Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Why, oh why, couldn't I have thought of this when (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/why-oh-why-couldnt-i-have-thought-when-t242172.html)

cathyvv 02-27-2014 05:04 PM

Why, oh why, couldn't I have thought of this when

..I bought my first 'stash' fabric? Probably because 'neat' and 'organized' are not traits that are ever used to describe me!

I recently bought two 100 count sets of comic boards. Some of my fabric is folded and pinned to them. But it seems to take up a lot of room that I won't have when I am done.

So I switched to fold, measure length of fabric, tie with a labeled strip of selvage (or inch wide strips of fabric). First I put two 1 x 2-5/8th address labels on each strip of fabric, one on each side of the width of the strip, glue side together. Then I write the length, and, if applicable, the width, and tie up the piece of fabric. (Width is noted for any fabrics over 45 " wide.) I position the labels about middle of the length of my tie strip so that the label doesn't get caught in the bow that I tie to secure the fabric.

Writing the length and width of the fabric on the address label means I can 'shop' my fabrics and not have to take unfold to see how much of a particular fabric I have, then re-fold to put away if there isn't enough for the quilt I'm making or I decide not to use it.

If I use some, but not all, of a fabric, I can re-tie the remaining fabric, cross out the old size info and write the new on the other side of the label.

Cheaper than the comic boards, and it takes less room.

gsbuffalo 02-28-2014 02:59 AM

great idea and affordable.

didi 02-28-2014 05:08 AM

Thanks for the idea...I'll have to try this, when I move into my new room.

ShirlinAZ 02-28-2014 06:40 AM

I like this idea. I would worry about sticky residue from the label. I have bought fat quarters with sticky labels that left so much gum in the fabric that it never came out. I hope the address labels work better.

Wild8580 02-28-2014 08:05 AM

Can you post a picture?

donnajean 02-28-2014 08:10 AM

I used to write the amt. of yardage in the selvage as I purchased each piece of fabric.

KwiltyKahy 02-28-2014 08:26 AM

What a great idea. If I ever get organized, I hope I remember this.

JulieR 02-28-2014 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ (Post 6601102)
I like this idea. I would worry about sticky residue from the label. I have bought fat quarters with sticky labels that left so much gum in the fabric that it never came out. I hope the address labels work better.

It sounds like she's sticking the labels to each other around the selvage strips that are then tied around the folded piece.

pw6 02-28-2014 12:38 PM

gessssssssssss, I would be weeks doing that to my fabric. but very creative and will keep in in mind for the future ..thanks

mjhaess 02-28-2014 04:03 PM

Great idea...