Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Why, oh why, couldn't I have thought of this when (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/why-oh-why-couldnt-i-have-thought-when-t242172.html)

flybreit 03-01-2014 04:07 AM

Great idea! here's another (works in stores too when you're not sure how much is on a bolt) - make sure your folds, boards, ruler - whatever you wrap around - are 9" wide. Then 2 full wraps will be approximately a yard (9 + 9 (one wrap) + 9 + 9 (2nd wrap) = 36". If you don't have a 9" something or your fabric is already folded to a different size, just measure it flat and determine how that divides into 36" and you'll know how many wraps = a yard. Quick and easy - that's for me :-)

toverly 03-01-2014 07:00 AM

Thank you flybreit, I never thought of that. It was an "ahah moment" when I read your post. I ruler folded my yardage at 6 inches. I probably would have eventually counted wraps but then again, I probably wouldn't have thought of it. I did put the straight edges on the inside so I didn't have any surprises or odd angles when unfolding.

sharin'Sharon 03-01-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ (Post 6601102)
I like this idea. I would worry about sticky residue from the label. I have bought fat quarters with sticky labels that left so much gum in the fabric that it never came out. I hope the address labels work better.

I have used these same size address labels on my fabric for years and have NEVER had trouble with sticky residue on the fabric. I keep all my fabric marked whether it be yardage or scrap; my fat qrtrs are in separate drawers so they aren't marked.

wolph33 03-04-2014 04:19 PM

I have been pinning the sizes if more than 2 yds and off the bolt.if I used comic boards I would never have time to sew.

beckyj 12-07-2015 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ (Post 6601102)
I like this idea. I would worry about sticky residue from the label. I have bought fat quarters with sticky labels that left so much gum in the fabric that it never came out. I hope the address labels work better.

I'm putting the label stickers on the tie.

zozee 12-07-2015 11:58 AM

Sounds neat and organized to me! I spent more time measuring , reclining, tying and re folding when I tried that method. I soon realized I was quicker at estimating on the spot if a piece would work, and re folding it

ManiacQuilter2 12-08-2015 08:55 AM

You are not alone. I struggle with trying to get organized every day. It is so much fun to pull out fabric when designing a quilt but so difficult for me to get it nicely folded and put back where it belongs!

DOTTYMO 12-09-2015 12:13 AM

In our local cheap fabric shop, Aberkhan , after they cut a length of fabric on a bolt they mark how much is left. They have small labels to write on, eg 4.3m , then use a stapler to hold it in a corner of the fabric. No residue and small holes are in the selvedge area. Quick and easy.

OhCanada 12-09-2015 12:23 AM

Can you post a photo when you have it all organized?

tuckyquilter 12-09-2015 08:53 PM

I often sew a piece of paper with the size of the fabric to the top folded label. Much easier for me too.