Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Wire shelving units (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/wire-shelving-units-t246432.html)

palmetto girl 05-10-2014 04:57 PM

I have some left over laminate flooring, works great. If you don't have any try buying some vinyl or flooring from maybe $ general or family $. wouldn't be expensive.

MsHeirloom 05-10-2014 07:07 PM

You all really came through for me. We found some thin, painted paneling at Home Depot. I can get 5 shelf liners out of each piece $13). So that's the way I'm probably going. It will be fairly quick and nice and smooth with no seams. If I cover them with foil they'd also be very bright. The 4 shelf liners I bought at Amazon are also very nice. Maybe I'll sell something(s) and buy enough of them to do all my fabric shelves. Thank you all for the great ideas. When my room is in order, I'll publish pictures of my "new" and much improved space.

Mousie 05-11-2014 12:35 AM

yippee! more pics :)

Tink's Mom 05-11-2014 04:53 AM

How about buying a remnant of clear vinyl from JoAnn's? I would buy the thickest one so that it is really stable.

MsHeirloom 05-14-2014 02:09 PM

Well, I broke down and ordered a total of 12 shelf liners. The first four I received were just so nice that I wasn't going to be happy with anything else. Some things are just worth it. Besides, I was feeling like rewarding myself for working so hard on this project! The room will not be picture-worthy for awhile, but I do promise to post pictures of my "new" space and all my hard work! Thanks, again. I am so excited to get this done, but realistically, I have set a goal for the sorting, releasing, re-organization, and re-decorating to be complete by September 1.

TerrimB 05-15-2014 05:13 AM

What about shelf liner or contact paper ( the sticky sort you can put anywhere)? You'll definitely need something the fabric can slide on and I think the rubber stuff might not do that for you. If you do wind up using your fabric and tying it at the corners, can you hit it with spray starch to stiffen it?

MsHeirloom 05-15-2014 06:42 AM

I think the fabric will slide just fine on the shelf liners I bought. I have 18" deep shelves and have set them up jutting into the room (think library bays) so that I have 2 rows of fabric with access on both sides.

Karen.W 05-18-2014 05:27 AM

Container store sells plastic shelf liners that fit the wire shelving from Sam's perfectly. Nothing falls through.

Onebyone 05-18-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom (Post 6716371)
Well, I broke down and ordered a total of 12 shelf liners. The first four I received were just so nice that I wasn't going to be happy with anything else. Some things are just worth it.

I agree! The liners are made to do the job and look nice.

michelleoc 05-18-2014 08:01 AM

I use wire shelves for my stash. I buy W&N batting by the roll and I cut apart the box that it came in to line the shelves.