Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Wire shelving units (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/wire-shelving-units-t246432.html)

MizMelly 05-23-2014 07:42 AM

I purchased my wire shelving (Closet Maid) from Home Depot and had the same problem with my mini bolts falling through the slats. I happened to have a roll of that plastic canvas for needlepoint, and was able to cut that up into strips and laid it down on the shelving. Works great and the shelving has air circulation! So it's all acid free.
I have not been able to find any more of that plastic canvas by the bolt tho. It was so many years since I had purchased the last piece that I no longer recall where I got it from. But it solved my shelving problem and made me very happy...!!!

Peterswife 05-26-2014 01:29 AM

I also have a wire basket/drawer unit.....I used an old Cutting mat to line the drawers...reuse & recycle!

MsHeirloom 08-01-2014 08:53 AM

Fabric finally on Shelves

2 Attachment(s)
It's been a long summer with my husband hospitalized 5 times, but things are getting back to normal and the re-organization back on track. My shelves have the liners from Amazon and all my quilting cottons (that I am keeping) are now rolled onto comic boards and shelved in rainbow order on one side of the shelves and neutrals and fat quarters on the other side. I have access to both sides of the shelves. I WILL be making curtains to protect my beautiful fabrics from light damage. I am so happy with how they look. I can now "shop my stash!"

MFord 08-01-2014 09:00 AM

Your shelves look beautiful! I'm so happy you made it work right - and I really like how you used plastic containers for your smaller pieces - I've just bought some comic book boards and realized some pieces just weren't going to work, but I didn't know how to shelve the small pieces so I could see them.

PS - for those who want to go cheap, acid-free, and cute, how about using cardboard wrapped in tinfoil wrapped in a piece of fabric with ribbon ties at the corners? I think I might try that as I have similar shelving.

cashs_mom 08-01-2014 09:59 AM

I've used old cardboards from various sources to make the bottoms of wire shelves solid. Just watch out because most of them will have acid in them which is not good for fabrics. Foam core board would be an excellent choice for your use.

Tropical 08-01-2014 12:45 PM

I use poster board I buy at Walmart. It is easy to cut to fit the size I need. I don't always cover the whole shelf. :):):)

GailG 08-01-2014 07:59 PM

MsHeirloom, I can see why you have such a beautiful smile. The shelves are great. Congratulations on a great job.

Prim Quilts 08-02-2014 10:46 AM

Looks awesome!

MsHeirloom 08-03-2014 06:43 PM

Thanks, everyone. Looking at all my organizational efforts does make me smile. It looks like I will meet my September 1 goal!!!!!

DOTTYMO 08-31-2014 02:46 AM

Use some comic boards on the shelf until you can afford something else. Cardboard from deliveries cut to size. At times I just don't want to go out and spend I use a substitute . I have been known to use old magazines I was going to through after taking out patterns I want.