lift part off the chair assembly--my husband rescused a chair base from the trash for me and I'd like to get this taken care.

Thanks! That makes sense to me now. Hope you are able to figure this out.